Chris Froome in discussions over a mid-season transfer?

Inhlanzi

Out of interest, has a team ever contended a GT with the past 3 winners in the same team?

doubt it.

since no one has ever won consecutively with 3 different winners

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few good riders out of contract this year that could build nicely around Froome. Let's if see ISUN and MR Adams open up their wallets.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/10-transfer-targets-to-help-chris-froome-win-the-2021-tour-de-france/

Maybe the Porte as GC rider experiment will come to an end now and he can hook back up with Froome. TBH though I can't see Froome winning the Tour again. 

Can't fault the logic.

I suspect Froome, if selected, will go into the race looking to stamp authority on the team in week 1.

Stage 2 already hits the mountains so will be interesting to see how the team dynamics plays out.

Might just be easier if Froome has no form to leave him at home or if he has form to leave him at home and take the PR backlash

IF, IF, IF he can stay on his bike...

Will the team give him a last hoorah, or has the relationship gone sour? Chris is known for his gentlemanly manners, but who knows what has gone on.

I doubt it, only if he is the last of the 3 leaders standing. I would expect the Froome camp to feel a bit sour while Ineos will simply tow the sponsors line and look after their interests. Publicly all will be professional and happy, however I would not be surprised if there are sour grapes and scowls behind close doors.

Quite a few good riders out of contract this year that could build nicely around Froome. Let's if see ISUN and MR Adams open up their wallets.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/10-transfer-targets-to-help-chris-froome-win-the-2021-tour-de-france/

Maybe the Porte as GC rider experiment will come to an end now and he can hook back up with Froome. TBH though I can't see Froome winning the Tour again. 

Im incredibly fond of Polanc - it would cut me up somewhat if he left the team. He is an incredible bike rider and human being. 

All seems like madness - Froomey is a fighter and I won't count him out but if it was my money and I wanted his name, it would be a performance based contract or a 3 year deal but only enforceable after year 1 based on targets.  I wonder how many teams would have signed him at half the price?

Seems a monster gamble to build a team around a guy who is that age never mind that he's on the comeback trail.

Then to suggest he and Porte get the band back together, crazy talk

Maybe they should build the dream team, Froome, Porte, Nibs, Valverde and bring in Cav for the sprints

All seems like madness - Froomey is a fighter and I won't count him out but if it was my money and I wanted his name, it would be a performance based contract or a 3 year deal but only enforceable after year 1 based on targets.  I wonder how many teams would have signed him at half the price?

Seems a monster gamble to build a team around a guy who is that age never mind that he's on the comeback trail.

Then to suggest he and Porte get the band back together, crazy talk

Maybe they should build the dream team, Froome, Porte, Nibs, Valverde and bring in Cav for the sprints

The question on the how many teams would take him for half the price is not always a buying special. He would of shopped himself everywhere there is no doubt as a rider like him would its normal. A team spending half price money of 2M euro a year is huge, you can get 3-5 very very good riders for that per year and also get longevity on a developing rider. Chris isnt guaranteed to win again for any team and the common thought patter will be something like this:

If he wins: Its Chris Froome

If he doesn't: Its ISN

How many times has a rider gone from winning on 1 team to not winning on another a year later and the immediate reaction is the team. Valgren for example is one. There many more. 

So does a team long term want a scenario like that and potentially ward off further rider negotiations? If he wins, the opposite happens. 

Just cause a rider is cheap, doesn't make him a wanted item for any team. 

is he though?

what is stopping ISN from supporting him? - although if that happened i'd expect Ineos to boot him 

i'd prefer him to move right now so that there is no in fighting. 

will ultimately lead to a more exciting race

They don't have the riders. Short of Dan Martin handing him bottles, probably the lack of riders who will be in the front group in the high mountains would preclude this from even being possible.

So whats going to happen this Tour? Surely Bernal and Chris (and Gee) will be lining up fit & frisky ftw,

will the road decide or will there be team orders?

So whats going to happen this Tour? Surely Bernal and Chris (and Gee) will be lining up fit & frisky ftw,

will the road decide or will there be team orders?

Go watch "The Least Expected Day".  It is Spanish with English subtitles, but so entertaining.

INEOS' first, and foremost, goal will be to win the Tour - secondary to that will be who wins it for them. They don't leave anything to chance, and won't go there without a designated leader - based on their form leading into the Tour. Everyone there knows their individual responsibility.

Have a listen to Watts Occurring, the podcast series from G and Luke (Rowe). They often talk about the team. G had been preparing since November for this year's Tour, then wasn't sure after the lockdown started, and lately has been mentioning he knows how to prepare, now that the dates are "known".

If Froome's fitness/form is not up to scratch, they won't pick him a leader, irrespective of his desire to win a 5th Tour, as the team's goal is to win the Tour first.

doubt it.

since no one has ever won consecutively with 3 different winners

Sky just did exactly at the TdF:  Bernal in 2019, Thomas in 2018 and Froome in 2017.

All 3 are riding this year.

Or have I interpreted incorrectly?

Sky just did exactly at the TdF:  Bernal in 2019, Thomas in 2018 and Froome in 2017.

All 3 are riding this year.

Or have I interpreted incorrectly?

No team has won on three on the trot with 3 different winners and had all three winners line up in the 4th tour With all three Previous winners in the team in with a shout of winning.