Cult of extream discipline

So a quick update on what happened after posting this, I am now firmly on the "road to recovery" actually it is more a constant learning curve, but things are looking much better! How did I do this, truth be told hard work that's all. I am now up by 5:30 most mornings, about 80% of my showers are cold showers, I meal prep twice a week and eat a good balanced diet. I put in a good day's graf (started taking studies seriously again and am now writing exams for 3rd year LLB) I put in a good day's graft most days (still have my off days) haven't touched the booze in over 5 months. Evenings are spent studying and then listing to a self improvement podcast (David Goggins is a firm favorite at the moment) then off to bed at 9 and repeat 6 days a week.

This is taken about a month ago now down to 116, rides are getting longer and faster.

*Ps thanks for some of the advice and feedback on here, really took some of it to heart and it has helped me more than you think! This is an awesome community thanks bike hub!

wow. when said put on a bit of weight........

well done for getting back on track

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any updates about the girls volleyball team though?

Well obviously with the weight loss mind set adjustment and stuff they have now taken a bit of an interest and will subsequently be otherwise occupied and hence too busy to reply on this thread.

Edited by Sitting@89

So a quick update on what happened after posting this, I am now firmly on the "road to recovery" actually it is more a constant learning curve, but things are looking much better! How did I do this, truth be told hard work that's all. I am now up by 5:30 most mornings, about 80% of my showers are cold showers, I meal prep twice a week and eat a good balanced diet. I put in a good day's graf (started taking studies seriously again and am now writing exams for 3rd year LLB) I put in a good day's graft most days (still have my off days) haven't touched the booze in over 5 months. Evenings are spent studying and then listing to a self improvement podcast (David Goggins is a firm favorite at the moment) then off to bed at 9 and repeat 6 days a week.

This is taken about a month ago now down to 116, rides are getting longer and faster.

*Ps thanks for some of the advice and feedback on here, really took some of it to heart and it has helped me more than you think! This is an awesome community thanks bike hub!

WELL DONE!!! 

This is bloody motivating stuff. 

Only good can come from this, great start.

In my limited timed response,

Write down your goal, your main ultimate goal or the closest you have to it, then...

Break down each step you think you'll need to take to get there, most likely there will be a few of them, don't let this discourage you, just write them all down. Make the list comprehensive.

Once you are done, start with the first step, it will be small but accomplishing this is an amazing boost to your confidence.

Continue with the steps.

A funny think about pursuing your goals is that along the way you will meet like minded people who will help you in even the smallest ways. The main thing is to just start.

Good luck.

This. Also grinds my fn gears when people just assume it is impossible to help yourself out of a rut and that you need to go talk and listen to some equally broken (entry requirement - true story) person about problems that they usually have no clue about anyway.

I say this as someone who has helped themself out of similar ruts in the past. Part of the problem with this kind of thinking is you are groomed by modern society to believe that you don't possess the tools or ability to help yourself. Thats utter BS, and such a western thing. If you have the will to change, you don't need some kop dokter to tell you that. People rely too much on doctors TELLING them whats wrong rather than taking control of their own situation and getting **** done.

Obviously there are exceptions...but OP seems to have found that something in himself that got him out of his rut and moving forward...positively. That is more powerful than any crap someone can tell you at a listening session, and the reward is so much more empowering when you know it was all you. It becomes this perpetual positivity machine.

Sometimes a person must just get his/her gat in rat and start doing ****.

• 1 month later...

Hit another big milestone this week, broke the 110kg barrier, first time in a decade, now the lightest I have been since uni.

Well fuc*ING done dude!!!

Your commitment to this is inspiring

This. Also grinds my fn gears when people just assume it is impossible to help yourself out of a rut and that you need to go talk and listen to some equally broken (entry requirement - true story) person about problems that they usually have no clue about anyway.

I say this as someone who has helped themself out of similar ruts in the past. Part of the problem with this kind of thinking is you are groomed by modern society to believe that you don't possess the tools or ability to help yourself. Thats utter BS, and such a western thing. If you have the will to change, you don't need some kop dokter to tell you that. People rely too much on doctors TELLING them whats wrong rather than taking control of their own situation and getting **** done.

Obviously there are exceptions...but OP seems to have found that something in himself that got him out of his rut and moving forward...positively. That is more powerful than any crap someone can tell you at a listening session, and the reward is so much more empowering when you know it was all you. It becomes this perpetual positivity machine.

Not to hijack the thread, bit I do feel the need to interject here, and provide some perspective.

Your assumption that all psychiatrists and psychologists have something wrong with them, and that forced the to study and become one sound familiar. I had this idea too.

I also thought I can just "snap out of it" (Jerry Seinfeld - Comedians in cars drinking coffee). Fast forward 200km/h and me trying not to get home to my family, I had to look for help.

I found someone who is completely unbiased, has no personal agenda, and has taught me the tools to get my head right. Tools i seriously did not posess, contrary to your opinion.

You are not in a position to downplay a person's mental state. You clearly also do not have the tools to teach someone to use the correct coping mechanisms. What worked for you, is not a fit-for all solution. 

I respect your right to have an opinion, I'm not gonna tell you what you are allowed to post on a open forum, I'm just giving you a bit of perspective, hopefully shedding some light to others that may feel that mental illness is some small thing that can be sorted out by a good "rule nr5" in the mirror when you wake up. 

The "ruts" you refer to vary in depth, some are small and you can just roll out of them, others seem more like canyons, that seem impossible to get out of.

Am I the only one concerned that the extreme discipline of this cult doesn't extend to spelling the word extreme in the thread title correctly?

Extremely

Am I the only one concerned that the extreme discipline of this cult doesn't extend to spelling the word extreme in the thread title correctly?

nope

oh and anything significant on the spelling of extreme? will there be reaming?

Yes  :P

Hit another big milestone this week, broke the 110kg barrier, first time in a decade, now the lightest I have been since uni.

Well done bro, thats an epic before and after!