The switch to flats

Hi everyone. So I slapped on a pair of saints on my StumpJumper and laced up my brand new 2FO’s.

I seem to have lost the ability to pedal! I can feel when I put some weight down they stick, but normal pedaling over rocky stuff almost feels like my feet get bucked off the pedals?

It also feels like my seat is a touch to high now?

Any tips other than keep the heels down?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. So I slapped on a pair of saints on my StumpJumper and laced up my brand new 2FO’s.

I seem to have lost the ability to pedal! I can feel when I put some weight down they stick, but normal pedaling over rocky stuff almost feels like my feet get bucked off the pedals?

It also feels like my seat is a touch to high now?

Any tips other than keep the heels down?

Locate pedal spindle more toward the middle of your foot than the ball.

Clipped in has it's more pedal efficient foot position, while riding flats has another, where the spindle is more behind the ball of your foot than under it.

It might require you drop your saddle height just a tad for seated pedalling to keep your action effective (foot pressure through the pedals over the full rotation of the cranks).

On my road bike, i ride clipped in, not so on my MTBs. I've noted that for climbing on my MTB, i tend to locate my foot as I would when riding my road bike. When my foot tends to come off the pedal when climbing bumpier trails, its then I realize the foot position. A slight adjustment of the foot more forward, and dropping the heel slightly resolves the issue.

And i assume you already know that for the descents, you should drop yer heels.

Edited by Capricorn

Jip. I have a suggestion.

Clipless Pedals

My pleasure

Unless you planning to perform a few knack knacks What he said

Not the orange edible nik naks

Edited by SwissVan

regarding the seat height....The stack height of a spd+shoe is higher than a flat+shoe depending on combo so you will have to adjust your post to fit.

EDIT: also, as already stated... the saint pedals are useless  if you don't remove the washers under the pins.

Edited by morneS555

Haven't read everyone's suggestions - but give it time - lots of it. Flat pedals require much better technique than cleats to get right. You are going to realise all the bad habbits you have picked up with cleats, and that will take time to fix.

I am keen to make the switch myself, but it's hard and is going to take a few learning rides to get right.

Haven't read everyone's suggestions - but give it time - lots of it. Flat pedals require much better technique than cleats to get right. You are going to realise all the bad habbits you have picked up with cleats, and that will take time to fix.

I am keen to make the switch myself, but it's hard and is going to take a few learning rides to get right.

What are the bad habits?

Cleats imo require better skills because you don’t have the luxury of being able to use your feet to brace or adjust for balance

What are the bad habits?

Cleats imo require better skills because you don’t have the luxury of being able to use your feet to brace or adjust for balance

bracing? 

I think it's accepted that the basic fact is: clipped in makes it easier for bike and rider to act in concert, not so when riding flats. 

adjusting for balance is much more of an activity when riding platforms (just look at bunny hopping), not to mention just how much more you use your legs as an extension of suspension to prevent your feet from being blown off the pedals in the rough. This aspect should be a basic skill for all MTBers whether riding clipped in or not, but it's more of a higher order skill for those riding flats because the mere act of having to keep your heels down shifts your center of gravity, which then can impact how the bike behaves which in turn must be adapted for by the riding when the terrain changes. 

Edited by Capricorn

What are the bad habits?

Speaking for myself here...

I cannot stay on flat pedals nicely in rock gardens, my feet just bounce off - points to me using the cleats to stay on rather than positioning my feet correctly and dropping my heels.

Jumps - on flats my feet come off. Points to using the cleats to pull the bike off rather than propper jumping technique.

Since I have become aware of this I have tried to fix it, even when still using cleats, and it makes a massive difference to how I am riding.

I just feel like cleats let you get away woth poor technique without even realising it. Nowhere to hide with flats.

Speaking for myself here...

I cannot stay on flat pedals nicely in rock gardens, my feet just bounce off - points to me using the cleats to stay on rather than positioning my feet correctly and dropping my heels.

Jumps - on flats my feet come off. Points to using the cleats to pull the bike off rather than propper jumping technique.

Since I have become aware of this I have tried to fix it, even when still using cleats, and it makes a massive difference to how I am riding.

I just feel like cleats let you get away woth poor technique without even realising it. Nowhere to hide with flats.

100% correct, Rig.