Are Hardtails dead?

T_Boss

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been toying with the thought for a number of months now to go back to a hardtail, but thinking of that long corrugated karoo roads in the middle of the night... you will be the first one to slap me through the face.  

That 10 hours of corrugations through the Tankwa Karoo brutally killed off my theory that my HT can do anything a FS can do.. Would love to see someone do that road on a gravel bike...  :ph34r:

That 10 hours of corrugations through the Tankwa Karoo brutally killed off my theory that my HT can do anything a FS can do.. Would love to see someone do that road on a gravel bike...  :ph34r:

yeah like that guy who won the Munga on a gravelbike...what was his name again?

The guy he shared the win with must proper suck.... he could only barely stick with him on a DS mtb

:D  ;) 

Only 10 hours? I've done 6 Trans Karoos, all of them taking more than 12 hours, all of them on hard tail. No problem. 

Only 10 hours? I've done 6 Trans Karoos, all of them taking more than 12 hours, all of them on hard tail. No problem. 

I have also done the Trans Karoo on a HT a few times, no problem fine those times the conditions were fine for a HT, that day though was not the Trans Karoo route and the roads were in a far worse condition.

I ended up doing about 320km on the HT before I gave up (was a bit more than 10 hours)

yeah like that guy who won the Munga on a gravelbike...what was his name again?

The guy he shared the win with must proper suck.... he could only barely stick with him on a DS mtb

:D  ;) 

Again - on that day that road was far worse than normal, but yes imagine how easy that beast on the gravel bike would have won if he had the advantage of a FS  :P

snip

...but yes imagine how easy that beast on the gravel bike would have won if he had the advantage of a FS  :P

i wonder if he's actually thought about this lol. guess we'll know by the next one.

i wonder if he's actually thought about this lol. guess we'll know by the next one.

I am genuinely amazed how some people do the Munga on a HT/gravel bike, not even mentioning winning it - that's just next level hardcore 

Hardtails definitely aren’t dead, just gotta know where to find them. A few weeks ago I picked up a Commencal meta am. 29er, eagle 12spd, 150mm lyric up front, and beast of all - 65 degree head angle.

I’ve spent some time on this bike now and man, no regrets selling the road bike. Happily Cruz along sealed surfaces and get to explore any trails I find along the way. On the trails it’s a roudy barrel of fun! Just as capable as my full sus, just not as forgiving. The meta has quickly become my go to bike for a quick ride after work etc.. best part of all, after riding the meta for a couple weeks, I jumped back on my Hightower and it felt like dream. Hardtails Are ALIVE

321F9DF1-0952-4109-B7A3-A7040DD123D8.jpeg

Nice looking bike! Your place need some TLC. Just sayin.

Love my hardtail. Riding a Chisel with upgraded traverse wheelset and a Renthal cockpit. It's by far the most fun I've had riding bikes for a very long time. Modern geo and suspension is amazing comparing just how fast you can ride this bike compared to bikes from the 90's.

post-18173-0-30527900-1581103649_thumb.png

Love my hardtail. Riding a Chisel with upgraded traverse wheelset and a Renthal cockpit. It's by far the most fun I've had riding bikes for a very long time. Modern geo and suspension is amazing comparing just how fast you can ride this bike compared to bikes from the 90's

I hope you not related to Dewan................