K2C on a Gravel Bike

smerds

I did it on a GT CX bike last year, only the descent off the Ouwapad was 'not cool' as it was very rocky and I only had 32mm Contis on the bike. Never had a puncture or a technical issue so I think with 43mm tyres it would not be an issue at all.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh 32s for 95kays. Guys I spoke to at k2c (sub 6ers) were struggling by 50. Also did Berg 100, that's a better option for a gravel bike I reckon.

The Flat Earthers Barrers really are getting silly. I think they just get grumpy when the guy with the beard rings his bell to pass on the descents...

Ride whatever bike makes you happy, and stop giving people s*&t for their choice.

If an event doesn't want your money, there are plenty that do.

I will never understand this them-and-us mentality, whether it is roady/MTBer, gravel/flatbarrer, whatever. Just. Ride. 

I don't think anyone is having a go at anyone about what bike they ride.

The organisers likely just want you to enjoy their bike route with minimal fuss. 

It's their event, so yes, they can decide to say 'no drop bars or skinny tires' to eliminate a few more potential incidents or people not enjoying the ride.

Much like the Karoobaix bans all types of suspension. DH guys can't wear lycra. Race rules are there whether you agree or not.

I love my Gravel bike. I ride it down some of the trails in Tokai and all over the place. BUT I am also loath to purposely break the rules because 'it's my choice'.

I dunno... Usually when you have to start justifying something or use the word 'technically' you're treading a line you shouldn't be treading

Like the guy who drove in the wrong direction of the one-way in front of my son's school this morning, who technically does not give a crap about the rules.

I find it a bit of an odd decision.

Here's kevbo rocking his stigmata last year. I understand not everyone can ride a bike like him, and 20 joe publics who think they can ride like him can create a few lie downs along the way.

To say no ebikes and no gravel bikes seems to be a bit of a pushback against two growing segments of the sport. Would be interesting to see if there have been actual issues with accidents as the medics seem to be the ones credited with making the call.

42611769_2131713517093571_18273661848073

but ja, your race your rules. We still get to comment on them.

am just waiting for some monstercross bikes to confuse their classifications!

When an event is over subscribed you can apply whatever rules you want. 

As soon as events that welcome gravel bikes start taking entries away from K2C I am sure you will see the organisers change their stance.

I don't think anyone is having a go at anyone about what bike they ride.

The organisers likely just want you to enjoy their bike route with minimal fuss. 

It's their event, so yes, they can decide to say 'no drop bars or skinny tires' to eliminate a few more potential incidents or people not enjoying the ride.

Much like the Karoobaix bans all types of suspension. DH guys can't wear lycra. Race rules are there whether you agree or not.

I love my Gravel bike. I ride it down some of the trails in Tokai and all over the place. BUT I am also loath to purposely break the rules because 'it's my choice'.

I dunno... Usually when you have to start justifying something or use the word 'technically' you're treading a line you shouldn't be treading

I wasn't advocating breaking any rules, I don't think. Just don't make rules up for the hell of it. I don't believe there is a sensible reason for banning gravel bikes, but that is just me. Chances are if you can't get down the technical stuff on your gravel grinder, you will probably bin your hardtail, too. Maybe hardtails should be banned, by the same logic?

When an event is over subscribed you can apply whatever rules you want. 

As soon as events that welcome gravel bikes start taking entries away from K2C I am sure you will see the organisers change their stance.

The Swartberg 100 welcome gravel bikes and promote the use of them.

However, not sure how this impacted on the number of accidents requiring medical attention during the event.

Cant Admin write a script that changes "E-bike" to "Gravel Bike" and that other karoo to coast on an E-bike thread can be re-used.

The Swartberg 100 welcome gravel bikes and promote the use of them.

However, not sure how this impacted on the number of accidents requiring medical attention during the event.

Have not heard of any..

A more important rule they should pay attention to is banning the chops in K2C with the loud speakers in his/her backpack or on handlebars that you can hear from 2km away. I really have no interest in your motivation mix tape when I'm suffering up Simola tunnelvisioning at 190 bpm

Sorry...waaayyy off topic

Cant Admin write a script that changes "E-bike" to "Gravel Bike" and that other karoo to coast on an E-bike thread can be re-used.

Why? 2 completely different issues imo. I don't want to compete with motorized vehicles at cycling events but I have no issue with gravel bikes.

I think it's pretty clear they want to make the route safe and less admin for everyone, including themselves.

While it may be cool to do it on the Nishiki Ultron, if you're running tubes and rim brakes, you might not enjoy the ride as much as you would doing it on a regular bike like they suggest.

But, there will always be those who buck the prescribed regulations whose favourite words are 'but technically.....'

If you want to be more hardcore than everyone else, ride a rigid SS or a dirt jumper... but just make sure it's tubeless and has disc brakes for YOUR sake. Advances in basic technology really have given us avenues to enjoy these things way more than we used to.

So why would the route be more technical than in the past. All the risky areas have been graded smoothed out. You can now even do the Wapad on a road bike with 25C (I would go with 28C) tyres if you relay wanted to.

Why? 2 completely different issues imo. I don't want to compete with motorized vehicles at cycling events but I have no issue with gravel bikes.

Next you will say you are happy with 29ers...