Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Sorry, read your request as, “can someone send the link, not this link”. [emoji4]

Replying in a rush.

It was the thought of riding outside again mate ????

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on my FaceBook wall - I do agree with most of the content - wish it could be 30km and up to 3 hours (not that I ride often more than 2 hours away)

"FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Pedal Power Association, South Africa’s leading cycling organisation supports Government’s call to South Africans to adhere to strict regulations as we head for a level 4 lockdown phase, effective 01 May 2020. “President Ramaphosa pointed out that exercise under strict public health conditions will be allowed and it is for that reason, we have submitted a proposal to the President to allow cycling under strict lockdown conditions,” explains Rens Rezelman, chairman of the PPA.
“For cyclists, these current times are exceptionally frustrating and like the rest of the population, there are many who are extremely worried and justifiably so, about how their jobs and personal income are going to be affected by COVID-19. Despite our personal and varying opinions on the matter, South Africa has to abide by strict lock-down measures and will have to do so for quite some time in the future. The majority of the cycling community has heeded this call to be compliant and for that, they need to be commended,” Rezelman said.
“Based on international practice of regulating cycling in a COVID-19 environment (Australia; New Zealand; and the United Kingdom as points of reference), the PPA believes that limited and regulated cycling activity in these trying times has numerous benefits that outweigh the possible risks associated with the activity. Like most activities in this time, the PPA recognises that the discipline to adhere to these rules are often self-regulated and expect that the cycling community would behave as a microcosm of the larger South African community in this regard,” said Rezelman.
Rezelman believes that the majority of cyclists will comply with the following suggestions made by the PPA :
1. Daily exercise is proven to reduce stress and boost your immune system. After weeks of lockdown (and under stressful economic conditions) many South Africans would benefit from being able to cycle. Your medical experts would be able to verify this statement.
2. We propose that cyclists may not cycle in groups of more than 2 people (and both cyclists need to reside at the same dwelling);
3. Cyclists may not cycle for more than 2 hours;
4. Cyclists may not cycle further than 20km from their place of residence; and
5. Cyclists may only cycle once a day if doing so recreationally.
According to Rezelman all other safety aspects which is advocated through its safe cycling campaign, such as the wearing of helmets; rear lights; visibility, not riding solo for crime related reasons, adhering to the rules of road as well as social distancing which has now become the norm, would obviously apply as the PPA wants to be part of the solution not the problem.
From a commuter perspective, the PPA believes that by using a bicycle as a mode of transport as opposed to crowded public transport options, the spread of COVID-19 can further be reduced. “The PPA would like to encourage those who have bicycles to use them instead of public transport in this time. We would also like to ask those who have old bicycles to donate them to people who could really use them to be economically mobile in these times,” Rezelman said.
“Cycling is a healthy past-time and it's proven beyond doubt that regular exercise helps improve the immune system and that's all we really have right now to combat this virus. We all need to stand together to get through the damage that this virus is causing in the World and in South Africa,” Rezelman explained.
According to Rezelman, South Africans need to accept the realities of the current situation, abide by the rules which are in place to save their lives and live in the hope that this COVID-19 virus too, will pass."

With various opinions on what is considered "illegal" in terms of current outdoor cycling activities, ranging from people feeling it is OK to still ride your bike alone out in the sticks (as long as you don't post publicly about it on Strava) to others feeling that it is not in the spirit of the law cycling in your own backyard during lockdown, what do you all think about local pros/celebrities still currently riding on private land and posting it on social media? And with "private land" I am not referring to a backyard, but rather to privately-owned MTB trails. And it weren't throwback posts either.

I am not going to post names as this is not a blaming exercise, but rather a question about opinion. As an essential worker still going to work and being fortunate enough to commute on a bike for this reason (no, I do not own a car), I have been shouted at, stopped by law enforcement, objects thrown at me and this morning purposefully pushed off the road by a motorist for having the "entitlement" of being on a bicycle during lockdown. Even though I'm obviously dressed for work and not "out for a ride".

I personally feel like I am on the receiving end of a virtual middle-finger salute from these pros still riding and boasting on social media whilst I am risking my and my family's health by having to do the type of work I do and now also risking my safety cycling to and from work.

Am I entitled? Or just too over-sensitive and need to HTFU about the life being generally unfair? Or do I have a point?

All opinions welcome - knowing the Hub I'll probably need to invest in flame-retardant apparel :ph34r:  

I just looked at my stats for the first time since lockdown, as I do not have the luxury of a IDT or even a dumb trainer. I have so far done laps of my garden a few times, but that's about it.

So what did I notice?

I am still ahead of the curve compared to my effort for 2019 to date, so at least there's that.

But then my fitness curve looks like the global corona infection curve in reverse...

The road back to fitness is going to be long.

Seriously dude you need to get a life.

Dear sir.  Consider the following scene, as played out in an ER during THIS week :

Pasient: "Dr I think I may have Covid Symptoms ..."

Dr goes through the standard questions to determine possible sources of infection, and more importantly, who was in contact with that may be in danger IF he tests positive .... Let's just say this person was "evasive" in his answers ....  He eventually "admits", that he could have been exposed when they visited friends during the lock-down period, this was his ONLY source of exposure during the lock down period.

Now if people could just grasp the concept of following the "rules of the day" .....  And YES, from 1 May a new set of "rules of the day" applies .... depending on the spread of the virus we can go up OR down the list of Alert levels.

