Bike Hub classifieds vibe

nox1111

@nick and @admin - maybe requirements should be 10 posts or something like that before you can start replying on classifieds (dm/email or see phone number) or posting to classifieds?

This often crops up in conversations on Classifieds and while it may work well for forum-first users, there are many upstanding, regular Classifieds users with zero forum posts. 

It also risks incentivising "spammy" posts in the forums simply to meet that requirement.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the context of this thread, here is my most recent buying experience in Hubland.

My nephew recently turned 21 and pooled all his birthday money to get his first 'real' mtb.

He asked if I would assist him with finding something on Gumtree.... I introduced him to the wonderful world of Bikehub. Stay away from Gumtree says I, the guys over at Bikehub are cool, and we'll, find you the right bike at the right price, with the right name on the downtube......

Que a 2 week bombardment of screen grabs and questions at all hours. He was so excited.

We eventually settled on the right bike, fair price and local enough to check out.

About an hours drive away.

He set up a viewing time with the seller and off he went, I was unable to go with him so he was armed with a basic 'walk away' checklist.

His report back: The seller wasn't at the meeting place at the agreed time, and when he did get hold of him he was told that the bike had been sold....

Now, I wasn't there in person, but I can't think of a good reason why he would make that up.

maybe consider rating the seller and putting this reasoning there. That's the point ain't it? 

Use the buyer ratings... that's all folks. Will make everyone's lives much easier.

Bargains are sadly mostly snapped up and resold these days by re-sellers. It is what it is...

I always state my preferred form of communication on my ads, also makes everyone's lives easier.

I recently sold a high end bike which absolutely was the epitome of 'one careful lady owner with buggerall mileage on the clock' - lots of other people have totally ruined that sales pitch unfortunately  :blush: 

Facebook marketplace is no better than gumtree... this is the only place I will sell my goods

@nick and @admin - maybe requirements should be 10 posts or something like that before you can start replying on classifieds (dm/email or see phone number) or posting to classifieds?

To elaborate on what Admin said:

It's a request we get often.

The truth is that the number of people using the classifieds far outweighs those using the forums. So forcing people who don't want to use the forums to use the forums will have a negative impact on both the forums and the classifieds.

Just image everyone rushing in here to get their 10 posts in the bag with no intention of sticking around or adding any value. Likewise, it'd be a terrible user experience for those just wanting to trade in the classifieds to first have to make X number of posts while the pool of buyers and sellers would dramatically decrease.

so after all of this on this thread I took a look at my ratings and it seems all comments lead to the fact I am in the wrong line of work and should go into packaging :P

no one has rated you for 4 years!

either you stopped trading, or the 100% positive feedback means people don't add to it.

This often crops up in conversations on Classifieds and while it may work well for forum-first users, there are many upstanding, regular Classifieds users with zero forum posts. 

It also risks incentivising "spammy" posts in the forums simply to meet that requirement.

There are hubbers with in excess of 10,000 posts I would not deal based on the tripe they talk on here.

A question to the OP, @nox1111, and others who've expressed similar sentiments: 

Do you see the lack of comments on a given advert is a key issue or more the way some potential buyers choose to engage in communication in general (i.e. one liners, no formalities or introductions, outlandish low ball offers)?

I think comments are crucial to making this a trustworthy marketplace.

Some people will say that by commenting on a seller's post you start tainting the prospective sale. BUT if what you are commenting is correct, then it only adds to the authenticity of the sale.

examples of this are: correcting the date of the bike (ie. that's a 2014 model) or pointing out that almost new (ie. that chainring looks well used) are fine if it is glaringly obvious.

like most things it comes down to the adage, "don't be a p$%^, be lekker"

I saw an article in a backissue of a Go! magazine on mountainbiking - it specifically mentioned bikhub as a goodplace for second hand bikes as the "forum users will identify any charlatans trying to pull a quick scam on newbies"

Nick please add the ability to re-arrange photos in the ad?

As it is now you have to first upload the pic you want to see as the thumbnail then go add the rest of the pics in one go and hope the order is not too bad and then have to delete everything and start again photo by photo because the order makes no rhyme or reason.

