You need a day pass to cycle through Paarl?

Wettas

Just saw this online. 

Only if you want to link up with Spice route and Rhebokskloof? Not the public roads?

Only if you want to link up with Spice route and Rhebokskloof? Not the public road?  

From the photo, the route is called "Town Route" with pink status and elevation. 

And states that if you would like to use this route (the main road) you must have a day permit. 

And states that if you would like to use this route (the main road) you must have a day permit. 

well it's not like cyclists pay road tax. About time they got charged to ride on the tar

You seem quite determined to buy a permit to access public roads...

Maybe take a step back and think this through? 

looks like a bit of a case of poor communication/wording on the website and miss understanding from the readers side.

Looking at the map that's the main road running through Paarl can't see why you would need a permit or how they would enforce it.

That tarred road is a proclaimed public (divisional) road owned by the Western Cape Government. No one can charge the general public any fees for using a public road, unless it is promulgated and gazetted like in the case of Chapman's Peak Drive.

I think its just poor communication, as it would appear to be in respect of the usage of the trails that a permit is required.

well it's not like cyclists pay road tax. About time they got charged to ride on the tar

Yeah...let the **ck**s pay :devil:

Why not ask them?

Nah, the town, Jan Philips bergpad and the Paarl Mountain Reserve routes you obviously don't need a permit. You just need a permit if you link up one of the above routes with Rhebokskloof or Spice Route or the loop around the mountain that crosses countless private properties.

That NB note is copy/paste under all the different routes on the website I see. I'll let Darren know that it might cause a bit of confusion.

Nah, the town, Jan Philips bergpad and the Paarl Mountain Reserve routes you obviously don't need a permit. You just need a permit if you link up one of the above routes with Rhebokskloof or Spice Route or the loop around the mountain that crosses countless private properties.

That NB note is copy/paste under all the different routes on the website I see. I'll let Darren know that it might cause a bit of confusion.

not as if out-of-towners know these roads ...

I have been in Paarl with my bike, and gave up trying to figure out which "gravel roads" I may or may not ride ... and asking locals (security at the Taal monument) where I can buy a permit was of no use ....

So though riding the tar roads may be obvious ... clarity on the other roads would be most handy.  BOTH in terms of which require permits and where these permits can be bought.

not as if out-of-towners know these roads ...

I have been in Paarl with my bike, and gave up trying to figure out which "gravel roads" I may or may not ride ... and asking locals (security at the Taal monument) where I can buy a permit was of no use ....

So though riding the tar roads may be obvious ... clarity on the other roads would be most handy.  BOTH in terms of which require permits and where these permits can be bought.

You only pay at Rhebokskloof, and you don't ride Spice route - unless you want to ride *** rat mazes. The rest is free/public roads.