2020 Tour de France

pista

15min back.. unless they asks nicely no ways he makes the cut.(on a "sprint" stage there isn't much grace.)

Two crashes may earn him some grace.

But even so, not sure he's going to be keen to get out of bed tomorrow.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two crashes may earn him some grace.

But even so, not sure he's going to be keen to get out of bed tomorrow.

Ja shame looks like he finished in time

I see some tweets that Degenkolb finished out side the time limit..haven't seen any confirmation.

Edited by Gen

I wonder what the final crash list will be like. Tomorrow will be a tough day and this course isn’t giving anyone quiet days to recover.

- siv

- Bennett

- Ewan

- Nizzolo

- Porte

- Pinot

- Alaphilippe

- Roglic (?)

- Quintana

- Amador

- Lopez

- Zakarin

- Pozzivivo

- Colbrelli

- Landa

That’s just off the top of my head.

Gibbons on the front.

A bit premature... assuming he was leading out Nizzolo...NTT seem to do that quite often last year

He must have been in a hurry to get safely to the the finish and off those soapy roads

And the major takeaway from todays stage is:

1) Disk brakes are no better than rim brakes. Nobody on disks gained ANY advantage on those wet descents

2) You need a mechanic with a power tool following you if you puncture ( on disk brakes) and want a wheel change. Wait, no that didnt work, did it?. He failed. Right in front of the whole world on live tv.

So what chance have you, 50km from home in the wet with your cute little 5mm allen key?

Edited by Irishj9

1) Disk brakes are no better than rim brakes. Nobody on disks gained ANY advantage on those wet descents

2) You need a mechanic with a power tool following you if you puncture ( on disk brakes) and want a wheel change. Wait, no that didnt work, did it?. He failed. Right in front of the whole world on live tv.

So what chance have you, 50km from home in the wet with your cute little 5mm allen key?

Brakes don't help much when there is oil on the road.

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1299758582309818368?s=19

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1299757096691433472?s=19

Edited by Gen

Power tool in theory should speed up the process, but yes that was quite embarrassing.

I suspect he rounded the the thread on the bolt.

PS not all bolts need a tool ... some have a built in lever.

Edited by Thomo

A bit premature... assuming he was leading out Nizzolo...NTT seem to do that quite often last year

He must have been in a hurry to get safely to the the finish and off those soapy roads

Ja he was Leadout but the SA flag on his helmet was a prominent feature.

LOL yes this topic is not ready to lie down and die...

After having just got my first road bike with discs I'm very happy with their performance, despite being initially anti disc...and yes I'm still not convinced they are really necessary for most forms of road cycling

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/rim-brakes-vs-disc-brakes-which-technology-will-win-the-tour-de-france/

While disc brakes can offer an advantage to braking power and modulation, most notably during wet weather, rim brake technology is still an incredibly capable form of stopping power, and the difference in benefit isn't vast enough to undo the capabilities of three of the best cyclists in today's pro peloton. 

Contrarily, rim brakes offer a logistical trump card when the narrow passes and high mountains come calling. During times where the team car isn't immediately available, neutral service motorbikes are on hand to supply Mavic wheels in the event of a puncture. While the majority of teams are aboard disc brakes, Mavic's neutral service offering will remain a rim-only affair. 

Secondly, with clearances measured in micrometres rather than millimetres, a disc brake wheel change is more likely to lead to brake rub. It's for this reason - and the small amount of time saved - that disc-brake riders have been opting for complete bike changes instead of wheel changes. 

Looking further down the list of Tour de France contendors, it seems that if disc brakes are to win their first-ever Tour de France title, the responsibility rests upon the shoulders of the French. Thibaut Pinot (Groupama FDJ) sits as fourth favourite aboard his disc-brake-equipped Lapierre Xelius, and Julian Alaphilippe occupies the spot of seventh favourite aboard his Specialized Tarmac SL7

Does someone have a link to a video of the mech?

I didn't see, watching qualifying and then had dinner

Not sure i agree that the UCI / Commissures should have intervened.

The riders are professionals and they know they race in all kinds of conditions and must adapt to the conditions.

Easy to say i suppose lying on my couch