It seems to me a there's a trend of people advertising but with no photos.  Stuff that I'd be interested and at a reasonable price, but I wont even contact them.

The new classified should insist on photos (although there's still no guarantee)

Some people will say that by commenting on a seller's post you start tainting the prospective sale. BUT if what you are commenting is correct, then it only adds to the authenticity of the sale.

examples of this are: correcting the date of the bike (ie. that's a 2014 model) or pointing out that almost new (ie. that chainring looks well used) are fine if it is glaringly obvious.

I saw an article in a backissue of a Go! magazine on mountainbiking - it specifically mentioned bikhub as a goodplace for second hand bikes as the "forum users will identify any charlatans trying to pull a quick scam on newbies"

Ironic, now if they search go! magazine and bikehub at once, they'll get your post with the profanity.

I align with the idea that bikehub is the best place for buying and selling 2nd hand goods - there's no competition so the people running bikehub are the pioneers for any future expansions in this regard.

Have not done much trading, but have also not received feedback again......and thankfully there is also no thread in my name where I need to answer uncomfortable questions.

There was a well known hubber who I sold a shock to recently ..... he calls me up and tells me that the shock is giving issues etc ... heart sinks, then he laughs saying it is a joke ... should have gone to give him a negative rating after that as I am sure I lost a few years of my life with the shock (No pun intended)

no one has rated you for 4 years!

either you stopped trading, or the 100% positive feedback means people don't add to it.

Have not done much trading, but have also not received feedback again......and thankfully there is also no thread in my name where I need to answer uncomfortable questions.

There was a well known hubber who I sold a shock to recently ..... he calls me up and tells me that the shock is giving issues etc ... heart sinks, then he laughs saying it is a joke ... should have gone to give him a negative rating after that as I am sure I lost a few years of my life with the shock (No pun intended)

I have bought and sold a good many bikes and frames over the years and not once received a rating...quite disappointing actually

Agreed and I hate getting these low ball offers with no introduction.

Maybe we should introduce a minimum 20 word count on the PM function.

At least then:

"R850 Cash?

I am very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very interested."

Name and Shame him!!!

Ironic, now if they search go! magazine and bikehub at once, they'll get your post with the profanity.

I align with the idea that bikehub is the best place for buying and selling 2nd hand goods - there's no competition so the people running bikehub are the pioneers for any future expansions in this regard.

I agree ....

I’ve bought many parts from the classifieds over the years, .... whether it’s for fixing my own bike/s or building up bikes for friends etc.

I try to offer what I perceive I would have sold it for (or the budget of the person I’m assisting)

If you selling an article that might fail easier, where you bought it with a guarantee eg. “a carbon frame”. I can’t take the frame back to you and ask for a replacement frame, so you can’t expect the guy to offer what you paid. Thus a 2nd-hand carbon frame is going to sell like an old tube TV, use it while it works and then throw it away when your tubes crack.

I blame the inflated prices of bikes squarely on the lease agreements available. I doubt that without it, bike prices would be what they are today. It’s skewed the market completely. Dissimilar to the vehicle market, it’s not easy buying a 2nd-hand bike on lease - and certainly not from a private seller.

Add onto that “boost” technology on MTB’s - no one wants to pay for non-boost parts anymore, and “disc brake” road bikes - similarly, on one wants to pay top price for a rim brake frame or parts.

I’ve digressed a bit :)

I have undoubtedly offended a few people when making offers, but it was never to low-ball. I always say “hi” and “thank you” too.

If I don’t get what I want it is my own fault for not offering what the seller wanted :)

I think the classifieds is perfect as it is .... over regulating the classifieds will hamper healthy competition :)

.... and no amount of regulation is going to make people buy stuffs they perceive as too pricey. .....

Saw a guy once selling a bike with the fork on backwards, brake caliper facing forwards! Commented that it's the wrong way round, hope he read his comments.

Do sellers get notified if a comment is posted on their ad?

Saw a guy once selling a bike with the fork on backwards, brake caliper facing forwards! Commented that it's the wrong way round, hope he read his comments.

Do sellers get notified if a comment is posted on their ad?

That was prob a Manitou fork and you were wrong