Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Business as usual for me with running. I'm pretty rural so hardly come across anyone. We run in groups of no more than 2... One running mate is forbidden to run with any of us under strict instructions from his wife

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Started riding alone.

I love riding with my group that can be anything from 2 - 40 riders strong.

But given that I have a one year old at home I am not willing to risk others concept of good hygiene and social distance. 

Saw the most runners on my morning run in a very long time. Its as if everyone just wants to get out. Plenty of big cycling groups as well. Tsk tsk.

Saw the most runners on my morning run in a very long time. Its as if everyone just wants to get out. Plenty of big cycling groups as well. Tsk tsk.

I noticed the same thing yesterday (Friday) here in Switzerland, I think it’s because people are aware there is a chance of a complete regulated lockdown and are trying to make the most of going outdoors while they still can.

It indicates why enforced lockdown regulations are required, we really are our own worst enemy.

Will still be riding as I mostly ride alone. On leave for 2 weeks. Was put in before all this Covid19.

Live on a small holding with few people. Nearest neighbor half a km away.

May do some long gravel rides that I don't normally get time for.

A person has to stay active and mentally sane. Riding helps with that.

decided to start commuting again on a saturday whilst I still can.

With the sun rising later in the morning and me not having lights, riding before work is no longer an option, so riding to work will do.

Want to get as much outdoor riding in as possible before we go full lockdown

How was the ride? You try some of the more rural roads?

It was actually much better than expected. I went out on some of the local rural roads and there was some traffic but not a lot and I didn’t feel threatened at any point. People seemed patient.

I figure that things are different at the moment, but I don’t know if there’s more traffic because people are bored and out for a drive or less because they’re mostly at home.

Anyway, it was a positive experience, except for my ass that’s not used to being on the saddle for that long.

I noticed the same thing yesterday (Friday) here in Switzerland, I think it’s because people are aware there is a chance of a complete regulated lockdown and are trying to make the most of going outdoors while they still can.

It indicates why enforced lockdown regulations are required, we really are our own worst enemy.

I see France has banned all recreational riding, only walking and running allowed. Even put limits on distance 2km for kids and less for adults. Drastic measures to curb spread.

I see France has banned all recreational riding, only walking and running allowed. Even put limits on distance 2km for kids and less for adults. Drastic measures to curb spread.

Interesting, maybe to try reduce accidents taking up valuable hospital beds.

Running and walking are less likely to require emergency medical services.

Luckily we have our own treadmill and I have rouvy to cycle with, although I hate running on the treadmill. As long as Netflix servers don’t collapse.... btw I see Netflix Europe are reducing the quality of their content by 25% to ease the burden on internet service provider servers.

Was chatting to my colleague in Lyon yesterday... They have to get a signed permission slip from the police to walk their dog, go to the shop or exercise.... Every single time they want to do it.... So there's that. If they caught without the slip...€135 fine

Club ride this morning, the fast group, we are normally around 10, only 3 today. B group was about 20 and C group around 10. Still a few groups riding in the cradle. Noticed no Cycle Lab groups which are normally the biggest. Quite a few cycling in 2 and 3's and many more runners than usual.

Same here so since midnight we are in lockdown.  However we are allowed out to do sport but alone.  We are not allowed to move outside the house in groups (except with family that live under your same roof).

Club ride this morning, the fast group, we are normally around 10, only 3 today. B group was about 20 and C group around 10. Still a few groups riding in the cradle. Noticed no Cycle Lab groups which are normally the biggest. Quite a few cycling in 2 and 3's and many more runners than usual.

We were more than expected but about the same as normal rides. Half the guys stopped for coffee, and we were sitting at every second chair plus we used our own soap, sanitiser and paper towel.