The Munga 2019

Ramrod

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prize giving is wrapped and here are the Provisional CSA sanctioned Results.

THE MUNGA 2019

1 Kevin Benkenstein 56:46:00 Men

1 Thinus Redelinghuis 56:46:00 Men

3 Marco Martins 65:36:00 Men

4 Mike Woolnough 71:18:00 Men

5 Sithembiso Masango 73:34:00 Development 1

6 Martin Bain Venn 73:35:00 Men

7 John Ntuli 74:36:00 Development 2

8 Hano Smit 75:44:00 Men

9 Jacques Swart 79:50:00 Men

10 Michael Mc Dermott 79:58:00 Men

Found it on FB

That’s wrong

Kevin’s name is on top of Theunis’s

They should be side by side

???????? [noComicSansfontoniphone]

Massive respect to every competitor that had the moxie to stand at the start line. Much less pedal halfway through the country via the sauna. 

And as for Mr Woolnough.  :thumbup:

Even Mads is twice the man I am.  :w00t:

Is there anything Alex could have done about it?

not really.

Apart from award them joint 2nd? or is 1.5 more accurate?

As this is a sanctioned race I wonder if the UCI has anything in their rulebook? I guess they expect a finish to have the means to determine the winner. A dead heat is incredibly rare in cycling.

I wouldn't make them a new #1 medal, just give them 1 and 2 and they must work out how to share it themselves!

I was a bit outspoken on this, and with perspective I was viewing it from the position that the MUNGA is a race that wants to be the biggest it can be. The idea of the guaranteed million prize seems to have faded, with that the wider elite entry field that could have been attracted to it. 

I don't buy the respect/sportsmanship angle justifying it - if it were true then does someone who races his opponent not respect them? By making a gentleman's agreement before Ceres, and riding together for that far they basically said the win is not that important "That the race is in the journey and not the end result". That's not good if Alex still has ambitions to take it towards that million dollar type status. The (non)reaction to this from the organisers will be telling. 

I wouldn't be surprised if a rule comes in about "contrived tie" that they have in triathlon

https://www.triathlete.com/2019/08/news/opinion-the-triathletes-in-the-tokyo-test-event-deserved-to-get-dqed_382166

Some are saying here that it happened in Italy divide (a race i had never heard of), but I think there's many many more epic battles of two adversities really digging deep to beat someone right to the end. Here's two I can think of that rank as epic finishes, and to me shows much more respect to rcae your competitor to the final metres than just

Adventure Race World champs 2011 was in Tasmania, 700km of nonstop multisport racing ended on the local cycling track.  After 5 days of racing, there was just 4 minutes between 2nd and 3rd, and a sprint finish for 4th place. It was unprecedented, but the teams just sprinted and hoped that there were rules in place for how to pick them apart.

report_7416_1.jpg

https://www.sleepmonsters.com/races.php?article_id=7416

the ironwar 30 years ago

not really.

Apart from award them joint 2nd? or is 1.5 more accurate?

As this is a sanctioned race I wonder if the UCI has anything in their rulebook? I guess they expect a finish to have the means to determine the winner. A dead heat is incredibly rare in cycling.

I wouldn't make them a new #1 medal, just give them 1 and 2 and they must work out how to share it themselves!

I was a bit outspoken on this, and with perspective I was viewing it from the position that the MUNGA is a race that wants to be the biggest it can be. The idea of the guaranteed million prize seems to have faded, with that the wider elite entry field that could have been attracted to it. 

I don't buy the respect/sportsmanship angle justifying it - if it were true then does someone who races his opponent not respect them? By making a gentleman's agreement before Ceres, and riding together for that far they basically said the win is not that important "That the race is in the journey and not the end result". That's not good if Alex still has ambitions to take it towards that million dollar type status. The (non)reaction to this from the organisers will be telling. 

I wouldn't be surprised if a rule comes in about "contrived tie" that they have in triathlon

https://www.triathlete.com/2019/08/news/opinion-the-triathletes-in-the-tokyo-test-event-deserved-to-get-dqed_382166

Some are saying here that it happened in Italy divide (a race i had never heard of), but I think there's many many more epic battles of two adversities really digging deep to beat someone right to the end. Here's two I can think of that rank as epic finishes, and to me shows much more respect to rcae your competitor to the final metres than just

Adventure Race World champs 2011 was in Tasmania, 700km of nonstop multisport racing ended on the local cycling track.  After 5 days of racing, there was just 4 minutes between 2nd and 3rd, and a sprint finish for 4th place. It was unprecedented, but the teams just sprinted and hoped that there were rules in place for how to pick them apart.

report_7416_1.jpg

https://www.sleepmonsters.com/races.php?article_id=7416

the ironwar 30 years ago

I did not know that Michael Mathews was a world champ. Thanks for those links, interesting reading.

I did not know that Michael Mathews was a world champ. Thanks for those links, interesting reading.

Watching that and hearing Paula Newby-Fraser's name along with Scott and Allen, brought back such memories as that was when I was Tri-ing to be an athlete as well. Those were the stars of the sport.

But, seeing the performance of a Nike sponsored athlete of 1989 vintage now, showed how naive we were. Along with Alberto Salazar and "it's not about the bike", all of it seems suspect.

Watching that and hearing Paula Newby-Fraser's name along with Scott and Allen, brought back such memories as that was when I was Tri-ing to be an athlete as well. Those were the stars of the sport.

But, seeing the performance of a Nike sponsored athlete of 1989 vintage now, showed how naive we were. Along with Alberto Salazar and "it's not about the bike", all of it seems suspect.

There is some truth in there though... it's really not about the bike

There is some truth in there though... it's really not about the bike

It had since been translated into clearer English and it reads: "It really is about the drugs!"  :ph34r:

The differences between the bikes for the two winners/joint seconders/"matchfixers"~Jewbacca/extreme athletes made me wonder about firstly Benky's bike.

Would it not have been even cooler/softer on the upperbody if he used a Lauff fork instead of a rigid one?

And on TB's bike, is it poolnoodle pieces on the handlebar?

Why not ask Benky? He's selling a Lauf currently?

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bike-forks/383174/lauf-grit-15mm-fork

The differences between the bikes for the two winners/joint seconders/"matchfixers"~Jewbacca/extreme athletes made me wonder about firstly Benky's bike.

Would it not have been even cooler/softer on the upperbody if he used a Lauff fork instead of a rigid one?

And on TB's bike, is it poolnoodle pieces on the handlebar?

Edited by Fat Boab