Breath, tiring muscle and heart rate

When racing/training endurance sport such as running or cycling, we observe 3 limiting elements: faster breath, tiring leg muscles, faster heart rate.

These vary in intensity relative to one another. Example: I find that during an easy session on the IDT my HR would still be relatively low while legs are already tiring, with breath rate quite active. However, on an equally easy run HR would be somewhat high while legs are still feeling fine and breathing rate quite low.

What do we derive from this?

When racing/training endurance sport such as running or cycling, we observe 3 limiting elements: faster breath, tiring leg muscles, faster heart rate.

These vary in intensity relative to one another. Example: I find that during an easy session on the IDT my HR would still be relatively low while legs are already tiring, with breath rate quite active. However, on an equally easy run HR would be somewhat high while legs are still feeling fine and breathing rate quite low.

Sitting and spinning vs high impact moving your body through space. Two very different things. 

I think you can conclude from this that endurance sports like running and cycling make your legs tired, elevates your heart rate and makes you out of breath.

This is something that seems to happen to most, if not all athletes.

Henley I was hoping for some experts to provide some insight with respect to your pondering .....

When I started out, 100% unfit and grossly over weight, I would be all three (out of breath, hart racing and legs stuffed) from cycling around the block .... understandably so.

Next I went through a phase where I was out of breath first .... granted my hart rate stayed high for the first few months.

As my fitness recovered the following happened:

- my hart rate is typically LOW, 20 to 30bpm lower than a riding buddy.

- Hard effort, either steep incline or pushing very hard, would result in strained breathing.  Though I now recover reasonably fast, and can put in a few more efforts.

- Legs ... this seems to be the slowest to recover .... I now find that my upper legs konk out long before my hart rate or my breath ....  This is also the slowest to recover on longer rides.  

Would be interesting to better understand the interaction ....  How to monitor the parameters and how to push your self in an event .... also how to practice to develop each ....

I am anything but a competative athlete .... but I have considered a few sessions with a pro coach to figure out how best to plan my recovery .....

These vary in intensity relative to one another.

A. Example: I find that during an easy session on the IDT my HR would still be relatively low while legs are already tiring, with breath rate quite active.

B. However, on an equally easy run HR would be somewhat high while legs are still feeling fine and breathing rate quite low.

A. Cycling leg muscles fatigued, cardio system not fatigued.

B. Cardio system fatigued, running leg muscles not fatigued.

In both cases, rest the fatigued system and if you must train.... select an activity that exercises the not fatigued systems without adding stress to the fatigued systems, like stretching

My pleasure Mr Lochner

????‍♂️????‍♂️ ????‍♂️

It sounds like your cycling cadence is too low.

Lower cadence forces your legs to work "harder" than your cardiovascular system and vice versa. Hence them getting tired before you are really out of breath.

Try upping the cadence (at the same power) and see if you get a better balance?

Thanx guys, you gave us some food for thought. Related: when I do my typical 2 times 1 hour laps on the IDT, I find that during the first 5 minutes of the second lap my legs are at the same level of “unpreparedness” as on the first lap – despite only about 5 minutes rest in between. It feels as if anaerobic, though the power output is at the same low level too! One would think that the first lap would give you enough time to warm up so as to expect a stronger start of second lap. This gets me to conclude that when you do a warmup on the rollers for a time trial, you should keep spinning right up to about 1 minute before your start. This is of course not always possible since the marshals want you to be in the que 10 minute before.

My response to those negative postings above: we empathise with you if you do not quite understand this stuff. Intelligence is normally distributed after all, with a long tail on the trailing end. Also, it is quite ok if you rev your motorbike at the robot so people can take note of your presence on the planet. We were there too before we grew up. So, your postings did not hurt me as intended, because I took it from where it came.  Love you too!

Henley at the Napier ride I tried something different .....

I did a couple of laps of the rugby field while the previous group lined up for their start.  LOW speed, just to get the muscles going on a VERY cold morning ....  Then that 10 minute line up before our race started.  30m after the start my hart rate already exceeded 130bpm !  Within 150m we were climbing ... and my hart rate was over 150 bpm .....  

I did note the 130bpm just after the start, but I dont follow the computer closely while riding.  Only saw the very high rates when looking at my data afterwards.  Think going that hard out the blocks may be part of why I cramped mid way through the race ....

Certainly still very much a learning curve for me. 

I might have to be more alert of my effort ,,, rather than staying with others .... at least keep the matches for later in the race ....

Edited by ChrisF

Come and ride in our mountains - you can add "really sore stomach muscles after tough climb" to the list.

I thought my core was fairly ok, and I guess it is, but some climbs just wrench your guts :-(

Luckily they are climbs I can avoid if I want to :-)