Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Nice choice in music. I also use ACDC, Bon Jovi, Bob Seger, ZZ Top, Billy Idol and a host of others. Depends on how fast I want to go as to who I listen to.

I did my ride to a Rolling Stones Concert this morning . Their concerts are real high energy performances . Im sure Mick Jagger runs a marathon in those two hours . 

I need some input . I have now been spinning for 3 days . One hour morning (7)one in the afternoon (4) about . I spin at 90 / 100 rpm . I use life music concerts as my rhythm . When there is a solo piece guitar , drums , flute , piano  or any other instrument I treat that like a sprint or climb until the whole band plays or the singer starts . So in an hour I can sprint (120/130 rpm) 8 to  12 times from a few seconds to sometime 3 to 5 min . I have my resistance set fairly tight , if i give the pedal a hard push it only does half a revolution .  My legs are now sorer than riding 60 to 80 km  of road at 24 km ave . Why do you think it is .

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my ride to a Rolling Stones Concert this morning . Their concerts are real high energy performances . Im sure Mick Jagger runs a marathon in those two hours . 

I need some input . I have now been spinning for 3 days . One hour morning (7)one in the afternoon (4) about . I spin at 90 / 100 rpm . I use life music concerts as my rhythm . When there is a solo piece guitar , drums , flute , piano  or any other instrument I treat that like a sprint or climb until the whole band plays or the singer starts . So in an hour I can sprint (120/130 rpm) 8 to  12 times from a few seconds to sometime 3 to 5 min . I have my resistance set fairly tight , if i give the pedal a hard push it only does half a revolution .  My legs are now sorer than riding 60 to 80 km  of road at 24 km ave . Why do you think it is .

Leonard Cohen Live In London for the next two days and you'll be fine.

I am a absolute beginner at this stuff, but I will gooi a opinion. From what I have read, intervals (which is kinda what you are doing) should be done twice a week with a rest day afterwards. You are doing it twice a day (kudos to you for that).

Think you are overdoing it.

Simplistic and useful article for specificity in indoor training by Cyclingnews

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/how-to-use-indoor-training-to-smash-your-outdoor-riding-goals/

Thanks a useful read and i must agree that if it were a normal situation of being able to train on road and then use your indoor trainer as a tool for measuring yes do it that suggested  way . Im just trying to do my two hours a day which i normally do daily in one ride . Two hours on a spinning bike is real shitty  . Ive managed to keep my legs going , heart rate down and lungs pumping . It also takes away the hum drum boredom of only being able to work on my house and garden . Im hoping that when i get on my bike and do a 80km off road ride that im in the same condition as before lock down . Stay strong bikies and stay home lets come out on top . 

Edited by FirstV8

Didn't you ask for input? Which answer are you after? The reason why you are tired is the overall intensity of the trainer session is more than your normal ride (probably?).

Thanks a useful read and i must agree that if it were a normal situation of being able to train on road and then use your indoor trainer as a tool for measuring yes do it that suggested way . Im just trying to do my two hours a day which i normally do daily in one ride . Two hours on a spinning bike is real shitty . Ive managed to keep my legs going , heart rate down and lungs pumping . It also takes away the hum drum boredom of only being able to work on my house and garden . Im hoping that when i get on my bike and do a 80km off road ride that im in the same condition as before lock down . Stay strong bikies and stay home lets come out on top .

I did take the advice and toned it down today riding to a "The Police " concert . No sprinting or high intensity burns . . Yes i agree  im not into ballad kind of music . 

You usually do 1 x 60/80km ride outside on a MTB

Now you are doing something completely different. Body will take some time to adapt as theis completely different.

If you mimicked your outside ride (which is probably more endurance based) on the indoor trainer your legs wouldn't have noticed the big difference.

Thanks a useful read and i must agree that if it were a normal situation of being able to train on road and then use your indoor trainer as a tool for measuring yes do it that suggested  way . Im just trying to do my two hours a day which i normally do daily in one ride . Two hours on a spinning bike is real shitty  . Ive managed to keep my legs going , heart rate down and lungs pumping . It also takes away the hum drum boredom of only being able to work on my house and garden . Im hoping that when i get on my bike and do a 80km off road ride that im in the same condition as before lock down . Stay strong bikies and stay home lets come out on top . 

We had a long winter in the Cape last year ... well that and working on some weekends meant I was missing out on way to many rides.

I eventually got an IDT, and got onto Zwift.

Just tried to keep the kilos ticking over ...

Start of summer I was doing PB rides on all my old trails !!

These IDT's are excellent !!!  Boring, YES, but good for staying in shape.

:offtopic: Ive decided after watching numerous rock bands that i want to be the drummer . To start the song i get to count down from 3 or knock my drum sticks together as a count down . I have a lot more toys around me and and when doing a solo if i go off key its not really noticed :oops: . I also get to bang the the bass drum with my foot pedal so keeps legs active . Im also seated the whole time so i would   put a good padded saddle on my drummers chair which is spring loaded like a dual sus mtb . Then at the end of the song i also get sound the end by bashing the cymbals stack . By the way my wife said my singing sucks   :clap:

Just ran my 250th km on the treadmill today since lockdown. Really getting over it now, but at least its 90min a day to keep my head busy.

Im getting to the point where Im really trying hard to convince myself that fitness and healthy living is totally overrated.

Something for the Alternative Rock crowd... Got me through the worst of my Ramp Test yesterday, the beat synced with my cadence perfectly.

ROAD TO REVOLUTION is on par with their Live In Texas album.

I decided to use my garmin with the HRM while spinning .I work on a 153 max . My resting HR is 43 and normal 55 . Im spinning at 90/100 rpm and see my HR is between 95 and 100 so one revolution per heart beat . When i speed up to sprint i get to a max of 125/130 which again is one revolution per heart beat . If i push that last 10 to 15 seconds which is about the last 200/250 metesr of a race i only reach 140 . My question is can i push harder for longer and will it be beneficial . I ask all these questions because  i dont have all these modern pieces of equipment that help with training and letting one know when to rest and for how long . Im old school and if asked by youngsters  how i train i tell them "Flat out " . 

Google TSS HR...training stress score for heart rate. A means of comparing training times at differing intensities (HR zones).

I decided to use my garmin with the HRM while spinning .I work on a 153 max . My resting HR is 43 and normal 55 . Im spinning at 90/100 rpm and see my HR is between 95 and 100 so one revolution per heart beat . When i speed up to sprint i get to a max of 125/130 which again is one revolution per heart beat . If i push that last 10 to 15 seconds which is about the last 200/250 metesr of a race i only reach 140 . My question is can i push harder for longer and will it be beneficial . I ask all these questions because i dont have all these modern pieces of equipment that help with training and letting one know when to rest and for how long . Im old school and if asked by youngsters how i train i tell them "Flat out " .

Edited by Fat Boab