Lock-down Chamois Cream

seahorse

Yeah it's a bit silly to decide who needs cream for how long and when... Personally, I weight 125 kgs, and any time on the bike longer than 30 mins dictates the need for chamois cream. Yes I use high quality bibs. Yes I have my bike fitted to me. Yes I have a saddle that fits and is wide enough for my sitbones. I still need at least a light layer to prevent friction.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bennets baby bum cream is amazing... It is hard to wash out on the first try, it's super oily... Which is great for the ride, your Mrs might be annoyed, however. If its soft enough for a baby's ass, it should be fine on yours. I've been using it for about two years without hassle.

I used Bennetts for a bit, found it worked but very thick and as you say a mission to get out of the bibs. I reckon sudocreme would be better to get out, but not sure how well it will work, and is more expensive. I'll probably give the biogen one a go if I run out and don't find a suitable substitute at home (we have a few different baby bum creams lying around).

https://www.dischem.co.za/biogen-shammy-cream-200g

How long are your rides typically? 

Try bensons bum cream great stuff anything that works for infant rash creams

When in need and I’m out of the proper stuff I’ve had good success with plain old Zambuk.

In fact used to always ride with a small tub. Could use it for lip-ice as well. Just no double dipping ;-)

Edited by WrightJnr

Is which section would I find it 

Usually near all the other Biogen products with energy supplements and sports drinks 

When in need and I’m out of the proper stuff I’ve had good success with plain old Zambuk.

In fact used to always ride with a small tub. Could use it for lip-ice as well. Just no double dipping ;-)

When I miss that distinctive Assos spearmint tingle, I just use a little Vics Vapo rub.

When I miss that distinctive Assos spearmint tingle, I just use a little Vics Vapo rub.

Don’t be soft. Go straight to the DeepHeat. You’ll tingle plenty!

It is also a case of conditioning.

There are likely guys on this thread who put on bib shorts and chamois cream for a 30 min session on the trainer or for a 20km bomb along the Spruit.

There are also others who will only turn to bib shorts for anything over 90mins on the trainer or if it is gonna be 50km+ on the bike. The rest of the time normal running shorts work fine.

But you have got to build to that slowly over time.

100% endorse this.

• 2 years later...

Thread revival ....

Spent two long days in the saddle ... forgot to use shammy cream today..🙈

Let's just say the underwear line is sensitive. (No, I did not wear anything under the shammy)

Any advise to spead up the recovery ?

Edited by ChrisF

Blue Steel Chafe Recovery cream.

Brings new definition to ring sting but it works.

PS: I see its no longer on the market but I've nicked this from my wife's vanity case and it also works

https://clicks.co.za/eucerin_aquaphor-soothing-skin-balm-110ml/p/311937?gclid=Cj0KCQiAveebBhD_ARIsAFaAvrEXn2yY8YavtYsaJh2mQIzShf2n_7x9pG0jdXV3CGffvrHElXkoxj8aAg7nEALw_wcB

Edited by DieselnDust