Racers fail doping tests for EWS

Capricorn

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know?

How do you know that talent isn't reflexes boosted by a beta blocker?  First positive doping test during the 2008 olympics was for the sport of shooting.

How do you know you the skills don't come from faster recovery to ride more?  And from faster pedalling to do more downhill runs in a day?

I can't say for sure. And from own experience, I can agree that fitness, mentally and physically, will lead to increased performances. 

However, in almost all sporting codes, you usually have a handful of individuals at the top, usually dominating their game, be it EWS, tennis, rugby or motor sports. Usually they're unrivaled by their peers. Is it because they're fitter or on drugs, or is it because they're just naturally better (i.e. skilled or talented)?  

I suppose what Duane is angling at is that a LOT of guys are jumping to their defense, using 'accidental ingestion' and 'they are pro but not as pro as' or whatever, where as some of the same people scream BURN HIM if there is even a hint of foul play in the Pro Peleton.

The attitude seems skewed. I mean, Jared Graves and Richie Rude are rad... They do rad stuff! Richie even wears Tie Dyed shirts! He isn't some crazy looking pro athlete with a weird riding style who would do anything to be the best.......... (jokes, that's exactly what he is)

Exactly.

What I find fascinating is the attitude/responses of people. When Valverde won worlds people had a big saak about it and were severely bent out of shape. Yes he did dope and yes he did serve a ban. But that was years ago. Froome got semi popped for something that isn't even banned that the whole world knows he uses and people reacted as if he'd murdered a baby.

Anyways. I'm done with this thread now. I wish Rude and Graves luck and a lenient sentence. And most of all I with Graves a speedy recovery.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• 6 months later...

Martin Maes has just received a 90 day ban and will be stripped of the wins at Rotorua and Tasmania.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/martin-maes-tests-positive-for-masking-agent-at-ews-rotorua-and-tasmania-receives-90-day-ban.html

This is absolutely ridiculous. How is it possible to be treated for race doctor diagnosed ailments then have to apply for a TUE and then be denied said TUE??!! Rules are rule except when they're stupid

Reading the article it really sounds like an entirely innocent and excusable mistake. Unless there are some other facts we are not privy to of course? Its like the UCI think a rider should rather abandon an event and go to hospital rather than take meds that will allow him to cure an infection. Or not take the meds and possibly die from an infection if he carries on.. 

BTW, Rude;s "excuse" is he ingested the dwelms when he took a suck of Jared's juiced jug at the race. I wonder what Jared's excuse will be. 

this was his post on Pinkbike

sauce: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/richie-rude-announces-return-to-ews.html

Ok,I'll try and clear a few things up, NO BS, just facts, hope it can help.

The supplemnet in question in this case is BPM labs "the one" which if you want to look it up. Now states Higenamine in the ingredients list, but in older versions, and in the tub in this case was listed as Nandina Domestica (fruit extract) and the oxilofrine component is still labelled as Synephrine HCL. Things get tricky when you type these ingredients into the WADA search and not a single result comes up, which tells you everything is OK. So we had to dive a bit deeper into finding out how these things got in our systems, and when we did, we found of that many ingredients have many different variations, and names, which is what has caught us out.

We also found out since learning the hard way, just how prevalent these ingredients are in off the shelf pre workout drinks, which is a bit scary when you first hand find out the consequences, and how unregulated products with these ingredients are. Even a teenager could walk in to a supplement store and buy this, no questions asked. I've also since learned that 1 in 5 off the shelf pre workout drinks (in Australia at least) have something banned in them.

Everything i've mentioned above had to be proven beyond doubt to the AFLD (french anti doping) theres no corruption, or loopholes, or lawyers spin put on it. Just facts and real consequences.

So i'll put my hand up all day long and say im guilty of negligence. MY mindset was that I'v never sought anything performance enhancing, and Ive never had an issues with the Dozens and Dozens of in and out of competition doping tests ive had, so all will be good. I git a bit too relaxed with the whole process, I never thought there was any chance I could ever be in this situation, yet here we are. A moment of Negligence yes, premeditated cheaters, hell NO!!!!

Maybe ask yourself, would you ever think you need to do extensive study and research, on every ingredient of every thing you ever put in your body?

Combine that with what I said above, and hopefully you get a clearer picture of how this very unfortunate situation has come to be.

Possibly the main reason i'm writing this is the amount of uneducated and downright false comments here. Some of you really should be a bit more careful with your wild assumptions and accusations. There are real people on the other side of this. Its obvious that many just want to be hateful and drag people down, and that's pretty sad. When road cycling and in Particular Lance Armstrongs name gets thrown in the ring, WOW, are you serious??? Consider the things iv'e mentioned, and maybe think again.

People all seem to think theres some kind of Magic pill out there, that will take them from weekend warrior to world class level podium guy. Nobody stops to think that maybe the 25+ hours a week spent training, in the gym, on the bike, not going out with your friends, 5am starts, the constant crahses, injuries and sacrifices, has a bit more to do with it. The work that goes in is simply incomprehendable to most, and it's what makes the difference. Everyone who trains and competes at that level understands that, Which I would say is the main reason no other pros have spoken up about this. 

Mistakes were made, and we're both paying the biggest price for that. It's added more stress to my life, on an already extremely stressful time. So maybe take the time to consider both sides of the equation before spreading some uneducated hate, and misinformation.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Man, you've just got to love how a pro commenting on sites like PB turns every keyboard warrior into a fawning fanboy. 

