CWC selling used components as new

Odin775

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how sentiment drives the mood on the internet.

A year or four ago, in a thread dedicated to singing CW's praises I described how their Greenpoint store tried to rip me off.

Someone told me what a d@@s I was to p!ss in the soup, and then 8 posters took it upon themselves to k@k me out. One even called for my post to be deleted.

It seems that CWC no longer walks on water and it is now possible to point out facts that paint them in a less than saintly light without being condemned for it.

I remember this, along with some guy who wanted to buy them pizza... sure he feels like a d*ck rider now.

They won't close. They're like the bike supermarket vs your local butcher or deli.

Ask most non cyclist where to go for bike related stuff, at least in the northern suburbs, and they'll say CWC.

Never say never.

i remember not too long ago when a certain WE cycles was king of the hill with ques running out the doors at Argus time from the till.

Continual bad service will get to them and they are loosing customers daily 

I didn't mean to compare them to Checkers or Shoprite, but they don't sit at the same level as your LBS.

I see them as a more mass market focused. Even though they stock good brands and products, I would like to see the proportion oof their business done with more entry level products, like Titan, Kids bikes etc... I wouldn't buy a high end bike from them for example, but I have no issue poping in to grab 2 bombs and some chain lube

Ah, I get your gist. So rather than buy a B.S.O. from Game or Makro, rather go get a entry to mid level bike from CWC, but anything higher up gets taken to the people who know their stuff such as a proper LBS, where service is always a smile away, and you might even get treated to a cuppa while you wait.

Mate of mine rides a Giant Anthem 26er [edit - which he bought from Cycle Lab, ironically] which is coming up on 10 years old now. Just before CTCT we rode up the Glen to stretch the legs, and he managed to strain his front derailleur. He finagled it to the point of working and rode the CTCT like that. Then he took it to CWC to fix. They charged him R100 for the job. He's been back 4 times since with the problem remaining.

Now, I know that for the charge, it probably seemed to them a small issue, but that is not the point. 4 x comebacks is not acceptable. I used to be a service manager for a technical office equipment workshop, and 1 x comeback was regarded as bad.

Edited by Robbie Stewart

nothing really strange ... happened to me with a Cape Union Mart Back Pack too .... writing this off to human error under work pressure.

Hairy? You sure you paid for the backpack?  :ph34r: "human error under work pressure" that is a new one :whistling:  

A year or four ago, in a thread dedicated to singing CW's praises I described how their Greenpoint store tried to rip me off. 

Someone told me what a d@@s I was to p!ss in the soup, and then 8 posters took it upon themselves to k@k me out.   One even called for my post to be deleted.  

It seems that CWC no longer walks on water and it is now possible to point out facts that paint them in a less than saintly light without being condemned for it.

I was JUST thinking the same thing.

Many moons ago, in my "The Hub" infancy I had a less than positive experience with an order from CWC. I dared share this on an existing thread about the Golden Shop - man, I was flamed with fire that would put old Mephistopheles to shame. It was "Oom Chris" this and "Oom Chris" that and I was called names that I last heard in my (boys) high school years.

I wonder how Oom Chis must feel when reading what's happened to his once-proud establishment at the hands of Cycling Walmart.

Edited by Karooryder

Come what may 90% of their client base just care about the price, service won't matter to them as long as it's piss cheap

And when the service does matter they'll quickly forget when the next "ask what you want" BS comes along

Its often not cheap though. I find the smaller shops are better value these days. Both in price and sometimes in product range...and answering a question you may have....!

Edited by Mojoman

I follow mechanics around. If they move I move. A good bike mechanic is hard to find.

Word.

Hairy? You sure you paid for the backpack?  :ph34r: "human error under work pressure" that is a new one :whistling:  

I will have to ask my ... she went out and bought it for me :)

Someone told me what a d@@s I was to p!ss in the soup, and then 8 posters took it upon themselves to k@k me out.   One even called for my post to be deleted.  

I don't think it's just sentiment, the fact that their name is getting dragged under a bus here and there's been no comment/response yet says loads.

The place has changed, they will say that the CL deal was just a national arrangement and the family will be in durbanville just as before running it as in the past.

They got a lot of tap for the deal, amongst other things Cylelab instigated the pricefixing shenanigans while CWC were running grey imports to keep pricing down -  those memories don't fade easily.

I don't think it's just sentiment, the fact that their name is getting dragged under a bus here and there's been no comment/response yet says loads.

The place has changed, they will say that the CL deal was just a national arrangement and the family will be in durbanville just as before running it as in the past.

They got a lot of tap for the deal, amongst other things Cylelab instigated the pricefixing shenanigans while CWC were running grey imports to keep pricing down -  those memories don't fade easily.

Good old CL and Cool Heat really did well with their public image with the price fixing.

and the cartel still exists and is very active

Good old CL and Cool Heat really did well with their public image with the price fixing.

that is still usiness as usual. They just don't post the minutes on BikeHub anymore...