So NO dear Sir, the previous poster does not need to "get a life" .... it is that small percentage that think they are above the law that needs to get a grip on reality !!  

Am I entitled? Or just too over-sensitive and need to HTFU about the life being generally unfair? Or do I have a point?

I know exactly who you are talking about. As far as I can tell they are doing nothing wrong. They are locked down just like the rest of us. It just happens that their back yard has some of the best riding in SA. Good for them.

As far as you getting pushed off your bike and things thrown at you that's terrible. Really. Some people are just scum.

With various opinions on what is considered "illegal" in terms of current outdoor cycling activities, ranging from people feeling it is OK to still ride your bike alone out in the sticks (as long as you don't post publicly about it on Strava) to others feeling that it is not in the spirit of the law cycling in your own backyard during lockdown, what do you all think about local pros/celebrities still currently riding on private land and posting it on social media? And with "private land" I am not referring to a backyard, but rather to privately-owned MTB trails. And it weren't throwback posts either.

I am not going to post names as this is not a blaming exercise, but rather a question about opinion. As an essential worker still going to work and being fortunate enough to commute on a bike for this reason (no, I do not own a car), I have been shouted at, stopped by law enforcement, objects thrown at me and this morning purposefully pushed off the road by a motorist for having the "entitlement" of being on a bicycle during lockdown. Even though I'm obviously dressed for work and not "out for a ride".

I personally feel like I am on the receiving end of a virtual middle-finger salute from these pros still riding and boasting on social media whilst I am risking my and my family's health by having to do the type of work I do and now also risking my safety cycling to and from work.

All opinions welcome - knowing the Hub I'll probably need to invest in flame-retardant apparel :ph34r:  

I've ridden my bike to the shops, through a roadblock and they were all lekker. 

My opinion (which may not have come across in that long post on the previous page):

1 - you're perfectly fine riding to work / shops / pharmacy etc. No issue. Those people claiming otherwise need a check in their logic. 

2 - you're perfectly fine riding in your back yard / personal forest / farm. Just don't take unnecessary risks, ride well within yourself. 

3 - that's it. 

:lol:

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

As an essential worker still going to work ....

YOU are the one(s) that needs to be saluted and respected !  And I am including all essential services workers in that sentence.

A leading food retailer had to create temporary housing on site for many of their workers.  Just too unsafe to commute now ....

A friend got the news this morning that her fellow staff is covid clear .... after a week of stress ... one of their staff on another shift is covid positive ....

So YES, I have the utmost respect for those going and keeping the wheels of industry turning at this time, and putting their and their families lives at risk during this time.

as for cycling ....

I WAS of the opinion that "cycling in your back yard" is fine.  And good for you if you have a big back yard .... Then I read V12man's post about 3 spinal injuries during lockdown at his hospital, due to cycling at home ....  GRANTED, he did comment on the difference between "cycling" and those now trying to do stunts above their skill level.

And still I am HOPING that we may start walking and cycling from 1 May .... 

I've ridden my bike to the shops, through a roadblock and they were all lekker. 

My opinion (which may not have come across in that long post on the previous page):

1 - you're perfectly fine riding to work / shops / pharmacy etc. No issue. Those people claiming otherwise need a check in their logic. 

2 - you're perfectly fine riding in your back yard / personal forest / farm. Just don't take unnecessary risks, ride well within yourself. 

3 - that's it. 

:lol:

As much as I agree with you ... the danger is that as soon as cycling is permitted we are going to see groups riding together ..... and and and ....

fully agree on the merits of solo rides !!!  and what perfect weather we have right now to cycle around the block .... but I will wait until it is allowed.

HOPE those small groups dont spoil it for the rest of us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what you're talking about with the celebs, so I'll leave that.

All I can say on the other drivers and public giving you a hard time is to put yourself in their shoes. We're all tired and angry about not being able to get out. Does everyone you pass know you're rightfully commuting - I highly doubt it. Do they know you don't own a car - No. Are they angry assuming you're out for a ride - Of course, and they should be, it is illegal.

Incorrect assumptions across the board yes, but can you really blame them?

I don't know what you're talking about with the celebs, so I'll leave that.

All I can say on the other drivers and public giving you a hard time is to put yourself in their shoes. We're all tired and angry about not being able to get out. Does everyone you pass know you're rightfully commuting - I highly doubt it. Do they know you don't own a car - No. Are they angry assuming you're out for a ride - Of course, and they should be, it is illegal.

Incorrect assumptions across the board yes, but can you really blame them?

If they attack people, yes. 

If they attack people, yes. 

Apologies SuperDooper, my skim reading let me down. 

Driving you off the road and throwing stuff is inexcusable.

As for the cops and generally humane moaning - as before.

I am not blasting you, but I feel I need to obviously point out that since when was life supposed to be fair?

If life was fair, we would all live in shacks scrounging for food every day, and queue to share a pit toilet and hope our wives and daughters don't get raped while we leave them alone to go find some sustenance to share.

I am not blasting you, but I feel I need to obviously point out that since when was life supposed to be fair?

If life was fair, we would all live in shacks scrounging for food every day, and queue to share a pit toilet and hope our wives and daughters don't get raped while we leave them alone to go find some sustenance to share.

I totally agree with you, and I generally accept that life was never designed with fairness in mind. I am interested in people's opinions on this and wanted to highlight some potential points of view.

We all experience life from different angles, as following heated discussions on various different topics on the Hub has taught me. I am curious though whether 4+ weeks of lockdown has changed the way people think.