Second hand super-bikes

reflexus

I have gone from a Second hand RC2000 for R2500 to a Carbon Silverback Monterey(R 6000) had it for 6 years Then I got a Trek Domane 5.9 Di2 edition(R12000) - I consider it my SUPERBIKE.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you want to ride a 100k MTB when doing Le Tour?  Last time I checked it was still a road race.

Did you not watch stage 19?!

argument invalid :whistling: :

not a 17 year old diesel pajero, and I bet it cost more than my bike plus it wasn't upgraded by the owner piece by piece like my bike.  I wouldn't mind it though, add some bike racks and go places really fast  :)

Sounds like a good decision to me.  Spend money on investment and not toys.

Only certain cars appreciate in value. They are far and few between. A Porsche Cayenne Turbo is not one of them. The house, however! 

If you owned a R30 bar house in Camps Bay. Why would you drive a Porsche Cayenne

Super SUVs are all the rage now. You cannot afford (LOL) to NOT be seen in an expensive SUV. Although not the snobbiest of snobby SUVs (IMHO that belongs to the butt ugly Bentayga), one of the best sounding ones. 

Once again, a status thing. No cougar worth her diamond ring will be caught dead in a sedan! 

It's funny because last weekend I was at Buffelsdrift and I past a guy on the trails dressed in cycling kit but no bike. Instead he had a bunch of rolled up papers between this legs. I stopped and asked him what he was doing.

"I'm taking my investments for a ride" he said...

I happily rode off on my "superbike"

Have investments yes and be smart with your money yes but part of being smart with your money is enjoying it and knowing how much of it you can enjoy on cycling is smart in my books.

And those flapping their gums about expensive bikes not offering any performance gains have obviously never ridden a top end bike. The difference is night and day and if I can afford to ride something that makes the sport more enjoyable for me why should I be judged?

A lot of high horses it seems

I think there's nothing wrong with a second hand superbike. If you can, why not. 

Okes will hate on you, but so be it. I think most will actually compliment you. I certainly would! 

We have some hard working friends.  Their properties in SA that I know of is 45 Bar (2 houses).  They talk about more property they have in the UK and Greece.

AND, apart from the movie theatre and the wine-cellar and, and, and, they live fairly modest lives.  He drives an 8 year old C class, she a 5 years old 320d, and their toy is an 8 year old Z4.

Solid marriage...

Modest....

Modest is renting a combined income space for 13k while buying food at fruit and veg city, recycling all your water, owning 1 car between you and maybe, maybe going to woolworths once a month to buy some delicious over priced yoghurt.

Make no mistake, all of us on here riding 20k and up bikes live better lives than 'modest'.

My wife and I have made some sacrifices along the way but are in a good place. We own our house unbonded, own our cars unfinanced and have no debt. We put a large amount of our income away each month for retirement and for our sons education/bail.

What we have left we live on and if I earn a bit extra it goes into the 'bike/surf/AR' fund'.

I don't own 'expensive' toys, but I'm sure if I added up my surfboards, wetsuits, paddle boats and equipment, backpacks, running kit, 6 bikes plus welder, surfboard shaping equipment, power tools etc I have a MASSIVE excess.

One man's poor is another man's treasure.

I would be too scared to own a crazy expensive bike. 1 fall or 1 bad line and a cracked rim sets you back 20k.

I have serviceable kit that I can manage financially and replace accordingly.

Realistically, if I earned 10 million a year more I don't think my lifestyle would change. 

I grew up under 2 pretty relevant codes regarding kit and expense;

1. Rather work hard and be really good/skillful with what you have before wanting the best equipment. Often the 'passion' fades after a time and you wasted money in the throws of your bid to win XC WC sub vets (but that's impossible because Donovan le Cok).

2. Buy cheap buy twice...

modesty you guys say....

if you earn around R10k a month in SA you fall in the top 5% for the country ito earnings.

If you earn around R50K a month...you are part of the 1% for SA.

if you earn around R200k a year....you earn in the top 1% of the world.... 

put that in your Ricoffy and drink it.

modesty you guys say....

if you earn around R10k a month in SA you fall in the top 5% for the country ito earnings.

put that in your Ricoffy and drink it.

modesty you guys say....

put that in your Ricoffy  (you mean Jacobs) and drink it.  :whistling:

modesty you guys say....

lol I ironically typed Ricoffy (considered the crappiest of the crap///although still liked by many) for a reason :D

From what I know is that the more expensive bikes on the hub don't sell easily. It's usually the 15-25k bikes that sell. People who can afford the more expensive bikes would usually just buy them new rather than second hand bikes because why not buy something new when you have the money.

You don't need an expensive bike. Ovcourse you can't ride a skadonk. But if you have an ftp of 200 then a bike that's worth 60k+ is certainly not going to give you any advantages.

One would be surprised at the advantages... sometimes we like to think there isnt any but who are we fooling ?

modesty you guys say....

modesty you guys say....

put that in your Ricoffy  (you mean Jacobs) flat white and drink it.   :whistling:

I can only speak for myself here if I was in the market for a 60k road bike.

Would I buy a 2nd hand superbike? Absolutely not.

I'd try to source the best new bike I could find with DI2. I don't even know if you can get a new bike with DI2. Sadly I'm not in that market so my 2015 TCR which I bought 2nd hand will have to do. I love my TCR. We've been to so many amazing place together.

modesty you guys say....

put that in your Ricoffy  (you mean Jacobs) flat white and drink it.   :whistling:

flat white made from Kopi Luwak beans

But you're different  :D. I have met you in person and you're a nice guy that does not let the price tag of the bike inflate your ego  :thumbup:

I drive a 10 year old paid for Toyota Yaris, live in a modest 2 bed simplex and ride a +. 120K MTB.

Why?

Believe me it's not to look cool or for a status thing like some have said and it's definitely not because I'm anything close to an elite rider. Are all M3 drivers elite touring car racers?

I do it because I love bikes.

I started on a Makro special and have worked my way up from there to the bike I ride now. I ride it for me and nobody else.

And no it's not financed.

Oh and not to sound arrogant, but no I'm not going to apologise for working hard and being able to afford nice bikes with the reward it brings.

Archived