Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

How much more training will be needed to go from a 3:06 to 2:59

Would like to achieve a sub 3 next year, if all goes well, not forgetting I started in 1J this year

Probably the last group that could do a sub 3 on a normal day. Your seeding will play a big part in achieving your goal.

Note that a 3:06 this year is probably a 3:15 on a normal weather year and a 3:25 if the wind is blowing. Bear that in mind.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also miss the Soap Girls, Hout Bay...anyone remember them?

I remember those 2 chicks, but I never saw them on race day. We stopped at Hout Bay(mariners wharf) for lunch a few years back and they were busy singing. 

I've done the same basic analysis as last year:

post-72677-0-52549000-1583994006_thumb.jpg

I've not had time to properly go into this, so there might be some issues. One of them is that tandem times are counted twice for 1 bike, but shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Most interesting thing for me is the gap between the median and mean times in 2020 - probably as a result of the conditions being so much worse for the later finishers.

attachicon.gifctct2020.JPG

I've not had time to properly go into this, so there might be some issues. One of them is that tandem times are counted twice for 1 bike, but shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Most interesting thing for me is the gap between the median and mean times in 2020 - probably as a result of the conditions being so much worse for the later finishers.

That last line is concerning, but not surprising if you consider the current economic climate.

You not thanking him then?

Bike setup will solve it. At gear change he will make you sit on a pressure sensitive cloth on the saddle which will give a heat map of where your weight is resting. He will then fit you to a saddle and setup that will put tour weight in the right place. It will solve your problem.

Or you can go do some more chappies reps and you won't procreate. Jury's out on whether taking the hill climb advice suggests that making the condition permanent might not be a bad idea.

I took your advice and drove out to the Noordhoek Village today, parked up, and hit Chappies.

Borrowed a mate's Stravonometer which, if I punched the right buttons, told me the ascent averages 4-5%.

Perfect.

So I did it 10 times - well 20 really, 10 up and 10 back down to the village.

A total of 95.3 kms distance and 1289 climbing metres.

Clever things these Stravoos.

Took me 6 hours 39 minutes including a couple of banana and coffee breaks.

Thing is, it didn't really cure the problem; my nuts are now as numb as a bum on an icepack...

Eish  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

attachicon.gifctct2020.JPG

What is the median time? Thanks for the stats, very interesting.

Most common time would be the Mode.

Median is the time of the middle finisher (so finisher number 11208 at the moment).

I tried guessing the Mode of the dataset, figured it might be something around the time where most of the finishers ended up, but nope - 2.31.57, position 33-51. Does not look like they used pro-timing where the whole finishing peleton gets the same time (3s gaps start a new timer as far as I know) as there are lots of 1 second time gaps in the first page.

I tried guessing the Mode of the dataset, figured it might be something around the time where most of the finishers ended up, but nope - 2.31.57, position 33-51. Does not look like they used pro-timing where the whole finishing peleton gets the same time (3s gaps start a new timer as far as I know) as there are lots of 1 second time gaps in the first page.

Interesting, and I can see why they did that.

The timing mat could not have been under the finish banner as I made triple sure that I was as level as I could be with the person I was riding with so we'd have the same time and sequential finishing positions. But I obviously rolled faster than her to the mats as we are separated by 3 seconds and 6 other riders despite her being marginally ahead of me on the line.

Imagine holding off someone finishing fast in the pro-race, beating him on the line but his momentum getting him to the mat first...

At the start, are our times started at the gun or after we cross the first mat? (Sure it's been answered before but I've missed it)