947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have to worry? Got this from a security group on FB?

Early warning

The community of Lion Park informal settlement will embark on a protest march on the *2019-11-16 Saturday to Sunday the following day in the early hours*.

Their demands is for Eskom to bring back the electric transformers that were taken during disconnecting illegal connection of electricity in that area.

Threat... N14 is been targeted for shutdown and there will be a bicycle program that will be taking over at Incubation hub in RiverSide on the same date and they aiming to disrupt it.

Anybody else have confirmation of this?

Anybody else have confirmation of this?

Received the same message via WhatsApp.

Suppose that we'll only only if it's true on Saturday / Sunday.

I called the race office, waiting for feedback.

OK, they know all about it Police will be on site and riders will be re-routed if  there is drama.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

Reroute out of Steyn City and left onto Cedar onto Witkoppen and left to Douglasdale? My sub-3 hr 847 ????, could be on!

I called the race office, waiting for feedback.

OK, they know all about it Police will be on site and riders will be re-routed if there is drama.

Reroute out of Steyn City and left onto Cedar onto Witkoppen and left to Douglasdale? My sub-3 hr 847 , could be on!

Haha, deep down we all want the true challenge of the climbs...

Reroute out of Steyn City and left onto Cedar onto Witkoppen and left to Douglasdale? My sub-3 hr 847 , could be on!

As far as i am aware that is the only way to avoid the Lion Park area.

They sent out an e-mail with a LINK, complete the form and Bobs your uncle.

They sent so many mails initially that I sort of stopped reading them so I missed this one. 

More likely turn right on the lion park road towards lansaria and then on the lansaria road to Malabongwe Dr, thereby avoiding the settlement.  Will add distance so your sub 3 might not be on!

Anything is possible buy Malibongwe runs adjacent to the settlement too!

Gravel road detour through Chartwell for the Strada Bianche vibe! ????

More likely turn right on the lion park road towards lansaria and then on the lansaria road to Malabongwe Dr, thereby avoiding the settlement. Will add distance so your sub 3 might not be on!

Guess I am as ready as I will ever be for my first ever 947, first road race ever too :eek: 

I was never chasing times but wanting to have fun but I have still trained a bit so I can enjoy the day to some extent.

Have done quite a few 85km plus rides and 2 x  100km  plus rides interspersed with studio training. Unfortunately never   quite found the level of elevation needed but managed to incorporate what hills I could. Definitely much stronger than I was before but still not very fast as I tend to get sidetracked and look at the scenery etc and legs slow down...

People I have been training with who have done lots of 947 say I should be quite ok. 

So got slicks on the MTB, charity top has been delivered  and tonnes of sunblock.

Excited, scared and nervous but mostly looking forward to it. 

Anything is possible buy Malibongwe runs adjacent to the settlement too!

Gravel road detour through Chartwell for the Strada Bianche vibe!

#gravelbike #groader

Perhaps I should bring my gravel bike instead... 

Guess I am as ready as I will ever be for my first ever 947, first road race ever too :eek:

I was never chasing times but wanting to have fun but I have still trained a bit so I can enjoy the day to some extent.

Have done quite a few 85km plus rides and 2 x  100km  plus rides interspersed with studio training. Unfortunately never   quite found the level of elevation needed but managed to incorporate what hills I could. Definitely much stronger than I was before but still not very fast as I tend to get sidetracked and look at the scenery etc and legs slow down...

People I have been training with who have done lots of 947 say I should be quite ok. 

So got slicks on the MTB, charity top has been delivered  and tonnes of sunblock.

Excited, scared and nervous but mostly looking forward to it. 

Enjoy it man. Its an absolute blast, even if you don't do the time you wanted to. I can't wait, riding it with a slower buddy, but I'm so fat and unfit at this stage it might be a 4h Z5 effort anyway.