Everesting World Record Attempt

Pall Catt

I agree. Population is definitely the biggest problem. But for the same surface area, plants can feed more people and it's far less destructive than, say, commercial beef. I would love to see fewer people on earth but I don't plan to significantly reducing the numbers myself. So I'm trying to control/fix the things I can. I eat meat (heck we have the evolutionary tools to do so), but probably only once a week on average and even then it's from (expensive) ethically sourced suppliers. 

By you logic above, there's no point in recycling either because it's not sustainable in the face of a population explosion. It doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. 

The problem here is that the first world are recycling, using less fossil fuels and also have a negative population growth (bar the USA which has a positive population growth due to third world immigration). The third world that is the culprit of exponential population growth is also the primary contributor of environmental destruction and pollution. 90% of the plastic in our oceans comes from third world countries that have zero regard for the environment.

So yes, the bit that you are doing towards sustainability is our duty as custodians of the planet but has absolutely zero effect in reducing global pollution and destruction.

Additionally, I put forward to you that being a vegan (on a global scale) would have a monumentally bigger negative impact on the environment than if we maintain the current meat/plant consumption ratio. The logic behind this is that calorie value in plant matter is so low compared to meat that to maintain the current global levels of an adequate nutrition as vegans, 10 times more agricultural output would be needed to produce enough food. There is simply just not enough arable land (or water) in the entire world to be able to meet such an astronomical calorie requirement sourced purely from low yield plant matter. This is just a thumb-suck/guesstimate, I am too lazy to calculate real figures, but just from looking at global stats it may not be a far out hypothesis, so, I think eating meat, like recycling, is my contribution to saving the planet.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are 8.5 billion people on the planet. a little internetting tells me it can sustain 11ish billion. What happens when we hit 12?

I think it's fair to say that at this point recycling, plant based diets, commuting by bike, solar geysers etc etc etc are merely delaying the inevitable.

But fear not. The planet will be fine. We won't tho. The old girl is going to shake us like a bad cold.

You are quite correct sir. We have entered the sixth mass extinction of species in Earths history caused by human population growth. Humans are also one of those species that will go extinct, unless Elon gets us to Mars. The Earth has been through this 5 times before, it will recover, new species will evolve over time and life will continue.

I cant wait for the zombie apocalypse when we all start eating meat again... mmmmmmmmm yummmmm

Offending transgenders will be nothing once you bigots start offending the transhumans.

Yes this is exactly why I've decided not to do it anymore. Loveday was the best climb in Pretoria for it but by far not the best climb in the world. I would need to go to Full Upper Terry's in Australia to give this record a serious shot.

To break the Everesting record, choosing the right hill is critical (duh). In my opinion this hill is too short in comparison to the current record holder. This is a significant disadvantage as the current record holder was topping 100 kph :eek: on his descents as the descent was 10 times longer. If this chap hits 60 kph before he has to brake to turn around for the next repeat he will be lucky. That is a big speed differential. Multiply this by the number of repeats (197) he has to do compared to the current record holder (53) and you will see he is already at a disadvantage before even starting. Additionally, braking at the bottom of each repeat consumes valuable time, this hill requires 4 times more braking than the record.

If he breaks the record on this hill I will be incredibly impressed, particularly with the knowledge that if he chose a more suitable hill he would go even faster!

That's a good climb but far too much cornering if one is going for a world record attempt.

I think the whole thing about blaming the hill is a bit meh.

He really thinks that the only place to do it is the current record hill, just a bit convenient that it's half a world away. What's excellent about that one is that it's 1.3km long and 13%

so i found this one on strava in pretoria

https://www.strava.com/segments/8044962

he has the current KOM, it's 1.2km @12%

I even put it into the everesting calculator and posted it on his youtube video as a comment.

http://bit.ly/2ImNg53

am waiting for him to reply, but am starting to think

"that's not going to f#$%^#ing happen"

I'm busy designing new kit. I reckon I'm going to put the word "Omnivore" somewhere discreet for sh1ts and giggles.

For the real ****s and giggles try one of those shark eating a fish images....

You are quite correct sir. We have entered the sixth mass extinction of species in Earths history caused by human population growth. Humans are also one of those species that will go extinct, unless Elon gets us to Mars. The Earth has been through this 5 times before, it will recover, new species will evolve over time and life will continue.

So now we going to have to live to 200 yrs old and move to Mars.....

Can’t bladdy wait

Edited by SwissVan

giphy.gif

Close but no cigar

The image I’m thinking of was used as a bumper sticker, plain black n white

You are talking absolute codswallop here. Even Hlaudi has a tighter grip on reality and facts than you.

The problem here is that the first world are recycling, using less fossil fuels and also have a negative population growth (bar the USA which has a positive population growth due to third world immigration). The third world that is the culprit of exponential population growth is also the primary contributor of environmental destruction and pollution.