Canyon Aeroad - Read if you planning on purchasing one

button

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried out a few top tube tuck positions on my Spez Roubaix and can report that the top tube is still fine (just checked it).

I am however not convinced I was any faster comparing to my normal "sitting on tip of saddle with hands in drops " descending position.

After reading this thread I will however not sit on the top tube it again although I admit that it made me feel "pro" at the time. :P

Cool good to know....Ja you can’t have enough Specialized’s ????

There’s a reason why pro cyclists have so many scars

Edited by SwissVan

In my experience sitting on the top tube is entirely normal, I've been doing it since 1988. You're expected to do so when waiting at the start line, then again when spinning out. This is specifically outlined in The Rules, to wit:

1. Rule #23//
    Tuck only after reaching Escape Velocity.

You may only employ the aerodynamic tuck after you have spun out your 53 x 11; the tuck is to be engaged only when your legs can no longer keep up. Your legs make you go fast, and trying to keep your fat ass out of the wind only serves to keep you from slowing down once you reach escape velocity. Thus, the tuck is only to be employed to prevent you slowing down when your legs have wrung the top end out of your block. Tucking prematurely while descending is the antithesis of Casually Deliberate. For more on riding fast downhill see Rule #64 and Rule #85.

Waiting for others pre-ride or at the start line pre-race, you must be tranquilo, resting on your top tube thusly. This may be extended to any time one is aboard the bike, but not riding it, such as at stop lights.15

IMHO, your top tube should handle your weight.

Please share your engineering background with us.

How many successful frames have you designed and produced to market as reference?

Does he need an engineering background to be able to recognise a possible design flaw?

Plenty people do their taxes on their own, but don't necessarily need a degree in taxation. . . 

No bunny hopping these bikes

Bought my Canyon in March this year. Already got well over 3000 km on it.  It deals pretty well with bunny hop and jumping pavements.  I admit that I never sit on the top tube but those who know me know that I don't mess around going downhill.  I have manage quite well going down without sitting on the tob tube.  I remember man of the pros in the Tour de France who also managed to stay with the peleton without having to be on their top tube.

Does he need an engineering background to be able to recognise a possible design flaw?

Plenty people do their taxes on their own, but don't necessarily need a degree in taxation. . . 

You're right. I make my own food but I'm not a qualified chef.

It's exactly the same thing, I guess he can design and build his own carbon frames based on that logic. 

Please share your engineering background with us.

How many successful frames have you designed and produced to market as reference?

Thats a genuine question right.

I miss no point at all. You are trying to compare two completely different loading of the frame because they look similar. Weight on the pedals in motion is concentrated through the B.B. area, especially in that stupid top tube seated position. In effect hanging a weight from the B.B. while forcing the bike up through the contact patches and then trying to tear it apart down the middle of the frame via the top tube load.

It’s not the same as sitting on the frame while stationary.

You don’t have the acceleration forces s participating. You don’t have the inertial loads varying with speed. The two scenarios are different .

End of story.

Try and pull another one.

The tt aero tuck is pretty new.

Hmm,

I've been doing it for 20 years.  I've been trying to find early youtube footage to prove it's much older, so far:

Andy Shleck, 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK7Jho67a-E

Sammy Sanchez, 2011, same video

Vino, 2005,

Botero, 2005,

(off the front of the saddle, no weight on tt)

Vino, 2007,

off to work now

I'm sure earlier videos can be found.

Even though I never aero tuck, there is no way I want a frame with this weakness. This is a clear design flaw from Canyon

Perhaps it’s more a weakness than a flaw?

If it was a flaw as such, there would likely have been a recall?

You're right. I make my own food but I'm not a qualified chef.

It's exactly the same thing, I guess he can design and build his own carbon frames based on that logic. 

Big deal. I breath all by myself and I'm not a doctor.

Hmm,

I've been doing it for 20 years. I've been trying to find early youtube footage to prove it's much older, so far:

Andy Shleck, 2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK7Jho67a-E

Sammy Sanchez, 2011, same video

Vino, 2005, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KELC9VZxEw

Botero, 2005, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j84t7HHJqws (off the front of the saddle, no weight on tt)

Vino, 2007, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQD3xOuR8l4

off to work now

I'm sure earlier videos can be found.

I’m struggling to understand the relevance of this?

Are we saying that because people have done it before, that it should become accepted normal usage?

How many of you clamp your bikes by the top tube when on a work stand?

Or tow bar bike rack? Good point.

Well that's a crappy one, so you can't hit a pothole because of fear the frame will break. You also cant bunny-hop over said pothole because it would void the warranty.........

If you hit a pothole or crash/break the frame because of a bunny hop, it is by definition an insurance claim.

If you hit a pothole or crash/break the frame because of a bunny hop, it is by definition an insurance claim.

or go over a speed bump and it cracks .