2020 Cape Epic Cancelled

News bot

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this. It is worth your time and will help to understand. With only a handful of virus positive visitors this event could have been a super-spreader and caused a catastrophe for Western Cape. The risk is real. Tough decision, I truly feel for the riders. A f#$%up of 'epic' proportions (excuse the pun). But this is not about the riders' health alone but about everybody in the province and beyond.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Jeepers that paints a bleak picture. Excellent read, thanks

My wifes company is in events and my agency works mainly for events clients (different ones though). Basically we've gone from both having work scheduled for the next 5 months to nothing in two days and all income stopped as the cancellations rained down since Friday. That's 2 businesses, 10 staff, all gone and very little chance of getting new events off the ground in the next 4 - 6 months and in the current environment pivoting into something that will at least pay bills looks pretty impossible.

Just one of the many industries, companies and others that will become collateral damage along this journey. 

Who is going to refund us losses on pensions, providents, investments, etc? Nobody! Sometimes **** happens and everyone loses. It’s not just the epic rides who have lost here. And if they epic went ahead and the disease spread faster; the impact on the global economy and markets will be felt even more

So say they gave the riders the option, 75% percent of the riders continued to risk it. They feel strong, don't have symptoms and no one came from Italy.

That's 750 riders , with all the support staff going with it, let's thumbsuck and say 250, that's 1000 people living in close proximity for 8 days. But 30 of those riders were asymptomatic carriers who got infected on the plane en route to cape town. Now they go and ride their hearts out for 8 days, suppress their immune systems, some are so tired that they neglect hygiene a bit. So those 30 carriers become 45 carriers. But all are asymptomatic. Afterwards they go home, or spend another week in Cape Town, maybe to Mzolis, or do a township tour.

10days after Epic that rider start showing symptoms. Phone the hotline and get a test at home. Positive. Self quarantine, because he is sick, but not enough to warrant hospitalisation.

So now the trace starts. The NICD now has 1000 first line contacts to follow up on, but those 1000 went home to families, their kids went to school, they went shopping, rode on public transport. And the NICD still has to go to mzolis.

Now if yiu think this is unlikely, the Epic has a history or riders with diarrhea. The riders can't even maintain basic hygiene to prevent a spread of gypo guts.

Do you still think it's an over reaction?

The riders can't even sh^t IN the toilet!!!

The riders can't even sh^t IN the toilet!!!

made me think of this scene from that Benchwarmers movie haha...

"WHO DID THIS!??!"

post-64325-0-24226500-1584251219_thumb.gif

Edited by morneS555

Read this. It is worth your time and will help to understand. With only a handful of virus positive visitors this event could have been a super-spreader and caused a catastrophe for Western Cape. The risk is real. Tough decision, I truly feel for the riders. A f#$%up of 'epic' proportions (excuse the pun). But this is not about the riders' health alone but about everybody in the province and beyond.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Good article, thanks. Unfortunately the people that need to hear this will say it is alarmist.

I'll forward it to our HR next week. Time to test drive the Work From Home thing.

Ride the 2020 Route

2020 Absa Cape Epic trail networks

In light of the cancellation of the 2020 Absa Cape Epic, the team has worked over the last 24 hours alongside the dedicated and passionate 2020 land owners to grant registered riders access to certain sections of the route that was to be ridden over the next 8 days. Our aim is to ensure that all riders who have travelled from around the globe leave South Africa having experienced just a small part of what this incredible event, and all its stakeholders, have to offer with its vast network of breath taking trails and untamed landscapes.

Please ensure you sign in using your Absa Cape Epic race number to receive your complimentary trail permits, which have been arranged by our land owners.

READ THE REST HERE:

https://www.cape-epic.com/riders/the-2020-race/ride-the-2020-route

Thinking about it the Cape Epic is a bit like a landlocked cruise ship with similar shared facilities and possibly worse if you consider shared toilets and showers. Looking at the rate of the virus being spread on a cruise ship added to the fact that a large number of competitors come from Europe which is currently being considered the epicentre of the pandemic, cancelling the event was the only option. That does not make the pain that is being felt by those getting ready to register yesterday any less.

Thinking about it the Cape Epic is a bit like a landlocked cruise ship with similar shared facilities and possibly worse if you consider shared toilets and showers. Looking at the rate of the virus being spread on a cruise ship added to the fact that a large number of competitors come from Europe which is currently being considered the epicentre of the pandemic, cancelling the event was the only option. That does not make the pain that is being felt by those getting ready to register yesterday any less.

Which begs the question if it is wise to proceed with these rides ...

Unlike a cruise ship ... once these rides are done the riders go home and potentially spread the virus ....

Going ahead with this when the rest of the sporting world cancels events borders on irresponsible ...

Which begs the question if it is wise to proceed with these rides ...

Unlike a cruise ship ... once these rides are done the riders go home and potentially spread the virus ....

Going ahead with this when the rest of the sporting world cancels events borders on irresponsible ...

I wonder if social distancing on the ride might not mitigate the risk. No slip streaming and watch that snot rocket.

Got to wonder if Ironman as a company are going to be able to pull through all of this lost income from all the cancelled events this year.

200 million dollars debt in 2019 and 2020 not going to help them lessen that

now imagine our predicament on the southern tip of deepest DARKEST africa .... we have this 21st century invention, they call it "load shedding" ....

now even if you buy a generator, there still is nothing to watch on tv ....

after 30 years I actually have to talk to my wife ..... (death to whomever show this post to my wife)

Start playing onliine games. Become the Nerd you always wanted to be.  :ph34r:

But last week 30000 riders rode the CTCT .They could have cancelled the foreign riders and let the saffas ride  .