Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I did an oil change on the car and drained the gearbox instead of the sump.

I laughed way too hard at this one 🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Eish.

The other common one is forgetting to put the sump plug back in and then trying to fill with oil.

I did this 1 time, now I check the sump at least 3 times before putting oil in 🧐

58 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I laughed way too hard at this one 🤣🤣

At first I couldn't figure out why it only took 500ml oil to get the engine oil at the correct level on the dipstick.

Then there was copious swearing at trying to locate and open the filler plug for the gearbox. 

Then about a week later I was ready to laugh about it.

Edited by TNT1

3 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

At first I could figure out why it only took 500ml oil to get the engine oil at the correct level on the dipstick.

Then there was copious swearing at trying to locate and open the filler plug for the gearbox. 

Then about a week later I was ready to laugh about it.

I can only imagine, I just recently changed the gearbox and diff oil in my van, what a *** job, and I have double cab, so there is at least some room to work, that job on car without a lift, no thank you....

1 minute ago, Chadvdw67 said:

I can only imagine, I just recently changed the gearbox and diff oil in my van, what a *** job, and I have double cab, so there is at least some room to work, that job on car without a lift, no thank you....

Yeah, fortunately it was the Duster, so there's some space under it.

1 hour ago, DJR said:

My kit now includes reading, um, I mean bike fixing glasses

Where did you find such a pair of .... uhm "bike fixing" glasses ?

asking for a friend ...

37 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I recently installed fork on my MTB, I used he bearing that came off the bike and it had a plastic cage, well needless to say I dropped it, 2mm balls went flying all over my garage, wasn't fun at 8pm crawling around to get all the balls together again.

helping a friend fix their bike .... couple of those very small balls of the freehub made a successful escape ....  managed to get a few from CWC on a Sunday afternoon 10 minutes before closing time ....

when these "help a friend" jobs take on a life of its own ....

28 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Eish.

The other common one is forgetting to put the sump plug back in and then trying to fill with oil.

Worst one I saw was a neighbour servicing a car .... doing the oil change, put the new oil filter on, drain plug in .... started the car .... everything working perfectly .... THEN just one mist of engine oil !!!

Old filter seal did not come off, and it took a bit of time and some pressure to push out the extra seal ....

That was one big MESS ....

40 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Eish.

Yep my dad did that. He was Dutch and could curse in fluent dutch when under pressure. I always remember the oil slick on the driveway that had to be avoided on the bicycle for months afterwards and i learned not to mention the subject for a bit. But the abiding memory of him with his feet covered in oil and him realizing what had happened and then lapsing into good high dutch with many got verdingers and other choice language.

Oooo oooo, I just remembered, my 2nd car when I was 18, spent Saturday morning washing and polishing it and gave the motor a good cleaning as well, it was SHINING, then I decided to give it a service, spilled a little oil while filling it up, as one does, anyway, later that evening I was driving around, little bit of smoke coming from the bonnet, "must just be the spilled oil" I thought, it got worse, then even worse, so pulled over, forgot to tighten the filler cap 😭😭😭 oil EVERYWHERE spent Sunday cleaning everything again.....

19 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Oooo oooo, I just remembered, my 2nd car when I was 18, spent Saturday morning washing and polishing it and gave the motor a good cleaning as well, it was SHINING, then I decided to give it a service, spilled a little oil while filling it up, as one does, anyway, later that evening I was driving around, little bit of smoke coming from the bonnet, "must just be the spilled oil" I thought, it got worse, then even worse, so pulled over, forgot to tighten the filler cap 😭😭😭 oil EVERYWHERE spent Sunday cleaning everything again.....

And guys with older cars (think mk1 golfs etc) who pressure wash their engine bays and cant understand why they developed a misfire or car wont start at all haha. (Water inside the distribution cap) 🤣

20 hours ago, TIB said:

https://www.thinoptics.com/readers/best-sellers/readers-universal-pod

I never ride without it.......  especially after replacing brakepads on feel during the Tankwa Trek!

It is frustrating that us short shorted individuals cannot just buy an off the shelf pair of glasses.
Off the optometrist to spend thousands on a riding pair of glasses, not to mention the lense replacements when your prescription changes....