2020 Cape Epic Cancelled

News bot

I don’t mind chilling at home or walking in the forest here but there is no sport at all on TV which is rough. The positive is that I found out my wife’s favorite colour is pink after 20yrs together.

now imagine our predicament on the southern tip of deepest DARKEST africa .... we have this 21st century invention, they call it "load shedding" ....

now even if you buy a generator, there still is nothing to watch on tv ....

after 30 years I actually have to talk to my wife ..... (death to whomever show this post to my wife)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know of any international riders that are looking to ride the Epic Trails, we have mountain biking guides, trailers and vehicles available #AWOLTours contact www.awoltours.co.za

More or less about an hour ago, I turn a bend on "De Waal" now Philip Kgosana Drive and cars are dodging about 6 cyclist of Team Brazil. I nearly road one over. 

Have no idea why they cycling on that road, but its just crazy. I wonder if they went down hospital bend.

I think a brief to visiting cyclists where is good, safe etc to cycle should be done, especially with riders doing events here.

Overreacting IMO. The riders should have been asked if they want to ride or not - not make a decision for them. #paybackthemoney

Together with most of the upcoming pro peleton tours? 

Where can we buy the brand new S Works bikes that were bought by the overweight/unfit sponsor CEO's that were only going to be used in the prologue?

Seriously though, I feel bad for the guys who paid their entries. The Epic will come unstuck if they don't give those guys at least free entries next year.

F1

MotoGP

MXGP

WSL

NBA

Tennis

Was any of these canceled in 2009 when H1N1 infected 1.4 billion people?

I'd say it's precisely BECAUSE H1N1 infected 1.4bn people that these measures are being taken, plus H1N1 had a death rate of LESS THAN 1/100th that of COVID-19. That is why it's important that these measures are taken. 

H1N1 death rate : 0.02% COVID-19 death rate: 2% at the moment, conservatively. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

In trying to make your own point, you actually made our point even stronger for us.

If this was real just a trivial flu or something we as Joe Soap has blown out of proportion, there is no way in hell that these financial behemoths in sport would put their earnings on hold. The people in control of these sports care about growing their sports to increase revenue for the sport.

Cancelling the season is not a decision anybody takes lightly.

Only sensible reason that makes sense to me as to why you are so bent on making this seem less terrible than it clearly is is that you have some serious "skin in the game"?

Are you maybe in the travel industry? Or in Sports broadcasting?

In trying to make your own point, you actually made our point even stronger for us.

If this was real just a trivial flu or something we as Joe Soap has blown out of proportion, there is no way in hell that these financial behemoths in sport would put their earnings on hold. The people in control of these sports care about growing their sports to increase revenue for the sport.

Cancelling the season is not a decision anybody takes lightly.

Only sensible reason that makes sense to me as to why you are so bent on making this seem less terrible than it clearly is is that you have some serious "skin in the game"?

Are you maybe in the travel industry? Or in Sports broadcasting?

If they are offering no refunds, how will they lose? Edited by Matchstix

I'd say it's precisely BECAUSE H1N1 infected 1.4bn people that these measures are being taken, plus H1N1 had a death rate of LESS THAN 1/100th that of COVID-19. That is why it's important that these measures are taken.

H1N1 death rate : 0.02% COVID-19 death rate: 2% at the moment, conservatively.

28 Million dead if we get the same infection total with a death rate of 2percent.

However, it is clearly visible that this thing will hit some regions much higher than others, for various reasons.

So some might not even see a noteworthy impact, whereas other regions will be completely decimated.

I for one would not have believed someone if they were to tell me that at the current death rate Italy can pass the death tally of China within the next 7 days..

Read this. It is worth your time and will help to understand. With only a handful of virus positive visitors this event could have been a super-spreader and caused a catastrophe for Western Cape. The risk is real. Tough decision, I truly feel for the riders. A f#$%up of 'epic' proportions (excuse the pun). But this is not about the riders' health alone but about everybody in the province and beyond.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca