How apartheid killed Johannesburg's cycling culture

Simon Kolin

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"As a city with multiple centres, cyclists are more or less never seen on traditional transport corridors to the CBD such as Louis Botha Avenue."

"...then the city’s future might be seen in the growing streams of walkers, joggers, cyclists and traders who make their way across the bridge every day with ease, high above the gridlock. There is hope."

Might there be a touch of selective observation here?

Yes its very skewed inmho, the author has an agenda, a blinkered view of life and history.

ie "straddles a motorway built in the 1960s and 70s for the then mainly white motoring population"

"The writer counted, in the space of only four minutes, 93 native cyclists riding past the Astra theatre,” wrote a journalist for the Star newspaper in July 1940. Standing almost 80 years later on the same corner of Louis Botha Avenue at the same time and day of the week – 6.30pm on a Monday – it is hard to imagine. The theatre is long gone and not a single cyclist is to be seen on the car-choked thoroughfare.

What happened to Johannesburg’s once vibrant commuter cycling culture? The dominance of the automobile marginalised the bicycle in many cities around the world through the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s but that process was accelerated in South Africa by apartheid. When policies of spatial segregation forcibly moved black people to faraway townships at the periphery of the city, the distance between work and home increased dramatically and cycling collapsed as an everyday practice.

Twenty-five years after apartheid’s fall, those spatial and economic inequalities remain entrenched in the city and continue to shape how people get around.

The story of Johannesburg starts in 1886 with the discovery of gold. As prospectors from around the world flooded in to seek their fortunes, what had once been farmland was transformed in the space of a few years into a thriving city.

It may be said of the Johannesburg child that he learns to cycle before he can walk

1903 newspaper columnist

Full article link here - https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/26/how-apartheid-killed-johannesburgs-cycling-culture-?CMP=share_btn_link

There's a big difference between a "cycling culture" and a "bicycle commuting culture". I don't believe there was a "cycling culture" at that time, not in Jhb. I see the article explicitly states "commuter cycling culture", but your title refers to it misleadingly.

Also, what is the definition of native cyclists? Correct me with references if I'm wrong, but I believe the only technically correct natives of South Africa are the Khoisan and I haven't ever seen one on a bike. If "native cyclists" imply black cultures, then surely that is archaic and also misleading, as after 7-11 generations, you're largely more a local native than wherever your ancestors may have been born. Is this just a 1-2 generation gap in understanding? 

How did apartheid accelerate "the decline of a commuter cycling culture"?

According to an Arrive Alive article, the taxi industry emerged only in 1987 with Apartheid government economic deregulation. So what did these people that stay so apparently far do to reach their destinations? Surely cycling would've been their best bet and thus, improve the "commuter cycling culture"?

I only skimmed the main article, but honestly, it sounds half baked. The headline feels misleadingly used. Towards the end of the article it states that cycling ceased around 1994 AT THE END of Apartheid, so surely the removal of Apartheid is what would've caused it, not Apartheid itself? I find the content and claims very contradictory, but then again I'm skeptic of half the "doctorates" in this country!

As part of my extensive architectural studies, I had to do a lot of social analysis to ascertain whether my design proposals are relevant to the social context. The writer of this article, like so many other writers/journalists/whatever, is quick to quote how these proposals work overseas, but doesn't provide a thought pattern on reassessing it and applying it suitably to local context. Honestly, there is better smut to read than this, with better factual references and less "alternative facts".

Not a good article in my opinion and not quality reading material.

Obviously lots of differing opinions will come out here, but to each their own. Next time share something unbiased please.

edit: fixed 2 grammirs

Edited by Dirkitech

Are you sure?  

Yes, I was there.

Please do name one other society where racial segregation was enforced to the extent it was in South Africa in the 1960's and 1970's.

Should we get into some details?

Apartheid died in 1994. Let it go already, FFS...

Have I offended anyone? No?

Don't worry, I will get to you soon enough!

True the legislation died then and lets move on, but damage was done (cue Neil Young)

I have also been blaming my ancestors for leaving europe, and it has made zero difference.

And your more distant ancestors for leaving Africa in the first place?

Also, what is the definition of native cyclists? Correct me with references if I'm wrong, but I believe the only technically correct natives of South Africa are the Khoisan and I haven't ever seen one on a bike. If "native cyclists" imply black cultures, then surely that is archaic and also misleading, as after 7-11 generations, you're largely more a local native than wherever your ancestors may have been born. Is this just a 1-2 generation gap in understanding?

That language has to be referenced to the context of the times - 'native' referred broadly to black people ie The Native Land Act of 1913 and did not make a distinction between Bantu and Bushmen

https://www.sahistory.org.za/dated-event/native-land-act-passed

Yes, I was there.

Please do name one other society where racial segregation was enforced to the extent it was in South Africa in the 1960's and 1970's.

Should we get into some details?

Oh I see you now refined it to "racial" - previously it was a very broad term that could have pointed to class, religious or financial, cultural segregation -  does it make a difference which type of segregation it is?  Is it worst if it is racial but not as bad as religious or cultural where walls are / were built?

And your more distant ancestors for leaving Africa in the first place?

Who would be blamed then?

Good thing they did, gives a handy reason to blame.

This thread now had me thinking back to the 80's & 90's when most of us used to cycle to school, well at least where I grew up in Somerset-West.    The schools had large dedicated area's under roof with many many bicycle racks where the bikes were parked.

Now, 30 - 40 years later my own kids are in school, but there are no place for bicycles, or very few.  Most of the kids are taken to school in cars by their parents, probably because nou loving parent will allow their kids to cycle to school?   I wonder if we can blame anyone?