Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

On 5/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, dasilvarsa said:

How strava Can Help to Maintain Your Bike (Pity it does Not Report Hours)

Components

Type Brand Model Added Removed Distance Action
Frame Merida 120 Since Beginning   2,471.4km Retire | Delete
Front Tire maxis Ardent Race Feb 23, 2021   1,945.3km Retire | Delete
Rear Tire Maxxis Maxxis Ardent Race Feb 23, 2021   1,945.3km Retire | Delete
Chainrings Rapide 30Tooth Mar 14, 2021   1,393.5km Retire | Delete
Chain Kmc X10 Kmc X19 Since Beginning   2,471.4km Retire | Delete
Fork 1877 km Lowers Service Apr 15, 2021   593.8km Retire | Delete

https://www.statshunters.com/statistics

Solves the showing hours issue 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Hairy said:

You can also try dropping a dot of tippex on the 11spd or 10spd chain for a quick visual reference ... next thing you have been riding in the rain and that card gets wet leaving you with Egyptian hieroglyphics to decipher on the side of the trail. 

I used larger font should you not have your reading glasses on you.

I may well go the tipex route .... was thinking it may rub off ....

May go for centre punching "." for the 10 speed link and ".." for the 11 speed. 

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

If you punch, just punch one of them ... less confusion

12 hours ago, Hairy said:

If you punch, just punch one of them ... less confusion

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Stupid question, why not just take the one applicable (or 2 of them) to you chain/drivetrain?  Or are you a good Samarthan that want to help someone else you might come across?

Edited by TheoG

2 minutes ago, splat said:

I would forget which one I punched ????‍♂️

So much more reason to only take the one or the other applicable to your bike .... :).

29 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Stupid question, why not just take the one applicable (or 2 of them) to you chain/drivetrain?  Or are you a good Samarthan that want to help someone else you might come across?

Started of having dual sets of spares when Maritz had smaller bikes.  He now carries his own spare tube, for the rest we have the same gear.  So I could simplify my setup ....

Last weekend I rode with a buddy and he snapped his chain doing a power shift half way up Bloemen-climb .... turns out he has a 10 speed bike, and thankfully I still had Maritz's old 10 speed link in my bag.

But ja, I am that guy that stops and helps others along the trail.  On many a fun ride event I have lost sight of the bunch fixing somebody's bike ....

13 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Started of having dual sets of spares when Maritz had smaller bikes.  He now carries his own spare tube, for the rest we have the same gear.  So I could simplify my setup ....

Last weekend I rode with a buddy and he snapped his chain doing a power shift half way up Bloemen-climb .... turns out he has a 10 speed bike, and thankfully I still had Maritz's old 10 speed link in my bag.

But ja, I am that guy that stops and helps others along the trail.  On many a fun ride event I have lost sight of the bunch fixing somebody's bike ....

IF that was my friend I would have him walk to the top of the climb and then offer the link :P ... next time he will bring a spare link with.

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

IF that was my friend I would have him walk to the top of the climb and then offer the link :P ... next time he will bring a spare link with.

EXACTLY what I did :whistling: :thumbup:

Walked all the way to the restaurant clearing.  Simply no space to work on a bike without blocking the trail ....

14 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Uhm jaaaa ....

Good and well having a duffel bag full of spares and tools strapped to the seat ....

But HOW are you going to read which is the 10 speed and which is the 11 speed link next to the trail ..... dont laugh .... eventually your arms will get to short to read the fine print ....

Fr-2.jpg.1561913017b52cc381f691edffd752de.jpg

Nou maar n LARGE PRINT nota gemaak ....

Screenshot_20211004-185325_Gallery.jpg.01cd856a49f8890eb5d20f3dd829cd29.jpg

I'm confused here.

side by side the 11spd will the smaller one?

also why even have 2? my spare chain link is insulation taped to my gear cable, impossible to get confused then.

On my 1000cc motorbike, moment laps in concentration and I put one brake pad in the wrong way (metal on metal).

Disc stuffed, a little over 8500zar later for a pair of front disks and a new set of pads.  Realised too late with engin noise and helmet on.

Best excuse ever to fit brambo, dark side of a train wreck.  Now I check twice.

• 5 months later...

A recent thread on here about slipping gears pointed out that some chain quicklinks are directional.

I'm on my second SRAM PC1110 chain, but this one seemed noisier than the first, I put it down to the cassette or chainrings having a fair bit of mileage on them.

Yesterday  I was prepping the bike for the World Champs in Cape Town next week, whilst it was up on the workstand I thought I should check the quicklink. Well would you believe it has a little arrow on it and it was facing the wrong direction.

Only did a short slow ride with the kids yesterday after I worked on it, seemed to be quieter, but will do a ride later in the week to make sure.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:06 PM, ChrisF said:

Uhm jaaaa ....

Good and well having a duffel bag full of spares and tools strapped to the seat ....

But HOW are you going to read which is the 10 speed and which is the 11 speed link next to the trail ..... dont laugh .... eventually your arms will get to short to read the fine print ....

Fr-2.jpg.1561913017b52cc381f691edffd752de.jpg

Nou maar n LARGE PRINT nota gemaak ....

Screenshot_20211004-185325_Gallery.jpg.01cd856a49f8890eb5d20f3dd829cd29.jpg

My kit now includes reading, um, I mean bike fixing glasses

On 10/4/2021 at 7:56 PM, Hairy said:

You can also try dropping a dot of tippex on the 11spd or 10spd chain for a quick visual reference ... next thing you have been riding in the rain and that card gets wet leaving you with Egyptian hieroglyphics to decipher on the side of the trail. 

I used larger font should you not have your reading glasses on you.

Ha ha, yes, the Tippex dot sure works until your memory starts to go............or so I hear!🤪