Intervals.icu interval detection and training tool

Thats an interesting question. I only found out about EPOC recently in the context of alternatives to TSS that more accurately represent training load. Its quite possible that it doesn't correlate at all.

I can't see EPOC anywhere on Garmin Connect for my rides? Where do you get to see it?

Hi David

Sorry! Only saw your response now.

Garmin uses Firstbeat tech under license and they use Epoc to grade excercise impact.....

I can only assume the training load that garmin gives are these Epoc values since it is not TSS. 

Garmin's tech people is unfortunately so useless that they could not even answer me the simple question on why does my TSS value and my training load not correspond. Well, obviously it is because it is not the same thing

The loads however does not always make sense to me. Sometimes i do an hour workout on trainer at an avg HR of about 135 and get a 50 odd training load. After the double century for example i had a TSS of just over 400 but Garmin gives me a training load of just over 100. Needless to say i questioned this with them as well and needless to say no response in 2 or 3 weeks from them either. I really like their devices but their service (on the tech side) is shocking to say the least

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi David

Sorry! Only saw your response now.

Garmin uses Firstbeat tech under license and they use Epoc to grade excercise impact.....

I can only assume the training load that garmin gives are these Epoc values since it is not TSS.

Garmin's tech people is unfortunately so useless that they could not even answer me the simple question on why does my TSS value and my training load not correspond. Well, obviously it is because it is not the same thing

The loads however does not always make sense to me. Sometimes i do an hour workout on trainer at an avg HR of about 135 and get a 50 odd training load. After the double century for example i had a TSS of just over 400 but Garmin gives me a training load of just over 100. Needless to say i questioned this with them as well and needless to say no response in 2 or 3 weeks from them either. I really like their devices but their service (on the tech side) is shocking to say the least

Send a query to DCRainmaker as he has a very good relationship with Garmin, and might just be able to answer it, or try get an answer.

The activity detail pages now show HRR (heart rate recovery) and the fitness stats.

HRR measures how quickly you recover after a hard effort. It is the largest drop in HR over 60 seconds starting from a HR of at least Z5 (threshold). It is shown in the heartrate trace on the chart. Recovery sections in activities with power are ignored if the average power is more than 1/3 of FTP or 5s power is more than 1/2 of FTP. So it is best to freewheel. The general idea is that, the faster or greater your drop in heart rate, the better your recovery - www.pezcyclingnews.com

post-5083-0-25906200-1577265318_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey David

I accidentally stumbled accross intervals.icu on the Trainerroad forum. I absolutely love it! I have a question regarding the weekly classification (base, polarized etc). I don't use a power meter on my outdoor rides. Does iicu use my HR to determine the classification of the estimated power curves from strava?

Thanks David, you built something really useful! 

Thanks! Intervals.icu doesn't use estimated power data from Strava, they don't give that out via their API and in my experience it is not very reliable anyway.

For activities with HR and no power the "time in heart rate zones" is used. The weekly summary info combines the time in the HR and power zones. So if you spend 30m in Z4 power on the trainer and then another 10m outdoor in Z4 heart rate it will be 40m Z4 in total for the week.

This falls down a bit if you are doing short high intensity intervals as your HR doesn't respond quickly enough. But those are best done with power anyway.

Thanks! Intervals.icu doesn't use estimated power data from Strava, they don't give that out via their API and in my experience it is not very reliable anyway.

For activities with HR and no power the "time in heart rate zones" is used. The weekly summary info combines the time in the HR and power zones. So if you spend 30m in Z4 power on the trainer and then another 10m outdoor in Z4 heart rate it will be 40m Z4 in total for the week.

This falls down a bit if you are doing short high intensity intervals as your HR doesn't respond quickly enough. But those are best done with power anyway.

Awesome, I was really hoping this was how it works. I could not find a tool that nicely showed polarization over weeks and this does exactly that.

A great feature (maybe something like this already exists and I have not found it yet) would be to select a custom date range and view the classification/intensity distribution over that range.

A great feature (maybe something like this already exists and I have not found it yet) would be to select a custom date range and view the classification/intensity distribution over that range.

Good idea, it doesn't exist yet. I have added it to the todo list.

Heartrate spikes are now detected and fixed by comparing the HR trace to your max HR. Spikes above max HR are replaced with a line interpolated between the HR values before and after the spike. If the HR data for an activity is very poor you can ignore the HR trace by clicking the cog icon. You can see the unmodified HR trace by clicking the charts button and adding Raw HR.

post-5083-0-70000200-1578314584_thumb.png

Edited by davidtinker

The activity heart rate page has 2 new charts. The first shows HR duration curves i.e. how long have you managed to sustain a given heart rate for with lines for the activity, last 42 days and seasons. The second chart shows total time accumulated at or above the indicated heart rate during the activity. Handy for checking that those VO2 max intervals are hitting the spot!

post-5083-0-31228800-1578755448_thumb.png

Hi David

Even though my Swim FTP is set in settings, the information does not pull through when viewing the activity?

When I click on the swim activity, at the top "Pace, Intensity, load" information is shown but Swim FTP is ?/100m, to which I have to manually edit to include the information.

Perhaps you can have a look at?

Even though my Swim FTP is set in settings, the information does not pull through when viewing the activity?

When I click on the swim activity, at the top "Pace, Intensity, load" information is shown but Swim FTP is ?/100m, to which I have to manually edit to include the information.

Perhaps you can have a look at?

Sure. Please msg me your Strava ID or Intervals.icu email address.

If you set a Swim FTP it only applies to new activities. You can use the "Edit" button on the calendar page to apply it to older activities. Just clear out the other fields.

Edited by davidtinker

Sure. Please msg me your Strava ID or Intervals.icu email address.

If you set a Swim FTP it only applies to new activities. You can use the "Edit" button on the calendar page to apply it to older activities. Just clear out the other fields.

Will do.

Swim FTP was set weeks ago but has never pulled through on any of the swim activities.