Are Hardtails dead?

T_Boss

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always had hard tails, im 45 now, in my mind i feel 10 years younger but i have to listen to my body, it sucks, still on a hardtail even when most people say when you start getting older you must get a soft tail, i dont agree. We always talk about weight but for me the less my bike weighs the better as i feel it on uphills. A soft tail with same spec will be at least 2kg heavier and you can feel that almost all the time. For me its not about speeding down massive or long downhills, its the dame uphills. 

I also prefer the instant speed and power when you stand and push with a hard tail, even though soft tails have dual lock outs, its just not the same, well, in the 20 to 30k price range, when you start spending 50k + on a soft tail then yes, different story. 

I ride my bike everyday and prefer the simplicity and low maintenance a 1x hardtail offers. Personally I think full sus are for people with too much money or back problems. 

Currently my bike has over 28,000km on the odo and I would ideally like to take it over 40,000km - around the world effectively. 

I am a Roadie, was the last 10years or so. So. . . .
My kid started to do MTB for school. Bought myself a Spez Stumpjumper entryish bike to ride with her (not a spez fan but they gave me a great deal and finance).

did my first 40km this weekend in themud and loved it. Next race planned 70km in Feb (first real race). Gonna have to get used to washing my bike more often though.

The hardtail felt great but maybe the course was made for it..

the Scott Scale, I am still to find something it can't do for my riding and skill level I love this bike. The RM was not a all day ride HT.

ah, I'm on the RM vertex 990. love it. can ride it all day.

never thought i would end up doing long endurance stuff on ht bike, maybe i should switch frames as much as you!

Hardtails are far from dead. Horses for courses, I say.

On a similar note, I just bought a 1992 Diamondback steel frame hardtail for R500. It's a rigid single speed (cro-mo fork) with cantilever brakes. This will be my daily commuter/shack bike/coffee shop bike.

I'm 49. I should not be allowed anywhere near a full sus.

We've all heard it. "The apocalypse will not be motorised people!".

Similarly - squish, pivot bearings and linkages wont survive either. 

What you'll need is a cockroach...

A real bike...

rigid bike.

:D 

My commuter bike that does 100km's a week. I Get some strange stares every now and then when cruising through town with this one. Hardtail, 26'',rigid with v-brakes......what can go wrong !  :thumbup:

post-62204-0-69406100-1580198235_thumb.jpeg

I will say it again... You get Hardtails

attachicon.gifhardtail1.jpg

And you get Hardtails...

attachicon.gifHardtail2.jpg

You guys are talking about Spez and 'Dale etc but in reality there is a whole industry out there full of bike manufacturers who spend most of their time making hardtails.

It's like talking about VW and Toyota and forgetting to even look at Bugati's and Aston Martins or an Ineos Grenadier.

BTR, Kingdom, Shan Production Privee, Kona, Ragley and more all make hardtails that would leave the large production companies dead in the water.

So if you want a hardtail that can be built under 10kg and used to race, rad.

But proper ones are made for hooning and none of the 'big brands' have dipped their toes into that

SAGE_POWERLINE_Pro_Cem.jpg?w=1400&qualit

Show us the reach and the HA!

we're developing a Cromo 29er Hardtail for the Bikepacking / Touring rider -- head angle will vary by size but is 69 to 69.5 degrees. 

reach is 437mm on a Medium ( 17" seattube ) frame.

this is a 2021 model for us but one we are very excited about ... there will also be something for the NEW SCHOOL GRAVEL crowd ... 

Jirrrrrrrre good old AutoCAD, that's a blast from the past. SO.MANY.COLOURS!

Well, I hope its AutoCAD and that your designers aren't purposefully changing SolidWorks/Inventor/NX colour schemes to look like that. 

#makehardtailsgreatagain 

Jirrrrrrrre good old AutoCAD, that's a blast from the past. SO.MANY.COLOURS!

Well, I hope its AutoCAD and that your designers aren't purposefully changing SolidWorks/Inventor/NX colour schemes to look like that. 

hahaha...I was literally going to post the same thing when i saw the pic. 

autocad. yuk ^_^