Table Mountain permit system

eddy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anything needed for hiking and running?

No

But you need an activity permit for cycling, sport climbing, dog walking, horse riding, and paragliding.

Edited by Trance Dance

Is anything needed for hiking and running?

This is my other gripe with the Activity Card requirement for the front of Table Mountain:

Why not include the hikers and the walkers as well? Why give access for free to some while others pay?

Why make me pay to ride my bike on Tafelberg Road while the runner gets a freebie?  Why make me pay to ride my mtb above Rhodes Mem while the picnic party can walk up there for free and trash the place with empty beer bottles? 

All should pay or nobody should pay!

For specific areas like Tokai, Cape Point and Silvermine West I have no problem with the payment of a day permit or a yearly Activity Card because everybody pay! 

Edited by DJR

Would still love TMNP to tell us what the use the Activity Permit money from MTB and Sport Climbing for to put back into the community. From my 8+ years trying to deal with their absolute horse $h1t on this subject they are yet to show anything spent. Especially for climbing. Sorry, build your own path, bolt your own route, maintain your own, etc, etc, etc. honestly it really should be boycotted until they commit to giving back to the ppl paying for these. Not enough bureaucracy to catch everyone if nobody has a permit. Not that the community would rally together for that anyhoo.

Would still love TMNP to tell us what the use the Activity Permit money from MTB and Sport Climbing for to put back into the community. .......................

The answer I got from them was that that money is used to offset the damage done by said cyclists, climbers and dog walkers. I call bull**** on that one.

They have never repaired anything on behalf of cyclists or climbers. (The erosion is mostly caused by  jeep tracks. Possibly the biggest damage is caused by invasive alien plants. ) I have never even seen them do the one really necessary thing, which is to clean up dog **** near parts where dog walking is allowed.

So, to answer your question, it is just revenue that pays salaries and running costs. Most of it is spent elsewhere, not on Table Mountain. The only two of their parks turning a profit are Kruger and Table Mountain National Park. These two fund everything else. So, I suppose we do make a good contribution to that, but not a cent of it is giver back to those who contribute.

The answer I got from them was that that money is used to offset the damage done by said cyclists, climbers and dog walkers. I call bull**** on that one.

They have never repaired anything on behalf of cyclists or climbers. (The erosion is mostly caused by  jeep tracks. Possibly the biggest damage is caused by invasive alien plants. ) I have never even seen them do the one really necessary thing, which is to clean up dog **** near parts where dog walking is allowed.

So, to answer your question, it is just revenue that pays salaries and running costs. Most of it is spent elsewhere, not on Table Mountain. The only two of their parks turning a profit are Kruger and Table Mountain National Park. These two fund everything else. So, I suppose we do make a good contribution to that, but not a cent of it is giver back to those who contribute.

Yep, this is the generic k@kapoeffie answer they always give. I guess they do some work around Kirstenbosch trails. But absolutely nothing anywhere else regarding MTB. And even less than zero when it comes to climbing related.

Really pathetic.

Would still love TMNP to tell us what the use the Activity Permit money from MTB and Sport Climbing for to put back into the community. From my 8+ years trying to deal with their absolute horse $h1t on this subject they are yet to show anything spent. Especially for climbing. Sorry, build your own path, bolt your own route, maintain your own, etc, etc, etc. honestly it really should be boycotted until they commit to giving back to the ppl paying for these. Not enough bureaucracy to catch everyone if nobody has a permit. Not that the community would rally together for that anyhoo.

User Group: "Right time to boycott your activity card fees"

SANParks: *Shrugs shoulders and has a long look at the money pouring in at Boulders and Cape Point*

Yep, this is the generic k@kapoeffie answer they always give. I guess they do some work around Kirstenbosch trails. But absolutely nothing anywhere else regarding MTB. And even less than zero when it comes to climbing related.

Really pathetic.

No, they most certainly do not. That was funded, built and maintained by SANBI / Botanical Society of SA, and they have absolutely nothing to do with SANParks. In fact, when you ride the trail between Rhodes and Constantia Neck, you can see exactly which belongs to Parks and which to Kirstenbosch. Parks is just jeep track and often rough, eroded and un-maintained. Kirstenbosch is sweet single track with bridges and wood chips to prevent mud and erosion. Chalk and cheese I tell you.

No, they most certainly do not. That was funded, built and maintained by SANBI / Botanical Society of SA, and they have absolutely nothing to do with SANParks. In fact, when you ride the trail between Rhodes and Constantia Neck, you can see exactly which belongs to Parks and which to Kirstenbosch. Parks is just jeep track and often rough, eroded and un-maintained. Kirstenbosch is sweet single track with bridges and wood chips to prevent mud and erosion. Chalk and cheese I tell you.

Well that makes it even worse then :(

I've had an argument with them about it a couple of years ago. My reasoning was that my bicycle was my vehicle and my Green card allows me access. They said yes, walk in or drive your car in, ride your motorbike, but not ride your bicycle through the gate. Moronic!

But yes, you can buy the cycling day permit at the gate. 

And it is worth doing the stretch all the way to the Point itself. Take in a loop or two on the side roads also. It is very beautiful, watch out for Bontebok and Eland, just KNOW that if the southeaster is howling, it can blow you to a standstill if you are lucky.......off the bike and into the fynbos if you are unlucky.

or this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI

:eek: A ticked off male ostrich is a scary and seriously dangerous thing.  :eek: But hat was some impressive sprinting, the ostrich has a top speed of something like 65 km/h

Edit: I see that Google says it is 70 km/h. Suppose where I grew up my grandfathers farm ostriches were a bit slower on the bad dirt roads. Must be the tar that let them get up to 70 ;)  :D  

Edited by DJR

That ostrich needs to train more...he doesn't hold his line very well!

:clap:  :D Not a bunch riding kind, maybe a dirt roadie  ;)  :whistling:  :ph34r: