The toolbox thread

100Tours

10 minutes ago, BikeisLife said:

You won’t find a reamer with a slug plug or any of the Ryder Innovation tools.

Not quite sure what you need a reamer for? I’ve never used one and plugged many tubeless holes, successfully.  If anything, just use a bigger plug or more plugs. Bicycle tires are fairly soft and conform easily, unlike car tyres where reamers are used. 

The last four trailside punctures were to big for the sludge to seal.  But, too small to get the plug in ....each time the reamer solved it.

PS different bikes, no idea of which sealant each used

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

The last four trailside punctures were to big for the sludge to seal.  But, too small to get the plug in ....each time the reamer solved it.

If you just push down harder with the plugging tool, it will easily pierce the tyre. 

5 minutes ago, BikeisLife said:

If you just push down harder with the plugging tool, it will easily pierce the tyre. 

Seeing four different men not being able to pierce the tire .... then solving the issue in seconds with a reamer ....

I certainly dont want to get stuck without a reamer and then needing it.

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Seeing four different men not being able to pierce the tire .... then solving the issue in seconds with a reamer ....

I certainly dont want to get stuck without a reamer and then needing it.

I'd agree with this, hacking to find something lying around while on a ride to make the hole bigger is hardly worth it when one considers the weight/ size of a reamer. (same goes for my 4x4 tyres, trying to get a plug in a newish thick 4x4 tyre is nearly impossible without a reamer) 

5 hours ago, patches said:

hahaha! I already need a bigger garage. At the moment moving around in the garage is like one of those tile games

Sliding Puzzle - Solving Search Problem with Iterative Deepening A* | by  Greg Surma | Medium

Move the bench to shift the mitre saw to get to the drill bits. That said, I have some garage organisation projects on the cards, which if success will be posted in the woodwork thread. And if not successful, they'll probably end up on there anyway, haha!

Story of life, a workshop is never big enough...
We have a 6m x 15m workshop and you still walk channels. If it is too big to fit on the workbench you end up working on it outside under the tree.

Next phase of workshop is to rebuild the afdak into an undercover open air woodworking shop, should end up 4m x 10m with a closeable end section to lock up the woodwork tools. The other 4mx5m becomes the new gym. But that can only be done after the bathrooms and kitchen are redone.

I have a massive barn / Farm shed, but have managed to fill it with trailers and ***. Have a small gym area for the turbo trainer and the rower, a workshop area and about 4 million tons of wood that Ive cut and stored, which seems to grow every time a tree goes down, which seems to be happening quite often due to Ash dieback disease. 

My biggest issue is getting time and weather to organise the space, but that hasn't stopped me continuing to fill it 

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Best plug solution I have used (Inc. sealing up a sidewall close to the bead) is using leather cut to strips and plugged with regular old patch solution.

14 hours ago, tubed said:

I'd agree with this, hacking to find something lying around while on a ride to make the hole bigger is hardly worth it when one considers the weight/ size of a reamer. (same goes for my 4x4 tyres, trying to get a plug in a newish thick 4x4 tyre is nearly impossible without a reamer) 

That's why I always apply rule no 1: never leave home without a pocketknife...

On 8/16/2022 at 9:07 PM, ChrisF said:

The one bought (small plastic unit) only has the plug tool, no reamer tool.

They now have a tool that looks like a gas bomb ... very nice unit .... also no reamer (at least not on the unit I saw at Mark's).

We needed the reamer on the last three tubeless repairs.  So really want this.

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I've been rising tubeless tyres since 2005, and I've only used a reamer fixing tyres on my trailers. Never on a bike. I don't even have one in my workshop toolbox, let alone on the bike. 

On the one hand, you are always willing, and equipped, to help, on the other hand, it seems that you are a magnet for bad luck. 

I had a bit of a moment yesterday when I realised that Stihl designed their chainsaws in such a way that you only need one tool in the field to replace a blade, tension it, clean everything and even replace the spark plug in the field. 

Simplicity is underrated. 

674B729D-3517-4F91-87ED-8BDF89F8FFFC.jpeg

6 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

I had a bit of a moment yesterday when I realised that Stihl designed their chainsaws in such a way that you only need one tool in the field to replace a blade, tension it, clean everything and even replace the spark plug in the field. 

Agree with this, so handy having just one tool to take along. (now if they could just turn the shaft into a file for the chain teeth).

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

it is funny how the Chinese copy these things. We have an el cheapo Adendorff chainsaw, it came with the same tool. But you are right it is a gamechanger for convenience in the field.