Cult of extream discipline

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If getting fat, losing your girlfriend, not earning enough because you don’t work hard enough is not enough motivation to change your ways, I’m not sure someone shouting at you at 4:30 in the morning to get out of bed will be any different. At some stage you’ll have to realise you have to push yourself if you want to achieve anything. If you don’t care about yourself enough to make it happen, why would anyone else?

I think he solution to the OP's problem is not a community of misery as he proposed but rather.....

A gyminstructress girlfriend!!!

This is going to be a slightly longer post as I need to give background and context to the idea. The story begins about two weeks ago, I received a message from my girlfriend (who at the time was admitted to Poortview psychiatric hospital) that our 4 year relationship was no longer working for her and that she thought we were no longer compatible.

Que 2 weeks of roller coaster emotions and some deep introspection and I realize that much of this situation is because of my actions and speaks volumes of who I had become (or rather not become) in the confines of a comfortable relationship. To name but a few; I had started drinking too much, packing on weight, had a lackluster attitude to work performance (I earn commission only so this directly showed in my ability to contribute to household upkeep), I had developed a general attitude of complacency in life.

Fast forward to today, here I am thinking, there are so many lost souls out there who can do with some guidance and discipline, why not form a commune/cult of discipline of sorts, rent out a 3 bedroom house each guy that buys into the idea forks in 6k a month, stack rooms with 2 single beds each, live together with the following goals: everyone is up at 4:30am, daily compulsory training sessions, meal prep is done together (cooking only healthy meals), compulsory self improvement lectures every night (masterclass tutorials etc.) the idea would be that it would be a 6 months transformation program of sorts, with each individual pushing their peers to higher levels.

If the idea resonates with your, or might work for someone you know give me a shout (pm or whatever)

PS. my thinking that got me here was a process of critically evaluating mental health issues, and seeing dozens of great people ruined by reaching for easy out options (basically medicating live problems away)

*edit grammar

Join the French Foreign Legion,do all the above and you’ll get to see the world[emoji106][emoji3]

To clarify a couple of things based on the response (all of them wholeheartedly appreciated) it’s not that I feel lost in life or defeated (quite the contrary) it would have been easy enough to cruise along the way I had been, never truly losing but never really winning either because for the most part I had taken myself out of the game.

Yes the idea of calling it a "cult" is probably somewhat dramatic and might in hindsight set the wrong tone however it seems to have prompted response. I noted that quite a couple of replies mentioned motivation, and there in lies half the problem that causes most people to fail, they think that you should be amped all the time to get things done, this is a sure fire way to fail very quickly and spectacularly.

The idea I proposed was more a tight knit community of accountability, not a tyranny of a misguided leader. Some responses clearly indicate that many people missed the point that I was trying to make that some people might benefit from structure routine and camaraderie.

And welcome to the Hub! Before you do anything drastic, spend some time here, you'll get abused, laughed at, give some bad advice, told to grow a pair and generally advised poorly, AND, you'll meet some really cool okes, get some life advice, maybe get to ride with some of the legends of the HUB and just generally have a jol nattering to faceless hubbers who really only want the best for everyone....mostly....you may find after a while you won't need to go to some extreme dormitory to suffer real abuse....

Edited by capediver

To clarify a couple of things based on the response (all of them wholeheartedly appreciated) it’s not that I feel lost in life or defeated (quite the contrary) it would have been easy enough to cruise along the way I had been, never truly losing but never really winning either because for the most part I had taken myself out of the game.

Yes the idea of calling it a "cult" is probably somewhat dramatic and might in hindsight set the wrong tone however it seems to have prompted response. I noted that quite a couple of replies mentioned motivation, and there in lies half the problem that causes most people to fail, they think that you should be amped all the time to get things done, this is a sure fire way to fail very quickly and spectacularly.

The idea I proposed was more a tight knit community of accountability, not a tyranny of a misguided leader. Some responses clearly indicate that many people missed the point that I was trying to make that some people might benefit from structure routine and camaraderie.

Start a youtube channel and film it as you go along.

https://twitter.com/NelioDeSa/status/271600231248953344

kamp staaldraad jokes aside, not sure what you're expecting with this thread?

validation for the idea?

filming deal?

team mates?

I think the reason why kamp staaldraad was a failure was because it probably started as a good idea that got taken to extremes, when the underlying base wasn't in place.

Your plan sounds more survivor/lord of the flies than wellnes camp.

this is way above my paygrade, and probably 99% of the members here too. I'd go seek some quality advice from a professional. getting your head right is #1 in the process.

I'm a little old school so my logic is this. If you can't/won't do it alone then what are you going to do when the cult is over and you're alone again?

That said a super fit dudes house sounds pretty cool if you're in the right age bracket and mentality!

I'm a little old school so my logic is this. If you can't/won't do it alone then what are you going to do when the cult is over and you're alone again?

That said a super fit dudes house sounds pretty cool if you're in the right age bracket and mentality!

Right next to a female beach volleyball team house!

I’m in!

So in reply to the last three posts, not sure precisely what I was looking to get out of the post (most probably a bit of validation that the idea was not total bat sh#t). The idea Kamp staaldraad was actually borrowed from a similar camp done by the ABs, so yeah good idea bad mindset in the camp.

Also on the age bracket and mindset, I would say a hard rule would be over 30s only.

And female beach volleyball camp, goes without saying.

Edited by Sitting@89

oh and anything significant on the spelling of extreme? will there be reaming?

Daily spelling classes included ;)

If the men are to share rooms, will there be a celibacy clause, will there be 'private' times ar will there be a designated 'fap closet'?

You've just glossed over the first paragraph of your post and focused all of it in your training camp. Having been through something similar I think it's important you actually spend time getting your head space right around all of that.

As for the training camp.... I have no real comment on that.. Sounds like something that I would run away from.. But different strokes for different folks. Me, personally, I found the mental strength in achieving a goal by myself far more rewarding

It often takes an event to catch a gradual slide in life.

I have seen it many times with smokers quitting on the spot after a health scare or someone nearly losing their partner after letting a relationship slide.

You have had an event and now you have the motivation to get things back on track. If you make it exciting for yourself and push as hard as you can then that will keep you going.

It becomes like chasing strava times or pushing FTP, you just end up wanting to do better.