For the aviation fans

Lotus

Kobe Bryant as well as his 13 year old daughter, and 3 others onboard, have reportedly been killed in a helicopter crash in California RIP

Shame so tragic. There were a few young passengers on board and all with aspiring careers ahead of them. Apparently 9 people in total on board and all dead.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also need to check if medical aid covers "pills for air sickness".

Air sickness not normally a problem when flying yourself. If it is an issue, it normally goes away after a couple hours training

Shame so tragic. There were a few young passengers on board and all with aspiring careers ahead of them. Apparently 9 people in total on board and all dead.

It really tragic! At the time that I received the info, it was presumed to be 5pax but that seems to have been revised to 9...

So the boss said I need to chase my dreams .... despite suffering from motion sickness :wacko:

You fly boys need some "real" flying ... as in 3D, not this one dimensional stuff ... 

From your own experiences, any recommendations on flight schools in CT? Yes, I can search google, but hearing from those that have done it always helps the decision. So any advice ?

EDIT:

Looking for a rotary school ... helicopter type....

Fisantekraal

It really tragic! At the time that I received the info, it was presumed to be 5pax but that seems to have been revised to 9...

Yeah I saw a report saying they think the helicopter was over loaded but needed to look into the details of what was on board and what payload the helicopter could take. If this is the case then who is to blame? The crew would definitely have known if it was overloaded but the passengers may have been non the wiser? Not like it is a taxi that you can see it is overloaded and you know it should only take X amount of pax but still get on and the driver just allows it because its more money. This is aviation, the crew is a lot more responsible than a taxi driver so I hope that is just a journalist speculating.

Yeah I saw a report saying they think the helicopter was over loaded but needed to look into the details of what was on board and what payload the helicopter could take. If this is the case then who is to blame? The crew would definitely have known if it was overloaded but the passengers may have been non the wiser? Not like it is a taxi that you can see it is overloaded and you know it should only take X amount of pax but still get on and the driver just allows it because its more money. This is aviation, the crew is a lot more responsible than a taxi driver so I hope that is just a journalist speculating.

Exactly. Pic, Should take responsibility and decide if its safe too fly or not

Also just saw now on cnn... It was bad weather. At one point chopper circled 6 times before continuing.

And just before the crash it went from 1500ft. Climbed to 1900ft. Then crashed at 1700ft.

Trying to fly threw low clouds and visibility is a recipe for disaster

Edited by Twaatie

Exactly. Pic, Should take responsibility and decide if its safe too fly or not

Also just saw now on cnn... It was bad weather. At one point chopper circled 6 times before continuing.

And just before the crash it went from 1500ft. Climbed to 1900ft. Then crashed at 1700ft.

Trying to fly threw low clouds and visibility is a recipe for disaster

Agreed.

Kobe Bryant as well as his 13 year old daughter, and 3 others onboard, have reportedly been killed in a helicopter crash in California RIP

All over the news here. Basketball is big in Spain.

Agreed.

But it’s amazing how often pilots have this “ I must fly / continue/ try get through” attitude

I always tell pilots if they were meant to fly they would have wings on their back instead of shoulder blades

But it’s amazing how often pilots have this “ I must fly / continue/ try get through” attitude

Whilst it remains the PIC's sole responsibility, of the CFIT cases I know details of, and I suspect in many more, it is not the pilot who has the "must get home" bug, but the alpha male plane owner/charter customer who is not used to being told "no" and insists he MUST get to his destination..

Unfortunately, some pilots don't have the authority to stand up to the main man...

Whilst it remains the PIC's sole responsibility, of the CFIT cases I know details of, and I suspect in many more, it is not the pilot who has the "must get home" bug, but the alpha male plane owner/charter customer who is not used to being told "no" and insists he MUST get to his destination..

Unfortunately, some pilots don't have the authority to stand up to the main man...

Very true

I've seen one pilot ground the aircraft for a "technical" when there was nothing wrong, because he knew "the boss" would fire his ass if he suggested "bad weather" enroute as a reason to leave 24 hrs later.

The boss was still pissed, he tried to pressurise us to fix it quickly but we said we need to AOG (order parts urgently ex USA) the part....he had no choice and he survived albeit 24 hrs late  :clap:

Are those the same mountains that took Hansie?

Same range, The Outeniqua, but this was west of George, I believe a bit east of The Eight Bells Mountain Inn at the beginning of Robinsons Pass.

The Hansie accident was on The George Mountain just east of The Outeniqua Pass in the van Dalens valley.

This is so true Eddy and it can be a real problem. In my early freelance charter days I lost income refusing flights that I condidered dangerous or overloaded. Companies always found somone willing to do it. I had learned some lessons early on that it is best to stand up and say no. I fly for a good bunch now. The Boss and his peeps may at times try to push a bit but that is human nature. They respect our aviation decisions.

I cannot understand these pilots, such crap weather and flying around that area so low. It is very hilly. I have flown into Van Nuys several times, in good weather and bad. Special VFR os valid and at some point the viz was 2 and a half miles (plenty) but at some point Van Nuys says they have an 1100 ft cloud base and the helo is 1400ft. (600agl) He is likely to have been in and out of swirling cloud If visual he should have entered the hover and descended safely. Better a precautionary landing next to the highway than spread yourselves across the scenery.

I don’t fly helos at all, but surely an S76 is capable of hovering at that altitude.

Edited to include altitude.

Edited by Spokey