What does a 2 year warranty mean?

pmswanepoel

Bought a set of wheels. Won't say which brand. The second time I used them I hit a cat's eye going down past Valverde and the front rim cracked. Well within the warranty period of 2 years. Manufacturer umming and ahing about it. What do you guys and gals think?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an incident, not a manufacturer fault...

Warranty should cover defects and issues in quality and basically, providing assurance that the parts, under normal tested conditions will last for that period.

You hit something. Incidents and events unexpected are for insurance, not warranties.

Edited by Joss Turner

Yikes, and I've going over them as means to keep a line and control... gotta rethink!

It's an incident, not a manufacturer fault...

Warranty should cover defects and issues in quality and basically, providing assurance that the parts, under normal tested conditions will last for that period.

You hit something. Incidents and events unexpected are for insurance, not warranties.

Doesn't the warranties around designs include something like cateye's which are part of the road construction? I would expect that if I bought a new wheelset.

Warranty and guarantee , means nothing these days. Warranty is at the manufacturers discretion.

Best is to insure your goods.

So rather fix and sell and buy something better.

Yikes, and I've going over them as means to keep a line and control... gotta rethink!

Doesn't the warranties around designs include something like cateye's which are part of the road construction? I would expect that if I bought a new wheelset.

Do car warranties work against potholes, or accidents? Cause surely those are almost a certainty while driving..

No

You still have the responsibility to avoid hazards, and something as unsettling and abrupt as cats eyes are on you... Road bikes take finesse, you can't bulldoze like an mtb... Ever wondered why good roadies are so good at pointing out road hazards?

Its just a contractual way for the supplier to get out of liability to you after a limited amount of time instead of being liable for manufacturing defects that may only show themselves many years down the line. A crash replacement plan or insurance policy is a bit different. It should all be written down somewhere.

Its just a contractual way for the supplier to get out of liability to you after a limited amount of time instead of being liable for manufacturing defects that may only show themselves many years down the line. A crash replacement plan or insurance policy is a bit different. It should all be written down somewhere.

Not really. If you dive deep into it, they are actually promising that the part has a limited lifespan, and you buy it knowing this. They make sure that for that lifespan, the parts work as promised, and if not, they will replace to keep their promise. If you use a part beyond the warranty, and have no hassles, it's luck of the draw and the manufacturer is telling you that up front.

Once you realise this, you also start shopping a little differently. We all somehow have this entitlement to everlasting gobstoppers. Stuff has a lifespan.

I would be included to argue quite alot. I would argue what I would expect the wheels to do in 24 months.

A crack on a brick would be my fault but a cateye, DAM that's part of what I would expect a wheelset to handle.

I would categorise the odd cateye as part of normal use.

IMO Quality is subject to what a reasonable consumer would consider the quality of a product to be durable, safe, free from defects and/or fit for purpose.

When wheels and South Africans are combined I always ask the question - are you within the weight limit?

South Africans are big and tend to be towards the upper weight limit of european/eastern made wheels.

crash barriers are part of road construction also try dragging your car down one and go see what toyota has to say

unfortunately OP  warranties cover normal usage not collisions with things you shouldnt drive over

crash replacement warranty is a different story ( and usually carries a percentage cost )

I would be included to argue quite alot. I would argue what I would expect the wheels to do in 24 months.

A crack on a brick would be my fault but a cateye, DAM that's part of what I would expect a wheelset to handle.

I would categorise the odd cateye as part of normal use.

IMO Quality is subject to what a reasonable consumer would consider the quality of a product to be durable, safe, free from defects and/or fit for purpose.

BMXER - you risk going out of business very quickly ...

you need to design a wheel for ...

"odd cateye"  -  how big is that?  Different in different countries

"reasonable consumer"  -  Who is this ?  Refined Swiss professional , or down to earth Indian cattle herder?

"durable"  -  how tough is that ?

"safe"  -  quantify this ?  Bombs are exploding in Iraq, you want your bike to be safe.

"fit for purpose"  -  again quantify this?  52Kg pro rider or 115kg weekend warrior kamikaze

Get my drift?

Then you also get the stiff upper lipped, tight arse professional weekend warrior who claims it was a cateye, instead of a "swallow me whole" South African pothole.

BMXER - you risk going out of business very quickly ...

you need to design a wheel for ...

"odd cateye" - how big is that? Different in different countries

"reasonable consumer" - Who is this ? Refined Swiss professional , or down to earth Indian cattle herder?

"durable" - how tough is that ?

"safe" - quantify this ? Bombs are exploding in Iraq, you want your bike to be safe.

"fit for purpose" - again quantify this? 52Kg pro rider or 115kg weekend warrior kamikaze

Get my drift?

Then you also get the stiff upper lipped, tight arse professional weekend warrior who claims it was a cateye, instead of a "swallow me whole" South African pothole.

My replacement BMC 29er carbon frame arrives tomorrow. Mine cracked after 5.5 years. The warrantee is 3 years.

Just saying....

Feel free to bend over and accept.

I certainty would not accept a cracked rim from a cateye.

Not really. If you dive deep into it, they are actually promising that the part has a limited lifespan, and you buy it knowing this. They make sure that for that lifespan, the parts work as promised, and if not, they will replace to keep their promise. If you use a part beyond the warranty, and have no hassles, it's luck of the draw and the manufacturer is telling you that up front.

Once you realise this, you also start shopping a little differently. We all somehow have this entitlement to everlasting gobstoppers. Stuff has a lifespan.

Yes. The point I was making is that in terms of common law, liability for defective products is far more extensive and lengthy than most warranties ever provide. Hence, a warranty limits the consumers rights rather than improving them.