Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Yoh, welcome back Rouxtjie. 

its been a while

5km radius from your house. Is the government rule. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont want to sound like an idiot here...what are the exact rules regarding riding...something like 10km radius from your house or something like that?

Howzit Rouxtjie, where you been bru ?

Have the rules regarding riding/running in groups changed?

one would think so when looking at whats happening on the streets.

I cycled in to work this morning, it was crazy. Social distancing what ???

And I cant just blame the cyclists, the "runners" in bedfordview were probably worse.

one would think so when looking at whats happening on the streets.

I cycled in to work this morning, it was crazy. Social distancing what ???

And I cant just blame the cyclists, the "runners" in bedfordview were probably worse.

Exactly, I was also riding in Befdord this morning, rode passed one group of 20+ cyclists, and at least 10 groups of between 5-10 cyclists, same story with runners, flippen ridiculous.... Edited by Chadvdw67

Exactly, I was also riding in Befdord this morning, rode passed one group of 20+ cyclists, and at least 10 groups of between 5-10 cyclists, same story with runners, flippen ridiculous....

the runners down van buuren this morning were pulling a cyclist move and taking up the entire road, flipping crazy.

Have the rules regarding riding/running in groups changed?

I think I might have missed a few updates in the regulations .... could have sword there was a time and distance limitation, a requirement for wearing masks outside and keeping a social distance.  And I could have sworn I read something about "social distancing" and no groups .....

But I clearly missed the updates ...

By 8:00 this morning the sun started showing itself in the Cape.  Initially you could see these were the regular athletes out and about.  At worst, they would run\ride without mask, BUT pull it up when another rider\runner came into view.

And then it all CHANGED .... by 8:30 the roads and pavements got FLOODED with walkers, runners and riders.  Most runners had their buffs around their neck, or simply had no mask.

And then my jaw dropped !!  Riding up Mountainview Road the locals were out walking in the many green-belt sections .... but they kept on stopping to meet up with friends along the way, step one - mask down, and then have a nice close huddle and a lekka chat before moving on to meet up with the next friend\neighbour a short distance later.  YES, it is nice to be part of such a community where their kids grew up together and they have shared a lifetime, and to be able to meet up on n stunning morning .... surely it CAN be done while maintaining a safe distance and while keeping those masks on your face.

And then I see this :

post-110956-0-68273000-1590220520_thumb.jpg

Tygerberg has gone from the lowest infection rate to the highest in the last three weeks..... and yet we keep on ignoring the most basic steps to keep our families safe.

So now I have to decide, do I want to ride in the dark of the morning, avoiding this mob behaviour, or stay on the indoor trainer ....

NOTE - I am long past worrying about the behaviour of others, as long as they only endanger themselves .... BUT, when some blithering idiot runs\rides past me huffing and puffing their droplets into my face it potentially endangers my health ....  

Not  just Bedfordview, it's everywhere. Cycled past a group of jogga pants soccer moms all having a chinwag with coffee in their hands and they were not unique. The masks/buffs were not even around the neck. Its not a sector of society but across the board. So the BH Karen's better get their camera's and note books out if the y want to make a difference  because you know, you are the chosen ones.

runners, cops, walkers, dogs, cats, Karakal, birds, cyclists: very little social distancing and very little masks.

the runners down van buuren this morning were pulling a cyclist move and taking up the entire road, flipping crazy.

Now imagine THREE mommies walking their THREE prams .... NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

And two runners on the other side of the road ....

I had to cross over to the other side of the road to get past this mobile road block, while  trying to keep some distance to the two innocent runners.

Thankfully no cars along this section at that time.

and your family's, and your collegues&families and and...

This morning I was near the beachfront on the only piece of hill where you can get a 1000m ascent in less that 16 hours, it was worse than any other day... I'm starting to really develop a hate for runners (even though I run myself) but now even the freakin cyclists stoped giving a **** about anything... no masks, massive groups, using all the road, and you have to somehow make your way between cyclists and walkers and runners, none wearing masks, you can't just go around them with a big gap, it's not possible anymore...

It feels that except for my family and the ciggies/liquor stores this lockdown is over in people's minds, I really hope I didn't endangered my family and my one workers family by training outside in this chaos, definitely going to stay out of the crowds from now on. Hopefully my little not so secret spot in sunningdale will remain relatively quiet... otherwise it's back to zwift and all the stuff I just bought to be able to cycle safely in the cold will be useless ????????

Edited by Jbr

I think I might have missed a few updates in the regulations .... could have sword there was a time and distance limitation, a requirement for wearing masks outside and keeping a social distance.  And I could have sworn I read something about "social distancing" and no groups .....

But I clearly missed the updates ...

By 8:00 this morning the sun started showing itself in the Cape.  Initially you could see these were the regular athletes out and about.  At worst, they would run\ride without mask, BUT pull it up when another rider\runner came into view.

And then it all CHANGED .... by 8:30 the roads and pavements got FLOODED with walkers, runners and riders.  Most runners had their buffs around their neck, or simply had no mask.

And then my jaw dropped !!  Riding up Mountainview Road the locals were out walking in the many green-belt sections .... but they kept on stopping to meet up with friends along the way, step one - mask down, and then have a nice close huddle and a lekka chat before moving on to meet up with the next friend\neighbour a short distance later.  YES, it is nice to be part of such a community where their kids grew up together and they have shared a lifetime, and to be able to meet up on n stunning morning .... surely it CAN be done while maintaining a safe distance and while keeping those masks on your face.

And then I see this :

attachicon.gifTygerberg.jpg

Tygerberg has gone from the lowest infection rate to the highest in the last three weeks..... and yet we keep on ignoring the most basic steps to keep our families safe.

So now I have to decide, do I want to ride in the dark of the morning, avoiding this mob behaviour, or stay on the indoor trainer ....

NOTE - I am long past worrying about the behaviour of others, as long as they only endanger themselves .... BUT, when some blithering idiot runs\rides past me huffing and puffing their droplets into my face it potentially endangers my health ....  

work the math. How far are those droplets going to travel as the athlete exhales. Its not a sneeze, so maybe 2m?

Condensation of the water vapor in their warm breath will cause the droplets to drop quickly. Its a very low risk mechanism of transmission. Worry more about PnP/Woolies/Spar/clothing stores/workplace

oh and as I get home I open strava and see that a "friend" went from Burgundy Estate (which seem to be a hotspot) to Noerdhoek this morning ????

work the math. How far are those droplets going to travel as the athlete exhales. Its not a sneeze, so maybe 2m?

Condensation of the water vapor in their warm breath will cause the droplets to drop quickly. Its a very low risk mechanism of transmission. Worry more about PnP/Woolies/Spar/clothing stores/workplace

Jip.... 2m seems to be norm for a "safe distance". (let's ignore for now the many articles speaking about much longer distances in slip streams ...)

Problem being that many runners run on the wrong side of the road, facing oncoming traffic - understandable.

Often cyclists have to pass these runners with a few cm between them .... 

I was slowing down, checking for cars from behind, going wide where possible.  Still way too many times where I was less than 1m from a runner ....

Nope, I dont like these odds ... all because another athlete is too damned self important to care about those around them ....

sadly this is not a fight that we can ever win .... so just safer for me to adjust my time and routes to try and avoid the idiotic masses .....