Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Servicing one of these at the dealer gets radically expensive.  I was treated so poorly in PE that I decided not to buy the V60 that I desperately wanted when it came out.

I had a S40 T5 Sedan in the UK. Picked it up dirt cheap (from work) and used it as a track day car. thing flippen ate CV joints, lower control arm link pins and tyres!! Way too much power through the front wheels for the chassis.

I used  Diesel Golf for getting around. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE.

Don't strava that whatever you do!!!!

hahaha I haven't been strava-ing or garmining since the lockdown started, 'cos my flippin sensors aren't working. 

As for the whats, was just trying to inject a bit of humour... :P

I'm on the 2nd week of the 7 weeks to 100 pushups challenge, too. It's tough, but lekker. 

hahaha I haven't been strava-ing or garmining since the lockdown started, 'cos my flippin sensors aren't working. 

Run the HRM and record that sht. Figure out from your old road rides what 100 calories is worth in distance and do that. Dem numbers.

Run the HRM and record that sht. Figure out from your old road rides what 100 calories is worth in distance and do that. Dem numbers.

HRM isn't sending data either. Tried with both my edge 25 and my fenix 3. 

Mine too. It's coz one can't get out and do those long multi hour rides. Those are the ones that give you a nice big fat TSS score. I haven't tried to do a big indoors ride. I Think the best I've managed is 1.48. Certainly nothing over 2 hours.

Yeah me too.

Was looking at the numbers last night, Strava says steady decline in fitness, ok let’s try intervals.icu, same thing, let’s try training peaks, damn same thing.

Yet I’m riding 4-5 times a week instead of the 1-2 I usually do. Will probably clock 500km this months instead of my usual 200-300.

But I’m not feeling very energetic on the trainer anymore, so I’ve decided to take an extra rest day to see if that helps.

Yeah me too.

Was looking at the numbers last night, Strava says steady decline in fitness, ok let’s try intervals.icu, same thing, let’s try training peaks, damn same thing.

Yet I’m riding 4-5 times a week instead of the 1-2 I usually do. Will probably clock 500km this months instead of my usual 200-300.

But I’m not feeling very energetic on the trainer anymore, so I’ve decided to take an extra rest day to see if that helps.

dude, this may sound strange but don't discount the psychological effects the lockdown may be having on you, and that definitely affects the training regimen. 

My FTP also up by about 15 watts so I'm now at 3.3 watts per kg. CTL is flatlined but that's cos I have done a few 3 hour rides and a good number of 2 hour rides.

I think it's the intensity of the races on zwift that's doing it for me. At least twice a week riding as fast as I can until I pop which i hardly ever do on the road.

So glad I got this wahoo toy a week before lockdown. It's saved me in this period and added a whole dimension to my training.

Mine too. It's coz one can't get out and do those long multi hour rides. Those are the ones that give you a nice big fat TSS score. I haven't tried to do a big indoors ride. I Think the best I've managed is 1.48. Certainly nothing over 2 hours.

You need better chamois cream....

I think the bottom line is unless you are putting in BIG miles on the IDT you are at best holding station. Which is fine. Lots of okes are doing fokkol (which is also fine btw) I saw a youtube a few weeks before the lockdown by some coach and he reckoned your fitness loss is very fast at first. Like 20% in the first 4 weeks of not training but thereafter the losses slow down considerably. I can't remember the actual percentage.

My other half has decided that she's not going to ride on an IDT or run 10km in her garden. For her the fitness is a by product of being outdoors. I'm sure many feel that way and that's perfectly fine in my books.

Before the lockdown I was trying to train for Sani and all of the numbers showed that my fitness gains were made on the weekend with my longer rides. The stuff during the week would just keep me simmering and then on the weekend I'd make a small gain.

*Disclaimer. I'm not claiming to know anything about fitness or being fit. I'm just sharing my experience.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

My neighbour just got a R500 fine for working in his front garden (not fenced in). Just as well they didn't come yesterday when my wife was running in the front yard.

that sounds like the police overeaching with their authority. Absolute BS.

My FTP also up by about 15 watts so I'm now at 3.3 watts per kg. CTL is flatlined but that's cos I have done a few 3 hour rides and a good number of 2 hour rides.

I think it's the intensity of the races on zwift that's doing it for me. At least twice a week riding as fast as I can until I pop which i hardly ever do on the road.

So glad I got this wahoo toy a week before lockdown. It's saved me in this period and added a whole dimension to my training.

I missed the last Wahoo smart trainer at my local dealer by 5 minutes and i am still cursing myself for being so slow. The non smart trainer is soul destroying.

Nice fat 20-25% price increase on the new wahoo trainers  that will be available next month....... 

I've done a few... Did a hundy yesterday with the 3R group. It's pretty cool doing it with a well paced group. That was 2.5hours and really worth it.

Otherwise challenge yourself and do an Uber pretzel!!

I've done a few... Did a hundy yesterday with the 3R group. It's pretty cool doing it with a well paced group. That was 2.5hours and really worth it.

Otherwise challenge yourself and do an Uber pretzel!!

I think the bottom line is unless you are putting in BIG miles on the IDT you are at best holding station. Which is fine. Lots of okes are doing fokkol (which is also fine btw) I saw a youtube a few weeks before the lockdown by some coach and he reckoned your fitness loss is very fast at first. Like 20% in the first 4 weeks of not training but thereafter the losses slow down considerably. I can't remember the actual percentage.

My other half has decided that she's not going to ride on an IDT or run 10km in her garden. For her the fitness is a by product of being outdoors. I'm sure many feel that way and that's perfectly fine in my books.

Before the lockdown I was trying to train for Sani and all of the numbers showed that my fitness gains were made on the weekend with my longer rides. The stuff during the week would just keep me simmering and then on the weekend I'd make a small gain.

*Disclaimer. I'm not claiming to know anything about fitness or being fit. I'm just sharing my experience.

I get what you're saying, if I look at the historical graph my fitness does a sawtooth effect, drops during the week and then big jump on the weekend. 

If I look at the graph for this lockdown period its only a very gradual decline.

My goal for this period though was to get the VO2 max up, I think it was working based on a few HIIT sessions up until early last week, but I just haven't been able to push myself since to test.

But as mentioned in a previous post, it could be a mental thing too, a few things have hit me in the last week or 2 that have changed my mood slightly for the worse