*Graves comments*

*fanboi manly wipes tear from cheek and gulps down the lump in throat - "You go, Jared!" *

on a different note

is that a pic of the actual "laceration"? if so, europeans need to harden the Fark up man...

Most guys I know would have first shoved it in all their friends faces for laughs (because boys right?)... douched it in whatever was handy, clean it and then go their merry way pretending it doesn't hurt.

But that is the problem today with peeps and doctors wanting prescription meds and antibiotics to fix everything.

Your body is more resilient than you think, just be sensible.

But you probably wont get cancer/aids/gangrene from a silly cut on your shin unless you rub it in some squirrel corpses laced with rabies or something.

Go home, clean it....and drink some cement for the pain. :whistling:

Man, you've just got to love how a pro commenting on sites like PB turns every keyboard warrior into a fawning fanboy. 

*Graves comments*

*fanboi manly wipes tear from cheek and gulps down the lump in throat - "You go, Jared!" *

I had the same thought.... 

Suck it. Burn them.

on a different note

is that a pic of the actual "laceration"? if so, europeans need to harden the Fark up man...

Most guys I know would have first shoved it in all their friends faces for laughs (because boys right?)... douched it in whatever was handy, clean it and then go their merry way pretending it doesn't hurt.

But that is the problem today with peeps and doctors wanting prescription meds and antibiotics to fix everything.

But you probably wont get cancer/aids/gangrene from a silly cut on your shin unless you rub it in some squirrel corpses laced with rabies or something.

Yeah, man. Just H(ening)TFU kills of bacterial infections. I don't know why hospitals even treat folks with infections. Just 'em home! 

BOOYAH!

this was his post on Pinkbike

sauce: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/richie-rude-announces-return-to-ews.html

Ok,I'll try and clear a few things up, NO BS, just facts, hope it can help.

The supplemnet in question in this case is BPM labs "the one" which if you want to look it up. Now states Higenamine in the ingredients list, but in older versions, and in the tub in this case was listed as Nandina Domestica (fruit extract) and the oxilofrine component is still labelled as Synephrine HCL. Things get tricky when you type these ingredients into the WADA search and not a single result comes up, which tells you everything is OK. So we had to dive a bit deeper into finding out how these things got in our systems, and when we did, we found of that many ingredients have many different variations, and names, which is what has caught us out.

We also found out since learning the hard way, just how prevalent these ingredients are in off the shelf pre workout drinks, which is a bit scary when you first hand find out the consequences, and how unregulated products with these ingredients are. Even a teenager could walk in to a supplement store and buy this, no questions asked. I've also since learned that 1 in 5 off the shelf pre workout drinks (in Australia at least) have something banned in them.

Everything i've mentioned above had to be proven beyond doubt to the AFLD (french anti doping) theres no corruption, or loopholes, or lawyers spin put on it. Just facts and real consequences.

So i'll put my hand up all day long and say im guilty of negligence. MY mindset was that I'v never sought anything performance enhancing, and Ive never had an issues with the Dozens and Dozens of in and out of competition doping tests ive had, so all will be good. I git a bit too relaxed with the whole process, I never thought there was any chance I could ever be in this situation, yet here we are. A moment of Negligence yes, premeditated cheaters, hell NO!!!!

Maybe ask yourself, would you ever think you need to do extensive study and research, on every ingredient of every thing you ever put in your body?

Combine that with what I said above, and hopefully you get a clearer picture of how this very unfortunate situation has come to be.

Possibly the main reason i'm writing this is the amount of uneducated and downright false comments here. Some of you really should be a bit more careful with your wild assumptions and accusations. There are real people on the other side of this. Its obvious that many just want to be hateful and drag people down, and that's pretty sad. When road cycling and in Particular Lance Armstrongs name gets thrown in the ring, WOW, are you serious??? Consider the things iv'e mentioned, and maybe think again.

People all seem to think theres some kind of Magic pill out there, that will take them from weekend warrior to world class level podium guy. Nobody stops to think that maybe the 25+ hours a week spent training, in the gym, on the bike, not going out with your friends, 5am starts, the constant crahses, injuries and sacrifices, has a bit more to do with it. The work that goes in is simply incomprehendable to most, and it's what makes the difference. Everyone who trains and competes at that level understands that, Which I would say is the main reason no other pros have spoken up about this. 

Mistakes were made, and we're both paying the biggest price for that. It's added more stress to my life, on an already extremely stressful time. So maybe take the time to consider both sides of the equation before spreading some uneducated hate, and misinformation.

Cécile Ravanel having none of it. 

Fukksake! Here's the caption: 

After an uncleared story and some doubtful excuses for @richie_rude1, another painful story just came up in the Enduro world with a statement on @martin_maes5

We’re all extremely sad for him today because I trust his honesty!!

You can read the whole story through his account

Edited by Odinson

this just reinforces my stance on the athletes being responsible for what they put into their bodies being a little over the top. Where is the WADA guidance on this? I walk into Dischem and buy tub of Whey protein. How the heck do I Know whats in it? I've checked the ingredients lists and just as the story above, how would I actually know what in a tub unless i pay to get the stuff phyically analysed? I do feel for these okes because the manufacturers of these supplements don't always meet the necessary FDA requirements for ensuring there's no cross contamination.

We just betaalenkak

on a different note

My first reaction as well ...

MANY of us had to get up, dust ourselves off, and cycle home with worse scrapes .....