Table Mountain permit system

eddy

Jebacca, I am in full agreement with you on your post above.

To add, the illegal trails that were built on the front of Table Mountain and in Tokai Forest, were eventually legalised through people like TableMountainBikers and Tokai MTB who followed the correct procedure, negotiated with SANParks and came to a mutually acceptable agreement. Stretches like the link between Constantia Neck and Newlands Forest were opened because of PPA and the above groups motivating and getting it approved legally. There is a right path (pun intended) to follow, and although it may be slow and frustrating, that legal path is rideable.

Here's to more of the mountain getting opened to us!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It blows my mind that they can not just pop a couple of Snapscan pay points to the entrances of the trails and outside some of the offices so that one can purchase a day entry in a convenient manner.

Surprised they do not only accept checks and not cash .... seeing as how behind the times they are.

since lockdown permits have only be available at tokai best would be to call and confirm.

Correct.

CT Tourism office is no longer in existence. Tokai office is the only place to do permits. 

Note they also closed during lunch hour. 

• 1 year later...

My friend tried to enter cape point with his level 3 activity permit but without his bicycle and they made him pay normal entrance fee's because apparently you ALSO need a wildcard. The activity permit can only be used for cycling. 
Anyone else had that experience? Seems idiotic to me -_-

Makes zero sense. Have heard the same thing from others. Sometimes you do get lucky and they let you through. 

Just put a kids bike in the boot and tell them you’re going riding. 😁😁

12 minutes ago, J C said:

My friend tried to enter cape point with his level 3 activity permit but without his bicycle and they made him pay normal entrance fee's because apparently you ALSO need a wildcard. The activity permit can only be used for cycling. 

yup, happened to me a few times..idiotic is mildly put...

2 hours ago, J C said:

That's an old rule. It makes sense if you think about it actually, at least the guys are following orders.

Just take your bike along. Or get a kids balance bike for R200 and you are golden if you want to tjooks the system.

14 hours ago, J C said:

I don't find this idiotic, you permit is for cycling. if you are not cycling you must buy a ticket or get a wild card

14 minutes ago, herrowpreeze said:

I don't find this idiotic, you permit is for cycling. if you are not cycling you must buy a ticket or get a wild card

No, my permit is for horse riding, line fishing, transport and cycling. It would make sense for all the activity cards levels below the most expensive level be included. It's as much as paying for a wild card to visit one park. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 10:34 AM, guidodg said:

sorry but it IS idiotic that I must pay to run but not to ride...even the employees at the gate agreed..

Really?

Just about every section of the park is free for runners, with one or two exceptions, not one section is free for cycling.

Idiotic is cyclists having to pay in all the park when other user groups are allowed free access.

And it's not like the funds raised go towards improving the trails or mitigating any impact cycling has on the environment.

6 minutes ago, marko35s said:

Really?

Just about every section of the park is free for runners, with one or two exceptions, not one section is free for cycling.

Idiotic is cyclists having to pay in all the park when other user groups are allowed free access.

And it's not like the funds raised go towards improving the trails or mitigating any impact cycling has on the environment.

exactly...not sure why cyclist have to pay while generally running is free...none of it makes any sense really

The whole system is stupid.

The application process is outdated.

I don't even know what the fees are for. Definitely not for repairs. Most of our (non-cycling) trails in TM are repaired by volunteers. 

The last time I've seen a ranger on site was during Lockdown when they dutifully guarded TM against illegal adventurers.

Join the "Friends of Table Mountain" action group on FB for updates on the repairs groups are effecting on TM hiking trails and other news and developments. The wooden bridges and walk ways on the Table are falling apart and no response from TMNP re repairs. Bark stripping is rife in Newlands Forest and there are people camping and making open fires above Kalk Bay. Scant if any response from TMNP. Woefully ill-equipped to manage a park like this. They have suffered a major loss of income during Covid but are no doubt raking in the 100 bar p/a they get from Cape Point gate takings etc again.