Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Also saw lots of groups yesterday on our ride from D'ville to Stellies... I always ride solo or with one or two friends, but mostly solo, so it's not a big change for me anyways. But seeing suddenly people who usually don't cycle go outside now of all times, I don't get it.

It's like now that they are told they should stay home they just do the opposite...

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also so lots of groups yesterday on our ride from D'ville to Stellies... I always ride solo or with one or two friends, but mostly solo, so it's not a big change for me anyways. But seeing suddenly people who usually don't cycle go outside now of all times, I don't get it.

It's like now that they are told they should stay home they just do the opposite...

Men in fact are just big children, our toys are more expensive and we pay for them ourselves, but we still kids and when u tell a kid to do something, they do the opposite.

Woman, I dunno what their reasoning is.

People really seem to not care, we suspended our group activities and all did solo rides this weekend, we all did solos, I even skipped my post ride coffee, well sort of I just had coffee at home instead.

I know it's not worse than the flu, but I also don't wanna get either, I don't wanna be stuck in bed for a week or longer feeling miserable and *** not being able to go out and ride.

I get it, some people need people, some even survive on external validation. Me, I been anti social for over 30 years, mountain biking actually made me more social, but I am quite happy to leave my house, enjoy the middle of nowhere and return to my house.

I cannot understand that this level of ill-understanding is still around?

The flu does not send 10% of victims to hospital with 5% needing ICU!

When the hospitals are full, which will be the case in 3 weeks' time, and if you belong to those 5% you will die. If you have a heart attack, you will also die. If you have critical trauma, guess: you will die. Time to wake up!

Read this. https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Stay at home. Or get out, but stay alone. 

I had to restrain myself from my weekend ride. Guys, this is serious. We're facing a massive epidemic with dire consequences for SA if we don't isolate. I know how tempting it is but let's be conscious and responsible about it. If we all want to ride in the future we have to be responsible now. Stop being in denial.

I had to restrain myself from my weekend ride. Guys, this is serious. We're facing a massive epidemic with dire consequences for SA if we don't isolate. I know how tempting it is but let's be conscious and responsible about it. If we all want to ride in the future we have to be responsible now. Stop being in denial.

serious question, and not having a go at you, I might not know something that you do, hence the question.

Other than the fact that if you crash you'll take up a valuable hospital bed, how is not riding alone helping ?

I do ride alone, but without stopping for coffee or anything. As long as you don't get close to anyone and don't touch anything else than your bike, there's no problem. The thing is, since many people weren't here when common sense was distributed, the rules will be drastic and nobody will be able to go out. That's what happened in France.

As long as people will keep on riding and groups, going to bootleggers for coffee and all, they'll keep putting people at risk, including themselves.

Edited by Jbr

For lockdown- one may ride around one's area? How can you affect anyone alone on your bike on a road or pavement? 

Business as usual.  I ride alone mostly and especially now but we will propably go into lockdown soon then I will not be able to train outside.

For lockdown- one may ride around one's area? How can you affect anyone alone on your bike on a road or pavement? 

Scubes ,

the thinking is that if you happen to crash , even alone , and need to be hospitalised , you may take up a bed that someone with corona virus could have used .

Not saying I agree , but I understand the thinking .

Well I’m sure that the risk of crashing if you ride sensibly is pretty slim and the risk of needing to go to a hospital is even slimmer.

Those can also be offset by the positive gains for mental health and fitness.

Then do we also stop changing lightbulbs and climbing ladders or doing DIY?

I think that a certain amount of responsible doing of things in isolation is fine even beneficial.

Well I’m sure that the risk of crashing if you ride sensibly is pretty slim and the risk of needing to go to a hospital is even slimmer.

Those can also be offset by the positive gains for mental health and fitness.

Then do we also stop changing lightbulbs and climbing ladders or doing DIY?

I think that a certain amount of responsible doing of things in isolation is fine even beneficial.

exactly my thinking

If we go total lockdown, I've got a list of projects around the house that need doing that I just dont normally get the time to do. Most of these will involve using power tools and getting into situations that have the potential to put me into hospital should precautions not be taken and things go wrong.

As for training if we go total lockdown, I have already decided that the mag trainer will get dusted off, I'll either find an app that will work with what I have or I'll find some cycling clips to watch and I'll make sure I still train as long as I'm still healthy.

I swear there  was a fun ride happening from Tokai to Newlands yesterday. Intended to get out early to apply social distancing but jeeeeppppppeeeeers where did all those dogs and mountain bikers come from? Is there a recession? Efingbikes everywhere. My pace was dictated by trying to stay far away from people, eventually i gave up and headed for coffee,.......nope Bootleggers Tokai, choka blok.

My ice cream joint, full! I just went home and had coffee and ice cream there.  My wife and her chums just arived back from the beach and I'm like :eek:  :cursing:  :excl:

Countries like Italy, France, Austria and some other are in full lockdown.  If you walk outside you are either on your way to a shop to buy food, on your way to work if you can't home office, or on your way to help someone who urgently needs help. Other than that you will get fined. I was expecting a similar announcement over the weekend but the President of Bavaria jumped the gun by enforcing movement restrictions on Friday already.  We are however still allowed to go out and practice sport but not in groups.  We can ride a bike but alone. A similar restriction is implemented for the rest of Germany from today on.

serious question, and not having a go at you, I might not know something that you do, hence the question.

Other than the fact that if you crash you'll take up a valuable hospital bed, how is not riding alone helping ?

Ouzo, I know that the risk in minimal if you ride alone and you are careful. But the risk is still there. Given the situation worldwide we in South Africa cannot afford to take unnecessary risks. The health system is lacking as it is right now plus the issues with load shedding plus the issues with water cuts which, in Fourways, we have at least once a week. Ok, I'm bringing unrelated issues to the discussion but at the end everything compounds to levels where it will be very difficult to health professionals to turn this crisis around.

In UK my stepson has  Corona  he has fever,BP up and resting heartrate.Slight cough.

Full lockdown if they find you outside you get arrested .You can only go to shop for food or those who can still go to the Office.

Wonder If Rampokker going that way tnght??

I swear there  was a fun ride happening from Tokai to Newlands yesterday. Intended to get out early to apply social distancing but jeeeeppppppeeeeers where did all those dogs and mountain bikers come from? Is there a recession? Efingbikes everywhere. My pace was dictated by trying to stay far away from people, eventually i gave up and headed for coffee,.......nope Bootleggers Tokai, choka blok.

My ice cream joint, full! I just went home and had coffee and ice cream there.  My wife and her chums just arived back from the beach and I'm like :eek:  :cursing:  :excl:

as I always say, 'they walk among us'. Seems like Diesel lives among them...  :ph34r:

Ouzo, I know that the risk in minimal if you ride alone and you are careful. But the risk is still there. Given the situation worldwide we in South Africa cannot afford to take unnecessary risks. The health system is lacking as it is right now plus the issues with load shedding plus the issues with water cuts which, in Fourways, we have at least once a week. Ok, I'm bringing unrelated issues to the discussion but at the end everything compounds to levels where it will be very difficult to health professionals to turn this crisis around.

I'm not sure I follow the bold bit.

If I'm riding alone, where is the risk ? Or are you referring to injury risk ?