Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

But... there's a very good scientific reason to wear one that adequately reduces the speed & trajectory of exhalations, which in turn reduces the chance of spread. Doesn't remove it entirely, obviously, but it reduces it significantly if it's an adequate mask.

The key part is the "if" nobody is saying its useless, we're saying it's not nearly as useful as government is making it out to be.

Think about runners and riders, most of us are wearing buffs, if that's even 5% preventative I would be impressed.

A guy in the shop now was wearing what I use as shop town to wipe down my chain after a wash, that blue and white thin cloth that comes on those big rolls. I'm not sure which is worse that or a buff.

I also have a very nice mulit layer, quite thick mask that I will never wear again as it makes breathing quite laborious, every breath literally pulls it onto ur mouth and nose like a mini vacuum seal.

Now while that would be among the better of the not really good choices, I kinda like being able to breathe.

As humans we are going to wear the thing that is the least irritating, which is why an N95 would be good, it's designed to be minimal impactful on the ability to breathe while providing the maximum possible protection.

So sure, it is better than nothing, but only kinda.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But... there's a very good scientific reason to wear one that adequately reduces the speed & trajectory of exhalations, which in turn reduces the chance of spread. Doesn't remove it entirely, obviously, but it reduces it significantly if it's an adequate mask.

The way I have it:

If you are both naked and your mate pisses in your direction, you get wet.

If you are wearing Jeans, you still get wet, but less so.

If HE is wearing jeans, most of it stays with him and you stay dry...

Edited by eddy

The way I have it:

If you are wearing Jean's, you still get wet, but less so.

yep, there is a pic somewhere 

The way I have it:

If you are wearing Jean's, you still get wet, but less so.

Thats still doesnt explain the odd relationship you have with your mate.

Factually incorrect

What part ?

only N95 masks are useful and they're essentially health care workers only.

What happens when the mask you are wearing while exercising becomes saturated? Larger droplets are vented from the mask and your exhalation is propelling those droplets with more force as you force your breath out more.

So show me a scientific study, peer reviewed and accepted as good science that shows a mask to be effective when exercising.

if you can't you're just part of the popularist fear mongering crowd.

Washing hands - proven science behind that

Social distancing - proven science behind that

masks in confined spaces - proven science

masks while exercising.........no science. The Belgian study that attempted to put some modelling parameters around athletes exhalation is not a scientific study in viral transmission. It did a good job in illustrating possible trajectories for exhaled droplet but did not cover saturation of virus in those droplets nor did it determine what quantity needs to be exhaled and then inhaled by a passer by in order for that person to become infected.

You have a greater chance of infecting someone from the droplets spilling from your water bottle as you drink.

Peeps riding in groups are more at risk since they have a greater opportunity to breath in droplets from saturated masks or from an assymptomatic riders exhaled breath because they are together far longer than a two people passing each other for a moment

What part ?

only N95 masks are useful and they're essentially health care workers only.

What happens when the mask you are wearing while exercising becomes saturated? Larger droplets are vented from the mask and your exhalation is propelling those droplets with more force as you force your breath out more.

So show me a scientific study, peer reviewed and accepted as good science that shows a mask to be effective when exercising.

if you can't you're just part of the popularist fear mongering crowd.

Washing hands - proven science behind that

Social distancing - proven science behind that

masks in confined spaces - proven science

masks while exercising.........no science. The Belgian study that attempted to put some modelling parameters around athletes exhalation is not a scientific study in viral transmission. It did a good job in illustrating possible trajectories for exhaled droplet but did not cover saturation of virus in those droplets nor did it determine what quantity needs to be exhaled and then inhaled by a passer by in order for that person to become infected.

You have a greater chance of infecting someone from the droplets spilling from your water bottle as you drink.

Peeps riding in groups are more at risk since they have a greater opportunity to breath in droplets from saturated masks or from an assymptomatic riders exhaled breath because they are together far longer than a two people passing each other for a moment

I have come across more than 1 article recommending not wearing the mask while exercising as a few cases have happened where those exercising ended up with a collapsed lung or 2 as a result of the strain from attempting to breathe through the mask as well as the micro fibres that end up in your lungs.

Although I suspect in this cases they where wearing pretty thick masks and not silly buffs like many of us do.

I feel we might be losing sight of the big picture here: you can run/ride (excuse the pun), but you can't hide. By all means, try to not infect/transmit to others (isolate, mask), social distance and play your part in keeping the exponential growth of numbers to slow and keep the vulnerable safe® by staying away and ensuring their isolation. This means the health and medical sector can possibly cope better.
BUT, in the end, we are ALL at some point going to be infected by this virus (at minimum 70%). Fact. That's what a virus does. We can't see it and it spreads between us.
The only question that remains for all, is how will we individually react to this virus. 

I long made peace (on lockdown day) with the fact, that I will in all likelihood be infected at some stage. I don't want to and I am slightly concerned how my body will react. But, I am also a realist and will just have to see what happens. Luckily I am not really a high risk group factor, besides being a 50 year old male with blood clotting tendency (Factor V Leiden)....but c'est la vie. I wear my mask and shield and avoid the shopping malls, shop rarely and ride my mtb bike in the lonely veld, alone.
Still, life must go on now and we need to see how we get past this virus until (if) we get a vaccine next year. Unfortunately many more people are going to die, but we will need to move on as best we can.
Just my opinion....

Yoh, welcome back Rouxtjie.

its been a while

5km radius from your house. Is the government rule.

Thanks my bru...well Seattle is exactly 4.5 coincidence I think not

Social Distancing while exercising is close on impossible in some areas.
Fish Hoek to Lakeside is as busy as if you were to host CTCT, 2 Oceans and The Big Walk  all on the same day.
Hoards of people grouped together, so even if you were alone, you struggle to keep any distance