[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

THIS. 

I felt a HUUUGE difference mid-race on the Conters enduro when I started taking on a carbo drink instead of just water and protein. Used the same strategy at Hoogies enduro and I felt stronger than I had in ages, even so far as to have Savage comment on it :lol:

Carb drink, energy bars (used to use PVM back in the day but I find em too chewy and mouth-drying) and jelly babies, together with some billies. That's gonna be my strategy. Wondering whether to take my pack for the day. It can take 3l instead of the 1.5 I have on the bike and bum bag... BUT, it's heavy and I'm not as used to it anymore. Plus, a bare back is far nicer. 

Decisions. 

We were in Jonkers Sat and Sun, and although it was moer hot - I think a 1.5l bum bag will be enough because the streams are still very full - so lots of places to fill up with cold mountain water. I wouldn't take one bottle only though - that may just not be enough, and on a day like that I want some sort of bag just to have somewhere to put all the "food" I stuff myself with on a day like that.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were in Jonkers Sat and Sun, and although it was moer hot - I think a 1.5l bum bag will be enough because the streams are still very full - so lots of places to fill up with cold mountain water. I wouldn't take one bottle only though - that may just not be enough, and on a day like that I want some sort of bag just to have somewhere to put all the "food" I stuff myself with on a day like that.

Maybe I should get some 1l bottles from the crazy store... they fit perfectly into the cage, and may fit perfectly into my bumbag. If I can increase fluids to 2l, that would be perfect. And yeah, agreed on the stash-bag. 

Maybe I should get some 1l bottles from the crazy store... they fit perfectly into the cage, and may fit perfectly into my bumbag. If I can increase fluids to 2l, that would be perfect. And yeah, agreed on the stash-bag. 

Would fetching a bottle from the car between Plummer and Armageddon be considered outside assistance? Otherwise, just fill up at the water-station, just don't be last ;)

The is no way I'm carrying water for 5 hours on me for all that time. 

Would fetching a bottle from the car between Plummer and Armageddon be considered outside assistance? Otherwise, just fill up at the water-station, just don't be last ;)

There are also lots of rivers with delicious mountain water.

But, ya, the car park isn't far away either

EDIT: Ah, I see that the streams had already been suggested  ;)

Edited by Nick

You could always stash a water cache somewhere and fill up with that if you don't want to drink mountain water? Just remove it afterwards.

I'm going for the mountain water and water point route. Rehidrat sachets are light...

You could always stash a water cache somewhere and fill up with that if you don't want to drink mountain water? Just remove it afterwards.

I'm going for the mountain water and water point route. Rehidrat sachets are light...

For sure, those are gold. Lets keep an eye on water levels in the week leading up to the race. 

Edited by Bos

I've been doing this making my car a waterpoint, up saaltjie down to car, top up and fuel up, up to waterfall down to car, top up fuel up, up to quarry down to car, fuel up then mince!

We still need to confirm with the organisers, but provisionally we have planned to do a Cadence Nutrition water point again at the event. There will be Carbofuel, water, energy bars, gels and bananas available. 

If you're needing something more, the water from the streams is great!

I'm pretty miserable at the moment. Was planning on doing my last recon ride this weekend before heading to Knysna for the Sept holidays. I need to ride the lower part of plumber and Iron Monkey. But behold, I have a cold!

Happy trails guys, don't crash.

We still need to confirm with the organisers, but provisionally we have planned to do a Cadence Nutrition water point again at the event. There will be Carbofuel, water, energy bars, gels and bananas available. 

If you're needing something more, the water from the streams is great!

That would be rad. Loved the stuff at the top of Hoogies, if that was also you guys. 

:thumbdown:

Heading there tomorrow. Kaaaking myself. I was planning on doing a ride on Wednesday but had to take the cat to the vet so I did 2 spinning classes yesterday. Not exactly good training for shredding the gnar.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Heading there tomorrow. Kaaaking myself. I was planning on doing a ride on Wednesday but had to take the cat to the vet so I did 2 spinning classes yesterday. Not exactly good training for shredding the gnar.

I wouldn't worry... I am currently getting 2-3 hours sleep a night, not much in the way of exercise and am very out of touch with my GNAR skillz... They wouldn't even be able to pay Hungry Lion Billz at the moment.

Been given the green light to hit Jonkers on Sunday though provided Gran steps in for dad and does some babying.

I'm relying on Muscle memory and sheer boneheadedness

"You lucky, lucky bastard"...(MP - LOB)

I arrive in town the week before, after months of ZERO MTB time except for daily commute concrete pavement-bashing with average incline of 0-1.45%......

....but I will be full of "spiwit".....y'know "bravado, a touch of derring-do"...! :clap:

Edited by capediver

I arrive in town the week before, after months of ZERO MTB time except for daily commute concrete pavement-bashing with average incline of 0-1.45%......

....but I will be full of "spiwit".....y'know "bravado, a touch of derring-do"...! :clap:

90km a day tho in 45 degree heat.

Don't forget these.

a427d9666cd83ddafac8f5ecd5352a1e.gif

I wouldn't worry... I am currently getting 2-3 hours sleep a night, not much in the way of exercise and am very out of touch with my GNAR skillz... They wouldn't even be able to pay Hungry Lion Billz at the moment.

Been given the green light to hit Jonkers on Sunday though provided Gran steps in for dad and does some babying.

I'm relying on Muscle memory and sheer boneheadedness

I operate daily on as much if not less sleep, but due to diff reasons. I really suffer on the trails. Down a monster or equivalent and some energy vitamins. Will for a bit.