Ironman 2020 African Championships Port Elizabeth

Craai

This is assuming that November will still go ahead.....

Make no plans I say. We haven't experienced the Virus and it's consequences in proper 3rd world, poverty stricken environments.

I'm hoping it does follow trends as my business is currently doors closed and zero income predicted in April/May, but I'm not making any big plans past my next meal

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. 

You are trolling, right?

Why are olympians considered a higher being than an average joe doing an IM?

ok sure, still not sure I understand the question, because to state the complete obvious:

people at the olympics qualified to be there and are generally the top ~1% of athletes on the planet, 

people at ironman qualified by paying the entry fee of R3500 (or whatever it costs these days).

I was pretty miffed on Friday but then realised that should something have happened to any of us travelling then my selfishness would have cost them. I would have liked to do IM at the end of March so I could get my life back but now I will rest up and I have more time to train. 

I'd rather being inconvenienced this way then have to sit at a family members bedside cause they've contracted the virus. 

Really gutted for all the 2020 athletes that it has been postponed.

My dream was to do the 2020 event, but realised that it would not be due to a running injury in December, and decided to do the 2021 event. 

The November date suits me great, but I see the entries are sold out. Anyone know if you will still eb able to enter as surely not everyone that was going to do the 2020 event is set for November?

Let's be positive and say this state of emergency takes 4 to 5 months.... and the third world perspective is a total unknown ... so who knows what SA will look like in a few months time ....

IF the Ironman proceeds in November there WILL be "March participants" that cant attend.  Sure a few spots will be up for sale much closer to the time.

Whoop de doo.

So no I don't really have that much concern for people who throw their toys out the cot because this thing they've spent six months of their life obsessing over got postponed. .....

Thus far you are the only one throwing toys ....

BIG difference between somebody being "gutted" when getting this news, and a whole different thing to "throwing toys".  In fact, 48 hours later my friend is understandably disapointed, but already looking to the next event - in full appreciation for "the bigger picture".

PS - it IS actually possible to sympathize with somebody for the "loss of the event", while fully appreciating and agreeing that it was the right thing to do in the bigger picture ....

and this statement rings equally true to ALL people affected by this, sportspeople across the full spectrum, to the organisers and the very many supporting industries.

PPS - your complete lack of understanding for the type of person that puts in extreme hours, with at best the possibility of improving their personal best time, says a lot more of you, than it ever will of the type of person that puts in these hours.  Maybe one day you will come around to understanding what dedication means.

I was pretty miffed on Friday but then realised that should something have happened to any of us travelling then my selfishness would have cost them. I would have liked to do IM at the end of March so I could get my life back but now I will rest up and I have more time to train. 

I'd rather being inconvenienced this way then have to sit at a family members bedside cause they've contracted the virus. 

I think its ok to feel selfish/upset about the event being cancelled without guilt-tripping yourself about a possible covid fallout.

I know how much work goes into IM training, its one of the biggest commitments out there, and its a real shame not to be able to put it all down on paper. Yes theres many more races to come, but it just sucks right now, and thats very justifiable

It's like that 15 year old crush you were totally 'in love with' giving you the bat.... Sure there are plenty more fish in the sea, but you really wanted THAT fish.

Arguing about how someone should feel isn't worth it. Some people are more flexible by nature and others are more emotional. Being stoic doesn't make you feel any less empty when opportunity has been removed way above your control.

ok sure, still not sure I understand the question, because to state the complete obvious:

people at the olympics qualified to be there and are generally the top ~1% of athletes on the planet, 

people at ironman qualified by paying the entry fee of R3500 (or whatever it costs these days).

You are stating the obvious, but still have not answered the question. 

I will give you a hint, its really got nothing to do with the entrance fee but all to do with the human psyche and whether one is an olympian or an average joe i suspect the effort, the goal and the sacrifices are not too dissimilar. 

Moot discussion really, but from my perspective, preparing for ironman is a herculean mission and i dont get paid to either. The average joe works a regular week, juggles a family , etc etc etc. No freebies, no accommodation etc. 

No gym for me for the foreseeable future, read the tweets about if Virgin should stay open or close etc but whatevs I'm not chancing that, I'll stay away.  

I think I'll just work on my running and do rides on the weekend and maybe open water swims if I get a chance but this has happened. 

I'm that guy that always says, it could have been worse. This could have been Hiroshima, we could all be posting images of us carrying dead bodies etc 

Stay safe peeps, we'll get through this. 

You are stating the obvious, but still have not answered the question. 

I will give you a hint, its really got nothing to do with the entrance fee but all to do with the human psyche and whether one is an olympian or an average joe i suspect the effort, the goal and the sacrifices are not too dissimilar. 

Moot discussion really, but from my perspective, preparing for ironman is a herculean mission and i dont get paid to either. The average joe works a regular week, juggles a family , etc etc etc. No freebies, no accommodation etc. 

okee dokee, obviously this is going nowhere and you've now been touched on your mdot. You seem to be missing the point that the ironman prep is only as hard as you want it to be. I could probably go and finish one tomorrow, it would be tough but the cutoff time allows you to walk a marathon 7 hours?). similarliy, I could wint the lotto tomorrow and train fulltime towards Paris 2024 olympics in whatever sport and I definitely wouldn't make it. 

If ironman is the olympics for you, then that's cool with me. in the real terms there is no comparison.

okee dokee, obviously this is going nowhere and you've now been touched on your mdot. You seem to be missing the point that the ironman prep is only as hard as you want it to be. I could probably go and finish one tomorrow, it would be tough but the cutoff time allows you to walk a marathon 7 hours?). similarliy, I could wint the lotto tomorrow and train fulltime towards Paris 2024 olympics in whatever sport and I definitely wouldn't make it.

If ironman is the olympics for you, then that's cool with me. in the real terms there is no comparison.

Good luck with the lotto my potential best friend. In real terms you have a chance of winning non?

Real terms indeed. Good luck.

Matt Trautman in lieu of IM being cancelled posted on instagram - to join him in a 180km bike leg on Zwift. 8am 29th, at Watopia (I have no idea on that last name...)

Cool idea though.

Haha, Ironmen/women make me laugh. Only they will compare themselves to olympians.

I suppose they are the only sports people other than olympians that tattoo the race logo onto themselves.

Oh, and I have done the ironman, and really it is just another race.

While training for my last ironman i was diagnosed with a heart condition (dilated cardiomyopathy) at the age of 42, so can now do nothing more strenuous than ride an e-bike ..... and that is a permanent situation, so really if you going to fall apart just because you have to wait a few months, or maybe a year if november does not suite you, then maybe you have bigger problems.

Haha, Ironmen/women make me laugh. Only they will compare themselves to olympians.

I suppose they are the only sports people other than olympians that tattoo the race logo onto themselves.

While training for my last ironman i was diagnosed with a heart condition (dilated cardiomyopathy) at the age of 42, so can now do nothing more strenuous than ride an e-bike ..... and that is a permanent situation, so really if you going to fall apart just because you have to wait a few months, or maybe a year if november does not suite you, then maybe you have bigger problems.

Haha, first post. 

Is that you shebeen? And this is just another forum where people can vent their disappointment, frustration and opinion... and some of my athletes feel very unmotivated at the moment, but are slowly looking forward to the challenge ahead for just another race!

Not sure why you feel the need to further your comment. Does your medical condition give you a superior point of in justification. Perhaps you should read the ebike thread, many ebike riders argue that they get as just a hard workout as riding a normal bike, so you may want to be careful if their argument is true!

Edited by shaper