Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

For the ESI grips, I use 2 thickish cable ties and surgical spirits with a syringe and needle. The spirits evaporate with no residue

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of IPA on the bar and inside the grip then it just slides on ( assuming your bar is clean already ) 

Then 5mins in the sun and that thing sits like stink on sh#te 

To get them off a stanley blade works lekker , but if it really needs to be reused compressor is hard to beat. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2022 at 8:12 AM, madmarc said:

Taken off and re-installed these many times - its like a 2 hr gym session. Now I use a home compressor with one of the those trigger air nozzles. If you dont have a compressor then take the bike and grips down to the local garage and use their tyre pump. It now takes 2 min 

I use windowlene (or whatever is underneath the kitchen sink that sprays) and a plastic lever. Push the lever in, spray the inside, rotate the lever around the bar. Comes off easily.

On 5/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, JCA12 said:

For the ESI grips, I use 2 thickish cable ties and surgical spirits with a syringe and needle. The spirits evaporate with no residue

This should also work - cable ties just bend too easily.

(Probably) Never using wet lube on my bike again. Admittedly I put on too much, but it's a no go on dry, dusty, sandy trails like where I ride. Poor crunchy drivetrain :( A real mess to clean up as well.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, MrJacques said:

(Probably) Never using wet lube on my bike again. Admittedly I put on too much, but it's a no go on dry, dusty, sandy trails like where I ride. Poor crunchy drivetrain :( A real mess to clean up as well.

Apply it properly and try again. Been doing some testing on all 3 of my bikes and if you make sure to clean off the excess on the side plates, you'll be pretty happy with the results.

1 hour ago, droo said:

Apply it properly and try again. Been doing some testing on all 3 of my bikes and if you make sure to clean off the excess on the side plates, you'll be pretty happy with the results.

You mean it shouldn't be dripping? :P

You actually get oiler devices for motorcycles that drip oil onto the chain while you ride.

6 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

You actually get oiler devices for motorcycles that drip oil onto the chain while you ride.

It doesn't take much for the sand to stick to the sideplates and start making crunchy noises against the next cog, especially on the larger end of the cassette.

Motorbike chains don't have adjacent sprockets to rub against, so the effect is much reduced.

10 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

Are not most of the modern motorbike chains coming with o-rings to protect them from getting the grit between the rollers and the plates?

On 3/12/2022 at 7:56 PM, Hairy said:

That is cool.

Also enjoying the two tone walls with the use of a picture rail.

The pink gym room is also perfect juxtapositioning

45 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The pink gym room is also perfect juxtapositioning

Haha. That is just bad light.