The Munga 2019

Ramrod

Maybe it's just me being old and sentimental (and VERY far removed from doing the same anywhere near any podium) but I like what the winners did. I think it is wonderful that after racing each other for days and suffering horribly a strong enough brotherhood can develop to make two strangers decide to finish it together. Sometimes I think that bond with another human is more important that the winners trophy. Old and slow and sentimental, I know........ :)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get why people are upset... I really doubt they're racing for your entertainment, but much rather for their own pride and sense of achievement. If they're happy to put themselves through those gruelling miles and agree to finish together, then good for them.

I'm sure they won't lose sleep over your disgust with their result.

You ever ridden 1076km on less than 2h sleep? You might not like it as a spectator but I can understand why they came to the arrangement.

And to an earlier point; arrangements finishing have been made in professional road racing as well. Just ask Vino

The question needs to be asked when that "arrangement" was made? Looks like it could've been at the Tankwa Padstal already.

There's plenty opportunity left to win from there. Hell, even with 1km to go to the top of Bainskloof someone could've made the race winning move/attack. There is not a snowballs chance in hell, if both of them tried their utmost to win it right until the very end, that they would've crossed the finish line together.

Even Mr Munga, Alex Harris himself was involved in a 3-way sprint for 3rd place during the TDR. After almost 4400km's they didn't decide to roll over the line together for a 3 man joint 3rd place!

The question needs to be asked when that "arrangement" was made? Looks like it could've been at the Tankwa Padstal already.

There's plenty opportunity left to win from there. Hell, even with 1km to go to the top of Bainskloof someone could've made the race winning move/attack. There is not a snowballs chance in hell, if both of them tried their utmost to win it right until the very end, that they would've crossed the finish line together.

Even Mr Munga, Alex Harris himself was involved in a 3-way sprint for 3rd place during the TDR. After almost 4400km's they didn't decide to roll over the line together for a 3 man joint 3rd place!

Think Thinus said they agreed to the tie 15km from Ceres

To those who call BS

Go and do the Munga

Bs argument.

If we followed your argument I hope you don't have an opinion on world cup rugby, Eskom management, the royal family and all other things you don't have direct personal experience in

Bs argument.

If we followed your argument I hope you don't have an opinion on world cup rugby, Eskom management, the royal family and all other things you don't have direct personal experience in

You're right.

If you look at Nicky Booyens pace you know it's brutal out there ,she is always a top 5 rider.She has quite a way to go to Sutherland.

Anri is going well she will be dropping down into the Tankwa soon.

Ironman has a rule that a "contrived tie" will result in both athletes being disqualified. Should be the same here. I'm all for sportsmanship but I think this goes against the true nature of fair racing.

Didn't know that. This is the best option to prevent this again. Whatever side of the fence you sit on it's a pity the "toughest race on earth" doesn't have a winner*.

I have a feeling Sithembiso Masango is currently close to tears.. shame I feel for the guy. Second time off course near Ceres, turning around now will mean he have to go back up Bo-Swaarmoed pass. Hope he doesn't scratch or get DQ'd for this! He's having a horrible morning.

obviously two camps on this.

But i stand by my point. I am highly competitive in anything I do, whether I suck at it or not. It makes me want to do better and be better. I don't have to go do the Munga to feel that way about ANY competition.

My honest opinion about  defending the gesture is that you are most probably then also in the camp of handing out medals to the kid who comes dead last because he participated....

someone had to loose. it would have sucked for them yes - especially after 1100km ish....but it would have motivated them even more for next year to come back stronger. Now its just this watered down PC farce. 

if I were in that position I would not have agreed to it. we would both have equal opportunity at a certain stage. if you still end up beating me I would come shake your hand afterwards and be gracious in defeat. 

the world has gone mad.

EDIT: anyway...good luck to the rest of the field and don't make any arrangements about joint placings at the padstal....beat your opponent into submission and be better than them on the day. :P

Edited by morneS555

obviously two camps on this.

But i stand by my point. I am highly competitive in anything I do, whether I suck at it or not. It makes me want to do better and be better. I don't have to go do the Munga to feel that way about ANY competition.

My honest opinion about  defending the gesture is that you are most probably then also in the camp of handing out medals to the kid who comes dead last because he participated....

someone had to loose. it would have sucked for them yes - especially after 1100km ish....but it would have motivated them even more for next year to come back stronger. Now its just this watered down PC farce. 

the world has gone mad.

EDIT: anyway...good luck to the rest of the field and don't make any arrangements about joint placings at the padstal....beat your opponent into submission and be better than them on the day. :P

No it's not that bad, they did the work they raced their asses off and put some serious miles into the chasers

For whatever reason they decided to cross together we have have to accept it happened.... It sucks for all of us that wanted to see a winner

But don't label them as part of this PC BS

My honest opinion about  defending the gesture is that you are most probably then also in the camp of handing out medals to the kid who comes dead last because he or she participated....

PC correction  :whistling:

obviously two camps on this..............

Agreed, and I sure would not have been disappointed if they clawed their way over the finish line. Both ways have a place in extreme endurance sport.  :)