The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Morals is where it gets fuzzy. I base mine on something you probably don't agree with. What I see as absolute truth you probably see as a dusty old and outdated book - so I don't think us debating the morality of killing animals for food will achieve anything.

This will have to be one of those agree to disagree things...

Okay. Last post for now. 

Don't think of it as 'morals'. Go back to the original question. What traits (or characteristics) do or don't they have? Don't feel obliged to respond immediately. It gets interesting when you think about it. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

We've been over this before. Do a search, people. It's not on this thread, but it's on the hub. 

You start a thread about veganism, I ask a quest regarding it, you tell me to search a cycling forum for the answer? I thankfully don't follow everything you discuss on the hub so how would I know its been discussed before? Plus my question was straight forward not trying to trick the vegan's out.

What got man to the top of food chain was diet an make no mistake that diet consisted of meat.

Animals are bigger contributors to green house effect than all modes of transport combined so it makes good sense to start curbing meat eating. With the chemicals an hormones used in the meat industry there are many insidious side effects of eating meat.

Now on the topic of killing animals. Yes, it’s one I tussle with. Can’t deny that. Lamb chops on the braai or lamb bunny are some of the few pleasures in life. Artificially grown meat may be the answer here.

One thing I so dislike is that vegans can be so damn militant an infringe on the rights of others.

You can, but let's keep the deflection to a minimum. 

Plants are not sentient and have no capacity to have subjective experiences. I can quote the The Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness again if you want. 

I beg to differ

What got man to the top of food chain was diet an make no mistake that diet consisted of meat.

Animals are bigger contributors to green house effect than all modes of transport combined so it makes good sense to start curbing meat eating. With the chemicals an hormones used in the meat industry there are many insidious side effects of eating meat.

Now on the topic of killing animals. Yes, it’s one I tussle with. Can’t deny that. Lamb chops on the braai or lamb bunny are some of the few pleasures in life .... Can't argue with that. Artificially grown meat may be the answer here. .... Nothing like the real thing (that's what she said).

One thing I so dislike is that vegans can be so damn militant an infringe on the rights of others. .... I haven't experienced that first hand, but from what I've picked up from an article or two, I can believe it.

Okay. Last post for now. 

Don't think of it as 'morals'. Go back to the original question. What traits (or characteristics) do or don't they have? Don't feel obliged to respond immediately. It gets interesting when you think about it. 

IMO it's a societal thing, linked to those animals we (society) consider as food stock vs companion animals. For example, if I was raised in China / Vietnam, I'd probably have no problem with eating dog meat. But I wasn't, and to me, a dog is the ultimate human companion. So I don't eat dog. I would probably eat dog if forced to, through starvation and it being the only available thing if I was stuck in the wilderness and my doglet had just died, but I'm not there and I cannot say yes or no to that. 

If I had a pet pig, for example, I'd still eat pork. Just not THAT pork, until it passes away. I would do the same for sheep / ducks etc. But I don't see ducks as pets, even though they're bloody good watch-animals. Chickens are solely food. Cows, I see as fodder for human consumption. 

Companionship, I think. 

IMO it's a societal thing, linked to those animals we (society) consider as food stock vs companion animals. For example, if I was raised in China / Vietnam, I'd probably have no problem with eating dog meat. But I wasn't, and to me, a dog is the ultimate human companion. So I don't eat dog. I would probably eat dog if forced to, through starvation and it being the only available thing if I was stuck in the wilderness and my doglet had just died, but I'm not there and I cannot say yes or no to that.

If I had a pet pig, for example, I'd still eat pork. Just not THAT pork, until it passes away. I would do the same for sheep / ducks etc. But I don't see ducks as pets, even though they're bloody good watch-animals. Chickens are solely food. Cows, I see as fodder for human consumption.

Companionship, I think.

I compartmentalize

Food...- I eat these

Wildlife - I look at these

Pets - I cuddle these

''other sources of the killer elements, he discovered the amazing fact that these acacia trees were capable of defending themselves from over-browsing by literally killing off the animals that ate their leaves.

To top this off, he found that they also release ethylene from damaged leaves which float downwind, and are absorbed by neighbouring trees. The ethylene acts as a warning signal – a kind of chemical SOS. The neighbouring trees then start to produce more tannin-C before they are browsed''

https://uk.blastingnews.com/world/2015/10/the-incredible-killer-tree-that-broadcasts-an-sos-to-its-neighbours-00610971.html

Trees and plants have feelings.

We not being able to perceive it does not mean it does not exist. 

Edited by Goodbadugly