2020 Tour de France

pista

Watch the video posted above. He explains everything.

I think Carapaz will go to TDF and go with Froome as a co-leader in case he hasn't come right.

Bernal didn't look like he had the juice at the Dauphine.... He got dropped pretty hard a few times and had no answer.

Could they be playing the 'Landa' bluff for Carapaz again?

Yep, two birds with one stone. You give Froome the opportunity to ride into some more form and give him an opportunity to build on his legacy if he does come right. If not, Carapaz is there as contender.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best team for the job has been selected..no need for spinning we all saw that Thomas and Froome were not up for the task..plain and simple.

well he does spin it quite nicely in the twitter post. Makes it sound all logical.

Well I guess it is because the Froome and Thomas made the logic easy

The best team for the job has been selected..no need for spinning we all saw that Thomas and Froome were not up for the task..plain and simple.

That was all spin. Spin I'm saying is from the team as they look at reputation enhancement / management. Trying to get ahead fo the story and control it. Saying 'Gee has been 1st in the tour, 2nd in the tour, he needs a big challenge like the Giro'. Thomas has been explicit about wanting to go to the Tour and have a dig all year and has been backed up by team comments until it was exposed in the Dauphine. Fact is, the team they wanted to run is not firing and they have needed to pivot because of it. Coming out and acting like it's all been loaded in a PPT for weeks is pretty blind to what everyone can see. I've been a fan of Sky and what they have done for the sport over the years but I think they are believing their own PR a bit much this year. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Bernal didn't look like he had the juice at the Dauphine.... He got dropped pretty hard a few times and had no answer.

Apparently they’re concerned about his recent back injury too at the moment.

well he does spin it quite nicely in the twitter post. Makes it sound all logical.

Well I guess it is because the Froome and Thomas made the logic easy

A british team excluding british previous winners....

More to pro cycling than winning, exposure for ones sponsors is also a consideration. I am a little surprised both have been excluded. Froome and Thomas are big business on the island. 

A british team excluding british previous winners....

More to pro cycling than winning, exposure for ones sponsors is also a consideration. I am a little surprised both have been excluded. Froome and Thomas are big business on the island. 

INEOS business extends beyond the Island now so the focus will shift away from British riders and more towards the best riders they can source globally.

I expect INEOS to start looking for North American riders as well. Jumbo better have Sepp locked down under a water tight contract that provides opportunity to realise his ambition and pays well....

Edited by DieselnDust

That was all spin....

Good spin it should be said.... nothing about 'difficult decisions' etc all positive, the man is a master.

But just about every other tweeter is along these lines:

·
Ineos leaves Chris Froome and Geraint Thomas out of 2020 Tour de France team, brings in Richard Carapaz:

Any word from Chris Froome's management?

INEOS business extends beyond the Island now so the focus will shift away from British riders and more towards the best riders they can source globally.

I expect INEOS to start looking for North American riders as well. Jumbo better have Sepp locked down under a water tight contract that provides opportunity to realise his ambition and pays well....

Indeed, the Grenadier will be available everywhere in time.

“Hereby, I want to let everyone know that I am very grateful that I am still alive. All the messages and words of support have given me tremendous strength. Step by step I can slowly look to the future, and I will fight to recover.”

Fabio Jakobsen 

Not sure if this is the best spot for it but in exciting and non-ineos news Fausto Masnada has had a mid season switch to Quickstep from CCC. Personally I hope he goes to Le Tour but I guess he'll end up a the Giro. Loved his performances in the Giro last year, picked up a stage for Androni and always seemed to be up the road until it finally stuck. Should be good support for JulianA if he goes. Guess he was drafted for Remco's tilt at the pink jersey until Lombardia happened. 

Yep, two birds with one stone. You give Froome the opportunity to ride into some more form and give him an opportunity to build on his legacy if he does come right. If not, Carapaz is there as contender.

You called it during Dauphine! Made complete sense.

INHO really smart team management by Ineos. From a sponsor perspective, biggest race of the year in cycling and biggest sponsor exposure. Sponsors need media images of a rider train sitting on the front of the peloton, stage wins, jerseys, podiums, etc. At the Dauphine, Jumbo was that team, not Ineos. With this team they will most likely get more positive media exposure. Furthermore, Bernal, Sivakov & Carapaz are all Top 10 candidates for Plan B, C if Bernal runs into difficulty. Jumbo would have preferred C&G at the tour.

Wonder how Carapaz feels about not getting another bite at the Giro again this year? He seems to be the biggest loser, at least that's how it appears on the surface... Unless they potentially sold TDF as an opportunity for him to learn, deputise Bernal and maybe even go for the podium?

You called it during Dauphine! Made complete sense.

INHO really smart team management by Ineos. From a sponsor perspective, biggest race of the year in cycling and biggest sponsor exposure. Sponsors need media images of a rider train sitting on the front of the peloton, stage wins, jerseys, podiums, etc. At the Dauphine, Jumbo was that team, not Ineos. With this team they will most likely get more positive media exposure. Furthermore, Bernal, Sivakov & Carapaz are all Top 10 candidates for Plan B, C if Bernal runs into difficulty. Jumbo would have preferred C&G at the tour.

If you throw enough mud, some of it will stick.  :P

Agreed, Carapaz is good cover just-in-case the back injury to Bernal is more severe than they think.