Would you like to have your own business?

Scinetic

midday bike rides but your phone will ALWAYS ring

Ring ring, right at the moment as your heart rate hits about 190 because you are going uphill ....

And the call is from THAT client and you cannot ignore it.

And so you become the tjop that answers his phone while on his bike, or rather stops on the side of the road and takes the call.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys would you like to have your own business? If so, what kind of business would it be? If you don't want to, please tell me why. ^_^

This is your third post, so my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

What is your motivation for asking the question? You doing research, you thinking about your own business? Why do you want to know?

This is your third post, so my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

What is your motivation for asking the question? You doing research, you thinking about your own business? Why do you want to know?

clearly he's not motivated enough to respond to peoples answers on this thread.

We have started a small business just over a year ago. Mainly selling spices, and some coffee. The spices have taken off very well. We are distributing as far as Johannesburg. We have a request to send to St Helena as well. It is still early days, but so far so good. Coffee is rather slow though.

We have started a small business just over a year ago. Mainly selling spices, and some coffee. The spices have taken off very well. We are distributing as far as Johannesburg. We have a request to send to St Helena as well. It is still early days, but so far so good. Coffee is rather slow though.

More info please.......... I already get my beans from another 2 hubbers(nerd and flippa) but keen to try your spices.

My wife and I started our own business in 2017. With the company I work for, we had to do something for extra cash. Back then the companies future(and the security of my job) wasn't really an issue but now we don't know if there will be a job to come back to each day so just as well we started making plans before the k@k hits the fan.

It is a small property leasing company(currently 3 paid off properties and about to buy the 4th) but is growing all the time. We luckily don't really take much from the company so all profit goes into expanding. The plan is for once the company makes enough for us to sustain our life then it will become our 9-5 but until then I will continue with my current day job and run the business on the side. My wife stopped working in 2018 when the twins were born but looking after the 3 kids is a full time job anyway, just with no salary! For now the only "salary" we pay is services to the accountant and that is not much, think around R5k a year. We are always looking at expanding and have plans to buy commercial property as well as private property in Mauritius. Am in talks with an investor but I need to show a bit more of a turn over, hence the reason I need to get more private property asap.

What are your thoughts on the property market in SA at the moment? From what I've heard from folk in the game it's quite a challenge at the moment. Too much uncertainty and risk, particularly in the rental market of higher value property and commercial property. Loads of commercial property sitting empty and rental of higher value residential property which has often been to highly skilled expats on a few year assignments to SA no longer happenening because these expats are just not coming to work in SA like they did in the past (work visa issues etc). Sure there is probably still a decent demand for cluster type houses in the nigger cities but overall the situation seems tough.

But then again there is that saying about when people are yelling I'm selling and when people are crying I'm buying.

Commercial property is overpriced, hence why many are empty. People rather renovate and work from home. Residential rentals are a problem when the lessee faults on rent, and you not allowed to have them removed.

What are your thoughts on the property market in SA at the moment? From what I've heard from folk in the game it's quite a challenge at the moment. Too much uncertainty and risk, particularly in the rental market of higher value property and commercial property. Loads of commercial property sitting empty and rental of higher value residential property which has often been to highly skilled expats on a few year assignments to SA no longer happenening because these expats are just not coming to work in SA like they did in the past (work visa issues etc). Sure there is probably still a decent demand for cluster type houses in the nigger cities but overall the situation seems tough.

But then again there is that saying about when people are yelling I'm selling and when people are crying I'm buying.

Friends of mine are in the high value short term residential property rental game (on the management side) They're running off their feet, they're so busy. 2019 was a challenging year, but they're already up on the whole of 2019 in terms of bookings. Corona could impact that hugely though.

I already have. The business is small, but it brings me a small income. I make various things out of wood and sell them online. I recently hired Magecloud to make me a cool online store. Now it's much easier for me to sell trinkets.

Edited by Xianders

No such thing as easy money(unless you win the lotto).

So all my properties were bought for just under R1bar. 2 of them are from balwin developments and the other an older small house in an estate(own garden, single story, cars park in your yard set up). I keep my rent increase as low as possible and sometimes have gone 2 years without an increase just to keep a tenant. 1 of my units was empty for 2 months middle of last year. I don't mind 1 month as it gives me time to paint and show without making plans with current tenants. But I had a really bad tenant that I forced out so I didn't mind the extra empty month. In Dec 2017 I bought a unit and it was transferred in Feb 2018. It was brand new and open until 1 MAY. I had a lot of chance takers who failed the credit check dismally. The single lady I have in there now moved up from a small town somewhere near sabie for work. She got a promotion to her companies head office here in joburg and although she signed with me middle March, her post only started in May.

So ja, they not full for 12 months unless you have a longer term tenant but I am fortunate that they paid off so I can afford to have it open for a month or so. Levies are minimal.

WRT the commercial property, yes it is a higher risk at the moment but I am not looking into retail, I am looking at some storage factories. There is an industrial area not far from me that has a lot of storage factories. Then near by is a makro, PnP, game, Hi-Fi corp etc. Basically all the big retailers and they all rent near-by storage factories for extra stock. The nice thing is, no offices, no larney ablution blocks, no extra Health and Safety required when you have staff there all the time. They usually have a hand full of staff including security guards. The trucks that come collect and load often have their own guys to load/off load. As long as the factory doesn't leak, rodent free, secure then they happy.

Been running my own business since 1997.  It is never easy and holidays are infrequent and often not taken.  Even if you do manage a holiday, with cell phones and internet you never really switch off.

As waybemol said, when times are good you can enjoy life, and in a blink of an eye you take a minimal or no salary to keep the business going.  2008/9 were really tough years, the way 2020 has started it is likely to be the same.

I started out doing what I enjoy, these days it feels like my job is a debt collector.  Everybody wants the work, nobody wants to pay for it.... it has it's own particular kind of stress when you have salaries to pay, medical aid, insurance.

How I have often considered going back to corporate, sitting in the corner and putting up with the ***t that comes with and just collecting a salary.

My wife works for herself, and alone, at home. As Shaper said, people want it now but don’t pay now. She needs the work, but also shouldn’t have to beg for payment. Her take home pay is not great so my corporate job pays for the majority of the bills.

I have the drive/discipline to make a success of a owner managed business but I’m not focused enough to actually do it.

I always wanted to be an entrepreneur, hope this year I'll finally create my own startup. I have already found short term loan service here to help me with that tast. It takes only a few minutes to fill the form and get money.

Edited by greys

how fast can you make hand sanitiser and bog roll

We're getting quite a few inquiries for sanitizer ingredients. There is opportunity in everything, even in times of chaos and economic despair.