How to find cycling mojo

Pure Savage

Maybe he is just at that stage of life where pushing yourself, racing and times just don't matter any more.

At some point a lot of people think " sub 3, been there done that so what if the next time is 3.30, what does it really matter?"

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few ideas  :huh:

FORCED RECOVERY Take his bike away from him for 30 days. 

HEALTH Encourage him to gp to a good sports physician and check out his critical levels 

INSPIRATION Tie him to a chair in front of a big tv screen for 3 hrs and put Sagan's first rainbow jersey victory in Richmond on repeat - the final 5 kms, no hydration, no snacks, fasting.

PURPOSE Maybe he must reconfigure why he cycles. He may have a new view.

Suggest he takes up a new sport.

Then make sure he tries something really k@k, like cricket... running !

Then he'll come running back the the good old times.

fixed

I've had a similar experience with video games. I was super into it, spent a lot of money on it and a LOT of time. I grew tired of it and started playing less and less until it felt like a chore to play.

Thinking back now, it was a distraction from being bored of my course at varsity and compensating for that by throwing myself into gaming. The same thing happened before I left my previous job. I was subconsciously bored at work and unfulfilled, so I found gaming again.

While it may be that he's going through some form of depression, it may also be that cycling was a distraction from something else that is no longer an issue, thus no more need for a replacement. He may be in a much better head space now, not necessarily a worse one.

OP, from your (understandably vague post), it'd seem there's more to this than a bike, riding a bike or who he rides with. could be something small. could be something earth-shattering. or anything in between.

as a friend, it could be seen as your duty, and privilege, to help someone you care about through what could be a difficult and trying time.

basically, not feeling 'lus' to ride a bike could be the tip of an iceberg.

good luck.

PS. I presume he's not a hubber...

Maybe he is just at that stage of life where pushing yourself, racing and times just don't matter any more.

At some point a lot of people think " sub 3, been there done that so what if the next time is 3.30, what does it really matter?"

Then you set yourself a new goal.  A new challenge.

Something difficult.  Sub 3 is fairly "easy" when you train hard.

So you have to go beyond.  Set a goal and work towards that.

I find that when I don't have set goals, the mojo is lacking

So one of my riding buds has lost his mojo with respect to cycling. 

I am not 100% sure why, as he is not cycling so can not shoot the breeze on the ride. 

Coming of TOGH and a rather wet winter its not been lekker booty calls every ride. 

Is time away the best option, he has been riding for 5 years constantly and never really taken more than 3 weeks off. 

Main reason I ride my bike is the mates. 

Any help, previous experience or suggestions appreciated.

attachicon.gifFav.JPG

I used to get up before 5 about twice a week to do some groups rides, would do a long ride on the weekend (>100km) and typically twice a week I'd do some more intense stuff like hill intervals. I did a bunch of races and worked my way up to the A group. Then one morning I just found myself asking "Why the hell am I doing this? It's become a chore." I went back to bed. Entirely my fault, I was obsessive about it and burnt myself out. Obsessive (not obsessive compulsive) people will be able to relate.

Anyway, I just kinda stopped riding for a few months. Then I slowly started to ride a bit more again, probably about 50kms a week. I don't ride with my mates all that much anymore - they are still doing the kinda stuff I used to do. I do probably two gentle rides a week, only if I really feel like it. I guess it's a bit bleak that I don't see as much of them, but at the same time I can see a desperation in some of them to retain the fittest version of themselves, despite getting on in years. I mean no disrespect by it - that's just what I see now that I'm outside of it. 

So maybe your mate is in the same headspace as that. 

Or maybe he's reading these posts somewhere laughing to himself at our uninformed psychoanalysis thinking "Geez guys, why so serious, I was just waiting for my new bar tape to arrive from chain reaction cycles. When's the next ride?"

Then you set yourself a new goal.  A new challenge.

Something difficult.  Sub 3 is fairly "easy" when you train hard.

So you have to go beyond.  Set a goal and work towards that.

I find that when I don't have set goals, the mojo is lacking

I agree with you totally. Goals are extremely important. Some people however can find it difficult to move from a targeted time to just ride the race , finish and enjoy it and then end up stopping entirely.

OP, from your (understandably vague post), it'd seem there's more to this than a bike, riding a bike or who he rides with. could be something small. could be something earth-shattering. or anything in between.

as a friend, it could be seen as your duty, and privilege, to help someone you care about through what could be a difficult and trying time.

basically, not feeling 'lus' to ride a bike could be the tip of an iceberg.

good luck.

PS. I presume he's not a hubber...

We will find out soon I guess. But I think it applies to most people at some point. So may help others. I know at 4:45 there a few questions about what on earth I am doing.

Also, as seen from responses there are a lot of things that cause this, knowing all of these enables better understanding I guess.

Suggest he takes up a new sport.

Then make sure he tries something really k@k, like cricket...

Then he'll come running back the the good old times.

fixed

Referencing the post you fixed, I used to think running was... meh!

828km later, and I have an alternative means of keeping fit. Especially when time is limited. 30 minutes or 5km and it’s as good as a 90 min workout on the IDT but with an hour more to do other things.

Edited by Frosty

If you find the answer please let me know as well...I often go through a slump from time to time myself, really not sure why. What I do know is that if I do stop completely I'd be miserable so in a way that keeps me going. And miserable in the sense of unhealthy and feeling very very uncomfortable (read fat). So that too is motivation. Then I'd have a fat bank account ( well not fat but fatter than what it currently is and believe me that's not fat ) and then I think hey why do you work so hard if you can't spend money on yourself and your loved ones making memories.

Thanks, this was quite therapeutic. Someone needs to take this oke for a beer or a cuppa, he probably just needs to analyse why he loves the sport so much. For the love of cycling...

i've been where you mate is now.

throwing money at the problem wont help. i bought new wheels, new bikes etc.

in the end i went through a period of 3 years off the bike before i found my mojo again.

what got me back on the bike?

i looked in the mirror and did not like what a saw.

then i did a few rides. then i rode with a mate who i use to destroy on any ride and he blew me off - that was not on!

so i started again in earnest. and as the fitness came, i started to enjoy my riding again. 

but to get me on a bike in those 3 years of wandering the woods? never.

i did however develop other interests, whiskey, wine, sleep...

as a side, i found that my concentration at work is better if i have done some physical activity. 

without it i am like a ADHD child on a sugar high

Edited by Furbz