Are cyclist just too superior to keep their masks/buffs on

Stefalbertyn

I can almost hear John Lennon. Sweet sentiment, but I think elevating masks to a universal symbol of brotherhood is smearing it on a bit thick.

I never look for agreeable voices or search for consensus on this platform. I type for myself. However, the trolling of the day definitely belongs to you, hey. Met eish.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest research shows clearly that in open the sunlight daylight virtually instantly killed the virus as the cells are susceptible to the full spectrum of UV penetrating the virus DNA and quickly destroying it when it’s airborne. So to wear a mask out in the open is rather ridiculous as many professionals in the medical field agree keeping your distance is important though.

Factually incorrect

The latest research shows clearly that in open the sunlight daylight virtually instantly killed the virus as the cells are susceptible to the full spectrum of UV penetrating the virus DNA and quickly destroying it when it’s airborne. So to wear a mask out in the open is rather ridiculous as many professionals in the medical field agree keeping your distance is important though.

and there you have it! I am pleased the high court has confirmed the point i have been making all day!

I would not bet even a R50 on your mask issue going away after the dust settles on this if I were you. Way worse regulations out there currently when looking for rationality.

What I do have appreciation for is that people didn't just bitch and moan about something online but actually did something about it. They need kudos for making the Minister run back and go apply some rationality to the whole process of containing the spread across the board.

Question remains: will we all tow the line if the new regulations come back and is deemed rational? Or will we continue with cherry picking the ones that fit our "wants" and perceptions?

I do have appreciation that sunlight does allot of good in killing this thing outside.

Up here in Gauteng we have plenty of sunshine hours each day now during winter.

What about those Cape winter times where the sun stays away an eternity? And before sunrise and after sunset? How's should the regulations read

"Thou shalt wear a mask unless the sun shines on thou face"

The regulations will become clumsy.

Maybe that is where the seasonality of all these viruses lies, in the hours of sunlight per day and the amount of time this thing has available to try and jump to the next host. (never really thought about it like that TBH)

Virus is vulnerable to UV light and concentrated UV does "kill" it - but not instantly. Least conducive environment for the virus is combination of direct sunlight, high temperature and high humidity.

Expand on that Mamil

Virus is vulnerable to UV light and concentrated UV does "kill" it - but not instantly. Least conducive environment for the virus is combination of direct sunlight, high temperature and high humidity.

Yes that is how I understand it. Lifespan of 2to3min in direct sunlight

We are presenting two different points.

I agree that the wearing of masks (from what I have read, seen and been told by the UK news and press, and doctors on the various platforms) offers limited protection during exercise. They only recommend using it here if and when social distancing cannot be adhered too.

However, sticking to the rules  also contributes to society and the social contracts that we all participate it, to follow the rules, especially if they are easy to follow and not damaging.  Here it is not a rule to wear one while cycling. But if it was, I can bet you that most people would do it, and people would call you out for not doing it.

Breaking the rules and not wearing a mask while on bicycle does more damage to the perception of cyclists than it does damage to you as a person to wear one. 

Why not just wear one for the sake of society, even if it is stupid in your mind, or not necessary in mine. It you physically cannot ride with one on, well then lets cross that bridge.

Edit: I have made my point, if the above does not clear it up, then I fear nothing will. I am also very sure that nothing anybody says will change your mind to wear one, so whats the point. 

I'm with you on the perception and sake of society, Those are also more of a reason why I actually try to follow the limited hours bracket for training, mask while riding (as much as possible) rules etc

But not the damaging, I argue that inconsistent rules that are not well thought out, that is decided in urgency and then not reconsidered once calmness for though become available, are in fact damaging

• These rules must be consistent across countries right? Otherwise the logic and science are inconsistent. Who is more right or more incorrect?
  • These rules are an easy option / false security for people that prefer to shift personable responsibility to black and white rules, with no effort to consider the risk in a certain location/environment where a human vs what the rule try to achieve/prevent.
  • It detracts focus from things that someone should take serious and ask the government to make part of the rules. E.g. enforce shops to provide a hand cover to be added right before using a ATM/payment point and discard it immediately afterwards. How can that not be required, but one must keep a mask on when you cycle 10km outside of Groot brak...

Explaining high risk environments vs low risk environments and the reward/urgency of taking responsibilities etc to a nation might just be more rewarding on the long run. (Obviously to rather do that by practicing that line of thought on the common cold, protected sex etc before doing that on a pandemic :mellow: )

Inconsistency in rules must be queried, for the sake of mankind. To simple accept rules (or those not made) because society accepted (as required/not required) them - which they did because government (not) made that rule.... are not very bright and just group pressure. (But it sound nice)

So many things merely stated as fact, unless you're an expert in the particular subject it may help your 'cause' if some credible source could be provided? No I don't know what y'alls credentials are...

Just an observation, use it don't use it, whatever blows your hair back

So many things merely stated as fact, unless you're an expert in the particular subject it may help your 'cause' if some credible source could be provided? No I don't know what y'alls credentials are...

True, the only people who had any inherent credibility on here(the actual qualified doctors) have left these threads a long time ago already. Sad really. The rest of us are just amateur Google Searchers... trying to make sense of this unknown thing disrupting our every sense of being.

True, the only people who had any inherent credibility on here(the actual qualified doctors) have left these threads a long time ago already. Sad really. The rest of us are just amateur Google Searchers... trying to make sense of this unknown thing disrupting our every sense of being.

And those with families in the medical field, with access to the latest stats and facts, are replying less and less ....

I'm with you on the perception and sake of society, Those are also more of a reason why I actually try to follow the limited hours bracket for training, mask while riding (as much as possible) rules etc

But not the damaging, I argue that inconsistent rules that are not well thought out, that is decided in urgency and then not reconsidered once calmness for though become available, are in fact damaging

• These rules must be consistent across countries right? Otherwise the logic and science are inconsistent. Who is more right or more incorrect?
  • These rules are an easy option / false security for people that prefer to shift personable responsibility to black and white rules, with no effort to consider the risk in a certain location/environment where a human vs what the rule try to achieve/prevent.
  • It detracts focus from things that someone should take serious and ask the government to make part of the rules. E.g. enforce shops to provide a hand cover to be added right before using a ATM/payment point and discard it immediately afterwards. How can that not be required, but one must keep a mask on when you cycle 10km outside of Groot brak...

Explaining high risk environments vs low risk environments and the reward/urgency of taking responsibilities etc to a nation might just be more rewarding on the long run. (Obviously to rather do that by practicing that line of thought on the common cold, protected sex etc before doing that on a pandemic :mellow: )

Inconsistency in rules must be queried, for the sake of mankind. To simple accept rules (or those not made) because society accepted (as required/not required) them - which they did because government (not) made that rule.... are not very bright and just group pressure. (But it sound nice)

You make some really good points ????????

Are you an expert professional hair dresser?