10 cyclist hit & run incident - Centurion

Fred van Vlaanderen

RIP to the fallen cyclist, condolences to the family. May the injured heal up quickly.

What news on the P O S driver? Are the cops still “requesting” he hand himself over or have they actually arrested him?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP to the fallen cyclist, condolences to the family. May the injured heal up quickly.

What news on the P O S driver? Are the cops still “requesting” he hand himself over or have they actually arrested him?

No one has been arrested yet.

Don't throw the book at him, throw the whole library. Despite national calls and warnings in the media some motorists do not care, his lawyer's are going to have their work cut out for them. 

A drunk driver who narrowly missed a head-on collision with City of Cape Town auxiliary law enforcement officers was not in good spirits when he was arrested after being found with a drink, complete with a couple of ice blocks, in his car’s cupholder, authorities said on Monday.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/pic-drunk-driver-nabbed-after-near-crash-with-officers-with-dop-still-in-cup-holder-20190422

I suggest that if nobody has been arrested by Thursday, that we do a group ride to the relevant police and ask for answers and put pressure on them.

They should have immediately put a police helicopter in the air and feet on the ground to search for the "suspect" after it happened. Failure to do this is a clear sign that they do not take matters like this seriously.

I would suggest that the longer he hides the deeper his grave

Or he has skipped country to somewhere up north.

This is just another sad day and this has been going on too long now. I really feel for the family and his wife and kids. RIP dude, I wil rather reserve my true sentiments on this issue, but suffice it to say I dont go anywhere near tar now days..........just too dangerous. I hope the driver is arrested soon and gets what is comin to him but I somehow doubt that justice will be served. Sorry for your loss to all friends and family man, I feel terrible just reading about this. 

They should have immediately put a police helicopter in the air and feet on the ground to search for the "suspect" after it happened. Failure to do this is a clear sign that they do not take matters like this seriously.

Definition of an oxymoron. :ph34r:

On 2nd Feb this year I was hit by a drunk driver at the top of Suikerbossie. We were coming from Camps Bay side, so if you know the road, it's dead straight at the crest with a very wide verge left of the yellow line. I was sat on the guard railing, waiting for my mates to catch up when this guy came along. Thankfully I was "lucky". I say lucky - well because i'm still around. Spent 11 days in ICU and a total of 18 days in hospital. My right ear was completely detached, left humerus was shattered, left fibula fractured, right radial nerve was damaged in my arm - so i have no control over my right wrist and the list just goes on.

Point is, I've been riding for years, and consider myself to be a cautious, courteous, vigilant, law-abiding and considerate cyclist (and driver for that matter). But in a split-second your life can change and through no fault of your own. Drunk driving is just not considered by most to be a serious offence. People will still 'take that chance'. We need harsher punishment for drunk drivers. This road carnage simply cannot continue........

Lastly, my deepest sympathy goes out to the family and friends of the fallen cyclist and also wishing the injured riders a speedy recovery.  

Drunk driving is just not considered by most to be a serious offence. People will still 'take that chance'. We need harsher punishment for drunk drivers. This road carnage simply cannot continue........

Sorry you had to go through that. And yes.. People don't think twice in SA about driving under the influence. We all know multiple people who will not think twice about getting into their car after multiple drinks. There is no enforcement and therefore people take chances. I still see it daily.. Pics of people standing around a braaism with drinks in hands full well knowing they are going to get in a car later and drive their family home. It's not on... And it's got to change Edited by Stretch

Sorry you had to go through that. And yes.. People don't think twice in SA about driving under the influence. We all know multiple people who will not think twice about getting into their car after multiple drinks. There is no enforcement and therefore people take chances. I still see it daily.. Pics of people standing around a braaism with drinks in hands full well knowing they are going to get in a car later and drive their family home. It's not on... And it's got to change

How many people here have friends around to their house for a braai, watch them drink and then bid them "safe home"?

The Pretoria News could not confirm on Monday night whether the driver had been arrested.

https://www.iol.co.za/pretoria-news/news/wife-in-agony-after-cyclist-husband-killed-in-hit-and-run-21773377

"Because [we know his identity], we request he hand himself over to the police so that a statement can be obtained to establish what happened," said Mahamba.

The Pretoria News could not confirm on Monday night whether the driver had been arrested.

https://www.iol.co.za/pretoria-news/news/wife-in-agony-after-cyclist-husband-killed-in-hit-and-run-21773377

"Because [we know his identity], we request he hand himself over to the police so that a statement can be obtained to establish what happened," said Mahamba.

^^^^^ This I dont understand.

They know WTF this scum sucking coward is, it should not be difficult then to track him down and arrest him.

Its to late to get him on drunk driving, but they can still nail him for culpable homicide and fleeing the scene, and evading the police.