For the aviation fans

Lotus

High speed tape/ally tape.

It is an approved method for some repairs. It is an aluminium tape with a glue that can hold it's sticking properties in both extreme cold and hot conditions. That stuff is seriously expensive but seriously impressive. Done properly it is so strong that the repair can last plenty flight hours.

Very good stuff this tape. We had a severely cracked left windshield on our Global a few years ago. The engineers taped it up with Hi Speed tape and we flew from Kuwait to Dubai for a windshield replacement. I flew from the right seat. Was very strange having no direct forward visibility out of that left side. Was an interesting landing! You realise how much you need that peripheral vision!! Will try and find a pic.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think the media ( or whoever ) was talking crap calling the Stratolaunch the worlds biggest aircraft.  More like the plane with the longest wingspan in the world.  You might actually pack both fuselages of the Stratolaunch in the Mriya + some crates with spares for good measure.

So its the AN-225 Mriya that is the biggest it terms of cargo hauling capacity (?)  it was built initially to haul the Soviet Space Shuttle clone Buran around

http://www.nieznanaukraina.pl/wp-content/foto/antonov-an-225/Antonov-An-225-%28Buran-II%29.jpg

Not my pic but I saw this bad boy in this config at the Paris Air Show in 1989. Buran flew once and then the whole USSR thing went south.

Edited by kosmonooit

The single AN-225 is still hauling freight, there are a few vlogs on YouTube of missions.

Built in the Ukraine, airlifted total payload of 253820 kg

Edited by kosmonooit

It seems that Stratalaunch is only going to fling the Pegasus into orbit for now, although a Lockheed Tristar seemed to have been doing that job adequately and a B-52 before that. 

250px-Lockheed_TriStar_launches_Pegasus_

Its been a very ambitious project and at least its flown but the space launch market is changing with quite a few start-ups maturing now

Edited by kosmonooit

Not knowing what you are talking about, I ask my old mate Google, who refers me to his chum Wikipedia, who passes on some dodgy list of adhesives.

exhibit A:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adhesive_tapes

I got stuck at Bondage Tape...uuhh...is that a thing?

Reference used by Wikipedia:

https://www.salon.com/2011/10/27/ryanair_duct_tape_controversy/

Clipping from the article:

"Some of the tapes we use cost hundreds, even thousands, of dollars per roll. Speed tape is one of those. Last I heard, it costs about $700 per 4-inch-wide roll. It's approved by the manufacturer, FAA and company engineering department for certain repairs ... always temporary."

I can see how you reckon it would be like shooting a massive hole in your foot...

Just looked on our stock system. Seems we have 2 options(there are others but it mostly looks like alternate part numbers and some are inactive which means it was ordered at some stage on a specific part number but never again). The one is $566 and the other is $768. I can't actually see what's different about them on the system. Would need to actually go look at them. They both 48mm(2 inch) wide, the one says 55M long and the other doesn't say. Might find the one is just a different batch or supplier. The roll I have in my toolbox is 3M but all the rolls in our store currently are scotch. We obviously buy from different suppliers all the time.

What were their arguments against it be?

It's a flying thing so it's only about wingspan just like the man thing that's all about size which is the measure of only one thing.

Looking at that 'silly' looking plane, to me anyway, I wonder if sometimes companies don't just build something just because they can? Almost a bit of showing off ....

Looking at that 'silly' looking plane, to me anyway, I wonder if sometimes companies don't just build something just because they can? Almost a bit of showing off ....

Its Micro$ofts Paul Allen's baby in terms of  the overall design apparently (the dual cockpits) - I agree its a bit daft and doesn't do it for me in terms of style nor functionality.

They could have still had two pylons but grafted a B2 lifting body style cockpit in the middle of the wing

Edited by kosmonooit

Some other dual fuselage aeros

North American F-82 Twin Mustang

North_American_XP-82_Twin_Mustang_44-838

White Night 2

npyZE.jpg

Saab 21

PuI3K.jpg

Lockheed P38

g0SNu.jpg

He 111Z

220px-Me321%2BHe111Z.jpg

http://www.nestofdragons.net/media/22801/he1113v_498x375.jpg

Edited by kosmonooit

Found it. The cracked left windshield. Happened on the descent to Kuwait at around 30 000 feet. The bang when it happens seriously gets ones attention!!!

Anyway, no pic of it taped up, but it was completely covered in Hi Speed tape. No viz out of it whatsoever. Just a ferry flight to maintenance in that condition.post-52292-0-19992400-1555694694_thumb.jpeg

Edited....spelling, due to vin rouge!

Edited by Spokey