Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode with a mate, would have been more but they slept in. Lots of runners out and Bootleggers in Kalk Bay was the emptiest I've seen it in a while. Still quite a few cyclists there though.

We were more than expected but about the same as normal rides. Half the guys stopped for coffee, and we were sitting at every second chair plus we used our own soap, sanitiser and paper towel.

Club ride this morning, the fast group, we are normally around 10, only 3 today. B group was about 20 and C group around 10. Still a few groups riding in the cradle. Noticed no Cycle Lab groups which are normally the biggest. Quite a few cycling in 2 and 3's and many more runners than usual.

Not to derail, anyone ride with RoadCover this morning? One of their guys dropped a Garmin, hope he got it.

Cradle felt busy, also a lot of triathletes.

Not to derail, anyone ride with RoadCover this morning? One of their guys dropped a Garmin, hope he got it.

Nope. We’re out south. Edited by Frosty

I'm suffering first world problems....

Perfprostudio

rouvy

Tacx Trainer App

or stick with Zwift.... (least prefered option)

Kinomap?

Trainer road?

decisions decisions. So much to test so little time

My choice. 

Make of mine did some "invitational long distance triathlon" out there. Don't know what that was about. 

Its been said before, "We are our own worst enemies".

It is clear from the previous posts that many of these routes are now becoming unofficial places of mass gatherings ..... which is a pity as I am sure none of the small groups intended for this to happen.

If we are unable to self isolate, let's not be surprized when the rules are stricter next week ....

Well worth checking here - https://wcpsc.co.za/corona-virus-advisory-v1/

Corona Virus advisory (V1)

Please note this advisory is for all persons who participate in sport in the Western Cape whether, Provincial District, Club or Athletes.

This advisory has been drafted after consultation with partners and government authorities following the presidential request for support and social distancing and could change in the near future.

In order to combat the spread of the Corona Virus and the current national disaster we request that all members in the sport fraternity begin the immediate practice of social distancing.

Initial Action:

• All sport in the Western Cape should be postponed or cancelled with immediate effect for the next (14) fourteen days.
  • This includes clubs, district, provincial and national activity and includes junior and senior sports activities.
  • This includes amateur and professional sport gatherings.
  • This includes formal and informal sport gatherings
  • This includes private and institutional sport gatherings.
  • This includes practice and competition.

Although the first action is a suspension of (14) fourteen days, this could change or be extended on further notice.

We will continue to engage with our partners and the health authorities so that we in turn may advise you with accurate and timeous information so that you are in a position to make informed decisions.

If we are unable to self isolate, let's not be surprized when the rules are stricter next week ....

Edited by ChrisF

French police are using Strava to issue fines to people posting rides since cycling has been banned in France. It's a matter of time before this becomes a trend world-wide, including here.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/french-police-using-strava-to-catch-and-fine-cyclists-for-training-outdoors/

That's just ridiculous. I will continue training and upload everything on Strava when this thing blows over.

I have never seen so many people on the blouberg beachfront this morning, the entire world decided to go for a walk / run / ride... The cycle path was over crowded, loads of MTB groups (some less disciplined than others) and runners... That's it, I'm going back to zwift, it's too dangerous to ride outside now, at least on weekends... 

Edited by Jbr

We have a local running and cycling time trail series which started on 21.3 and runs 24/7 until October moving to different locations every 3 weeks. It uses a self service time stamp machine with a card which you record your details on and drop in a box attached to the timing machine, or you can also use an app on your phone which eliminates the time stamp machine.

Last week they announced it would not take place, yesterday they updated and said it will now go ahead provided participants use only the app and don’t take part in groups.

Looks like a full lockdown in switz might not materialize

Mugg 'n Bean Stellenbosch was awash with riders yesterday. Typical groups entering Stellenbosch were 8-10 apiece.

People really seem to not care, we suspended our group activities and all did solo rides this weekend, we all did solos, I even skipped my post ride coffee, well sort of I just had coffee at home instead.

I know it's not worse than the flu, but I also don't wanna get either, I don't wanna be stuck in bed for a week or longer feeling miserable and *** not being able to go out and ride.

I get it, some people need people, some even survive on external validation. Me, I been anti social for over 30 years, mountain biking actually made me more social, but I am quite happy to leave my house, enjoy the middle of nowhere and return to my house.